Menu

Trilingual literacy--when to start 3rd language reading instruction?

Hola, salut, hi. We are a trilingual family--Spanish, French & English. I'd like to teach my daughter to read in Spanish but am unsure when to begin. She is 6 years old, in 1st grade, & reading in English at a 3rd-(early) 4th grade level. She reads at a low CP grade level in French--let's say at a high K'er level. Her French heritage Saturday school doesn't seem too concerned about this--apparently it's normal with multilinguals--& will continue to build her French literacy at her pace next year, in 2nd grade. The question is: do I reinforce her budding French skills this summer or introduce Spanish reading? I cannot do both--don't think I'll have the time, energy or desire. I am torn because I am excited to open her world to Spanish literacy while she's still so impressionable & hungry for knowledge--as only a 6 year old can be. The other part of me wants to bolster her emerging French skills so she's better prepared for the Fall's ensuing French reading instruction. The bottom line though is that it'll be my summer break too & I myself will need lots of R & R--it'll be my 1st long break after being a SAHM for 6 years. We will travel, enjoy each other's company, revel in summer's offerings & just take a breather from the school year's hectic pace & demands. So......any other trilingual families out there with practical & experienced advice is greatly appreciated!

I would just get her some books that she would like and leave it to her. You don't need to teach reading in Spanish since she already knows how to read. If she is avoiding reading in one of the minority languages because it is harder for her than reading in English, substitute the Spanish or French version of a book in a series that she is particularly interested in.

• Like 2

Your dd will probably find reading in Spanish to be comparatively easy, as it is much more phonetically regular than English and much more phonetic than French. Just give her a book and she'll probably amaze you!

If you must do something over the summer, I'd give that time to French.

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 2

Your dd will probably find reading in Spanish to be comparatively easy, as it is much more phonetically regular than English and much more phonetic than French. Just give her a book and she'll probably amaze you!

If you must do something over the summer, I'd give that time to French.

Thanks for your reply. I also believe she will find Spanish easier. I think she does need more time with French phonics, which is a bit more complex than Spanish phonics. Thanks for affirming my gut instinct--to solidify the French over the summer.

• Like 1

I can only tell you what we have done with my oldest who is a fairly mature 6yo. We introduced Welsh reading at 3, English reading at 4, and French reading at 5 (he is still not fluent in French, but improving plenty). 

It's gone very well. Currently he's reading Welsh at Key Stage 2 level (7-11years), English at 3rd grade +, and French at CP level. 

His comprehension is lowest in French, but as he speaks more and adds more vocabulary, I'm convinced it will improve. 

If it were me, I'd plunge right into Spanish with a child who demonstrates comfort with academics. On the other hand, I'm taking it slower with my daughter who's currently 4. She does not demonstrate the same ability to concentrate, so we're spending more time on Welsh, and will push the other two languages back a year, possibly more, if necessary.

I can only tell you what we have done with my oldest who is a fairly mature 6yo. We introduced Welsh reading at 3, English reading at 4, and French reading at 5 (he is still not fluent in French, but improving plenty).

It's gone very well. Currently he's reading Welsh at Key Stage 2 level (7-11years), English at 3rd grade +, and French at CP level.

His comprehension is lowest in French, but as he speaks more and adds more vocabulary, I'm convinced it will improve.

If it were me, I'd plunge right into Spanish with a child who demonstrates comfort with academics. On the other hand, I'm taking it slower with my daughter who's currently 4. She does not demonstrate the same ability to concentrate, so we're spending more time on Welsh, and will push the other two languages back a year, possibly more, if necessary.

Yes, thanks for the input. I shall try a light-hearted, no pressure attempt at Spanish this summer & see how it goes. As another said, she just may run with it. My true focus will be bolstering her French though, like you're doing. Thanks!

• Like 1