Menu

Writing for 8th grader after LTOW

I am needing advice on how to proceed with writing for my daughter who will be in 8th grade this fall. She did 1/2 of Cover Story and then Time Capsule through Attune Up in 6th grade. This year for 7th grade we did CC, so she will have completed Lost Tools of Writing 1 as well as misc. science reports. I really don't know where to go from here. I ordered WWS for my 6th grader to start after doing IEW SWI B this year. It looks very good, but I am wondering if it is too incremental or slow for my 8th grader. She wouldn't complete the course until 10th grade at one level per year. I like that it is taught to the student though. Has anyone used WWS at a faster pace? Is there another curriculum I should look at? Writing is not my forte so I need something clear and easy to follow like WWS looks to be. Budget is a factor, so I am not looking at online classes this year.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Angela

I did WWS 2 with a 9th grader who had not done WWS 1.  Since you are purchasing WWS 1 anyway, you could look closely at it and move on to 2 or do some parts of WWS 1 (that might be better).  Then he did some of WWS 3 and then AP English online.

I also really like the imitation work that Writing in English by Maxwell does.  https://books.google.com/books/about/Writing_in_English.html?id=s1sQAAAAYAAJ

I'm not far into it, but the analysis portions are similar to the WWS series, but the imitation part is not.  

• Like 1