Menu

Any curriculum recommendations for elementary Spanish? I tried to do a search and so many threads came up it was hard to wade through them. My kids are 2nd/3rd grade, 1st grade, and a tag along preschooler (almost 5).

I'm using LaClaseDivertida (The Fun Class) with my 3rd, 1st and preschoolers and they really love it. I don't hear complaints from any of them when it is Spanish time. It is a mixture of DVD,audio CD, and craft activities (with a workbook, too). We are only on week 4, but they have really liked the songs which have taught the vowels, alphabet, and days of the week. They learned colors and a few questions/answers (What is your name?, What is your favorite color?). For arts/crafts - we've done a Mexico flag, cooked fried plantains, and made a woodbark painting.

My older two are using Rosetta Stone Spanish and enjoying it. I think the little ones will go through as many of the levels of LCD (there are 3 so far) that I can do and then jump into Rosetta Stone.

Here's a link if you are interested: http://www.funclase.com/welcome.html

Hth!

This is so strange when I asked about a year ago all I ever saw was Learnables. Now no one is recommending it. I am confused now!! My plan was to start with The Fun Spanish and then move into Learnables, then Powerglide (it sounds really fun). I have a link that explains The Fun Spanish. If you can already speak *some* Spanish it would work.

Spanish program that's NOT video or computer-based?

This is so strange when I asked about a year ago all I ever saw was Learnables. Now no one is recommending it. I am confused now!! My plan was to start with The Fun Spanish and then move into Learnables, then Powerglide (it sounds really fun). I have a link that explains The Fun Spanish. If you can already speak *some* Spanish it would work.

Well the reason we got different answers might be because you specifically asked for one that is not video based.....I have to have something to hear the accent, I've never taken Spanish.

Well the reason we got different answers might be because you specifically asked for one that is not video based.....I have to have something to hear the accent, I've never taken Spanish.

I did not ask that. I just happened to have that one. No, a year ago someone was all over the boards with Learnables. I saw it in lots of threads. It's funny. AAS and CLE were that way for a while too, even though few people are actually using CLE, they were recommending it everywhere.

Berlitz is supposed to be very good for picking up the accent, BTW.

...then Powerglide (it sounds really fun).

PowerGlide is not fun, I'm sorry to report; it is DREARY. The idea behind it is fun, but the actual program is not.

We finished it all the way to the end, and I doubt many others have. I do not recommend it.

(I'm talking about the Jr. program.)

From everything I've read, I have to agree that Powerglide sounds like it's boring.

As someone who has taken Spanish from 5th grade to 12th grade, my plan is to go with:

Kidspeak (computer program with games) and Cantemos (DVD with songs) from K-1

The Easy Spanish from 2-4th years

Spanish for Children 5th-7th years

8th-11th So You Really Want to Learn Spanish (not level 1, but whatever level I feel ds and dd will be on) or Nuevas Vistas Advanced Spanish (whichever I'll feel will serve their needs better)

12th year: Sendas Literarias (Spanish Literature program)

Coupled with all these, I'll have them read books well, starting in 3rd grade. From 9th grade onwards it will be a Foreign Film Festival Extravaganza around here! :D

Hey, I'm a Larvae???! Royal, but a Larvae?? :lol:

Edited by sagira

I can't give you a review on it yet, but I will be starting Escucha y Hablemos with my dds 5 and 7 in the next couple weeks. I wanted a program they could do together, and dd5's reading and writing skills aren't at a level yet where I feel comfortable introducing a reading or writing component to their foreign language studies. However, I still want them to start developing an ear for the language. This program seems to be a good fit for us, as it is geared mostly toward listening and speaking. We will probably explore one of the other programs mentioned in this thread after a year or two.

From everything I've read, I have to agree that Powerglide sounds like it's boring.

As someone who has taken Spanish from 5th grade to 12th grade, my plan is to go with:

Kidspeak (computer program with games) and Cantemos (DVD with songs) from K-1

The Easy Spanish from 2-4th years

Spanish for Children 5th-7th years

8th-11th So You Really Want to Learn Spanish (not level 1, but whatever level I feel ds and dd will be on) or Nuevas Vistas Advanced Spanish (whichever I'll feel will serve their needs better)

12th year: Sendas Literarias (Spanish Literature program)

Coupled with all these, I'll have them read books well, starting in 3rd grade. From 9th grade onwards it will be a Foreign Film Festival Extravaganza around here! :D

Hey, I'm a Larvae???! Royal, but a Larvae?? :lol:

I will look into these. I'm sorta highjacking this thread. We are starting Spanish next year. I thought I would definitely do The Fun Spanish, as DH can pronounce things for us and I thought it would be easy to add in ASL at the same time. Are you familiar with Learnables? Would you use your K-1 suggestions for 2nd grade if we are starting then?

I would recommend the Elementary Spanish Program on Discovery Streaming. I have a Spanish degree but honestly don't have the time with a 3yo and a 2yo along with a special needs 7yo to teach it myself. You can buy a subscription to Discovery Streaming or Discovery Streaming Plus for a huge discount through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op Group Buys. Actually their group buy for the regular subscription (a little cheaper than the plus but you don't get as many videos - I use this subscription and am very happy with it though) ends tonight at midnight but their buy for DS Plus goes on until the end of Dec.

I decided on using this b/c the stand alone Spanish program I was going to buy - also video based- was going to cost more that just a subscription to DS. And with DS you get 1000's of other educational videos as well. We have been very happy with their Spanish program and this is our second year using it. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask away - or PM me.

Hope that helps!

Discovery Streaming is a streaming service - that is, they store videos that you access on your computer. You cannot (supposedly) download and keep them forever - at least with the basic subscription. This may have changed now that Discovery Plus is available to homeschoolers. I know in public schools with the Plus they are able to download and burn videos.

They have 2 levels in their Elementary Spanish program: 1-2 and 3-4. Each level has 10 units and 10 lessons per unit. One hundred lessons per level and you would cover 50 a year. This year we are picking up the pace b/c ds7 is doing so well and retaining so much that we will cover closer to 75 lessons though. There are worksheets to go along with each lesson if you choose to use them as well.

They do cover the basics such as colors and numbers but so far ds has also learned names for members of the family -immediate and extended, tons of foods, parts of the body, rooms in the house, calendar words, lots and lots of phrases and simple sentences and much more that I can't think of right now. Tonight in the bathtub he told me in Spanish, "Soy un nino. Me llamo Thatcher. Tengo siete anos. Hablo espanol un poco." (Translation: I am a boy. My name is Thatcher. I am 7 years old. I speak a little Spanish.) I was tickled to death! :)

They continually review old vocabulary as they fold in new words and phrases too which I really like.

If you have any more questions, ask away.

You can get a 30 day free trial to Discovery Streaming here.

You can read about getting the subscription at a reduced price through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op here. Just scroll down until you see DS.

They have 2 levels in their Elementary Spanish program: 1-2 and 3-4. Each level has 10 units and 10 lessons per unit. One hundred lessons per level and you would cover 50 a year. This year we are picking up the pace b/c ds7 is doing so well and retaining so much that we will cover closer to 75 lessons though. There are worksheets to go along with each lesson if you choose to use them as well.

You can read about getting the subscription at a reduced price through the Homeschool Buyers Co-op here. Just scroll down until you see DS.

So I can get the Spanish program with the cheaper Discovery Streaming, which is $70 cheaper than Plus?