Menu

If I have a spelling program, do I need phonics too?

debbiec

I feel really stupid asking this. Son #1 is in high school and son#2 is younger and I'm starting all over with him and can't remember if it was that important. What I remembered doing was using Spelling Workout and I correlated MCP phonics with the spelling lesson for extra practice and reinforcement. I can't remember if it was really useful or not and most importantly if I need it. Younger son is reading about 1st/2nd grade level and need more review with phonics for decoding, so phonics pages are OK, but do I need a full blown reading "program" in addition to spelling. I was planning on using All About Spelling with him for next fall, going quicker through Level 1 and slower through Level 2 and just supplement with MCP phonics again? What do you think. I looked at WRR and SWR, way too much of a program for me to use in reality ~

I use a phonics program up to 2nd grade, and I start a spelling program in 2nd grade. There's a little bit of overlap that year, but it's a good transition. However, if the child is not grounded in the phonics' rules, I wouldn't abandon a phonics program. Once the phonics has been established, my focus turns to reading comprehension. I used SWO and MCP with my oldest. I'll use R&S reading and spelling with my youngest.

I have two sons who are widely spaced as are yours and I also used MCP phonics along with my spelling program when I brought my older one home in second grade. He still had quite a bit of difficulty in reading so I thought I needed to emphasize phonics more with him. I used it for two years and then dropped it because I felt he was so strong in his reading skills by that time that I just didn't need it any longer.

With my younger son, I used Phonics Pathways to get him reading, as I brought him home in first grade and he still wasn't reading yet. By the time we finished with it and worked our way through quite a lot of graded readers from our library system, I felt he had a good command of his phonics rules and of reading in general, so I didn't feel the need to use further phonics work for him. I also started SWO level A with him that year, and it has some basic phonics in the first half of it. We also used some odds and ends of phonics worksheets that I already had on hand.

So it doesn't sound to me like you need a reading program at all. But using phonics to supplement your spelling and help him cement those skills as well as his phonics rules would probably serve you well. With regard to what book to use, I think MCP is fine. Really, probably any sort of phonics workbooks would serve your purpose.

Regena

I feel really stupid asking this. ...but do I need a full blown reading "program" in addition to spelling. I was planning on using All About Spelling with him for next fall, going quicker through Level 1 and slower through Level 2 and just supplement with MCP phonics again? What do you think. I looked at WRR and SWR, way too much of a program for me to use in reality ~

First of all, you are not stupid! Second, I would not use a full program, but something along the lines of MCP or Explode the Code. The ETC are my favorites as they use the "less is more" philosophy on the pages which I really like. They still cover the same phonics material, but it is less expensive, easy to use, and very child-friendly. MCP, IMHO, was too busy.

HTH!

Warmly,

Kate

I use Spelling Workout after they learn to read with 100EZ lessons. They also read aloud to me often during the week so I know if pronunciation is a problem. Because they spend so much free time reading I don't do an additional phonics program once they are reading fluently. Instead we spend our language arts time using R&S grammar and SWO. They are good spellers so far and reading well above grade level.