Menu

New Here

ehumenyik

Hi! I am exploring Classical education for my 3 children (10,8,6) we are in the middle of our second year of homeschooling. My oldest is dyslexic. I'm reading TWTM and I'm thinking to myself how can I plop my DS10 into the logic stage when he isn't reading well and doesn't have a firm foundation? Do I simply back up and continue to work on his foundation and he will eventually get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

Yes, continue to work on his foundation.

But you don't have to do only that. It you and he have time and energy (sometimes remediation takes all there is) you can move forward with all kinds of things using appropriate accommodations. Listening to a book on audio counts as reading it, you can take advantage of that for literature, science, history, etc.

If writing is problematic, you can try dictation software such as Dragon Naturally Speaking (my dad is using that to write his life story now that Parkinson's prevents him from typing) or he can dictate to you.

Documentaries are available for all kinds of things and can be very educational.

Some dyslexic kids excel at hands on projects.

Really, with these kids, we need to run with their strengths while working to remediate their weaknesses. My dyslexic dd8 has listened to thousands of hours of audiobooks, giving her a fabulous foundation in reading comprehension and vocabulary even though she can barely sound out three letter words. We work on that, but don't let it hold us back in other areas.

There is a book called Simply Classical about teaching kids with special needs; I haven't read it but it might be a source of ideas for how to provide a classical education to different learners. Personally I don't get hung up on whether things are classical--I'm just trying to provide an education that meets the needs of my individual children, whatever those are.

Once again, welcome to the boards; we're happy to have you on board :)

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

Hi! I am exploring Classical education for my 3 children (10,8,6) we are in the middle of our second year of homeschooling. My oldest is dyslexic. I'm reading TWTM and I'm thinking to myself how can I plop my DS10 into the logic stage when he isn't reading well and doesn't have a firm foundation? Do I simply back up and continue to work on his foundation and he will eventually get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the boards!  It's just my opinion, but I think you have to use a lot of common sense when you approach WTM with SN dc.  I think, in general, you're best to use the aspects of it that inspire you and DUMP the rest.  You must, must, must use your editorial, motherly, best homeschooler common sense and talk straight to yourself about this, kwim?  You know your kids.  If you read WTM and it inspires you to focus on foundations and basics, that's awesome!  If it inspires you to broaden exposure, that's awesome!  If it makes you feel GUILTY or like you're BEHIND, that's NOT AWESOME.

With my dd, who only has ADHD (no SLDs), WTM was sort of this touch point, an inspiration, where I could look at it and say ok, we're at this point and that point, this is the next step in the progression of that skill.  It inspired me and gave me an outline.  That worked for us.  We're largely interest-driven now and didn't pursue the WTM high school sequence.  I'm just really not of the force-fed high school mindset.  

With my ds, who has 3 SLDs, ADHD/ASD, verbal apraxia, keep the list going, I wouldn't even DREAM of trying to push him into the WTM mold.  He's gifted btw too.  It's really whack to work with.  He's sort of a less is more, go in with something really meaningful when he's really interested, then drop it as soon as he's done.  My classical roots inspire me to be broad with what I try to expose him too.  With his level of disability, it's silly to assume that the WTM progression would be adequate.  For anything in which he has a disability, he gets disability-specific materials.  Today we read about Ben Franklin, sculpted ice swords to go with a Guardians of Ga'Hoole book he ear-read on his kindle, alphabetized words (we're working on learning the order of the letters of the alphabet), and did math by measuring the table, skip counting with the tape measuring, and estimating as we moved his table to create a new work station.  He's just really himself, kwim?  

Now that you've homeschooled a couple years, you should really put your confidence on and say ok, I know what MY KIDS like, what they thrive on, what they like, what they don't like.  So take what inspires you in WTM and leave the rest.  Make yourself bold to *modify* the ideas to fit your kids.  So WTM says focus on foundations like being able to get out your thoughts.  But by dictation, on screen, on a cell phone, with a powerpoint, with a stop motion video made on an ipad, you have LOTS of options.  Those things are good for lots of kids but they're VITAL for our kids.  Our kids need to be able to use their tech, feel confident in their tech, and be empowered and creative with their tech.  So the more you customize, the better.  

Or, like I tell my dd, that boring assignment (write a critical book review) is the new amazon book review that earns people money.  Find the more engaging, modern way to apply the skill.  :)

• Like 5

Susan Wise Bauer is coming out with a revised edition of TWTM this summer and based on her posts on this forum, it will have an expanded section on learning disabilities and other special needs. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/558191-fourth-edition-of-twtm-asking-for-your-help/

Shore up the foundation before moving on. Remember that in the PS system, students with identified special needs can and often do attend high school up until their 22nd birthday. So there is really no rush to have the SN child graduate at 17 or 18 like typically developing students do. If your 10 y.o. is working at a 3rd grade equivalent, that is where you should have him.

• Like 2

Welcome!

1. I agree with up thread, work on remediation but don't JUST work on remediation.  I made that mistake with my own kids and nearly destroyed their love of learning.

2.  Keep work on skills (reading/writing/spelling) separate from content work.  In other words, your child can still be learning about areas of interest, and history/science/life skills while remediating input/output issues separately.  Scribe for them, read to them, let them listen to books, get them learning to type (Touch Type Read and Spell is a good program.  Buy it through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.), let them watch documentaries, and generally scaffold their weak areas while you work on remediation so they can continue to learn.

3.  Look for a solid remediation program for your dyslexic.  What are you using to assist with reading?  Sometimes dyslexic kids need to be stepped way back to make progress forward again.  A program specifically designed for a dyslexic may help the most.

4.  Be flexible.  TWTM is great, but no program is the perfect fit for every child or every teacher.  Use what works, tweak what needs tweaking, and don't be afraid to dump the rest.

5.  Try to help them find and pursue areas of interest.  Foster a love of learning as much as humanly possible.

Good luck and best wishes...

ETA:  I lost sight of something when I first started homeschooling my two dyslexic kiddos.  I focused so much on their weak areas that I failed to see many of their strengths.  That is a huge mistake to make.  The areas they are strong need to be fed.  It is those areas of strength that may get them through the really tough times.  Help your child find his areas of strength.  Feed those.  Work on remediation, but don't forget to cherish and bolster the child in front of you.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 4