Menu

But I don't know what to do. I have a sore on the underside on one nipple. It is about 5mm long and is scabby and weeping with a bit of puss. I have had it for about three days but am having problems keeping it dry and allowing it to heal as I am nursing my 9 month old. :( It flaming hurts when I do this so during the day I have been expressing off that side and giving the milk to him in a sipper cup.

I am treating it with dilute tea tree oil and changing my nursing pads frequently to keep it dry but I do NOT want to have to cart my three kids down to sit for ages in the small waiting room just so I can flash my breast at my already stressed and overwhelmed doctor.

Is there something better I could be doing to make it heal up quickly?

My daughter keeps biting me and drawing blood. Nipple ouchies take forever to heal. I have tried putting lanolin on it but after a few days they always get infected. I now put neosporin on the owies if they dont heal up after about a week. Good luck. Babies and teeth are a bad combo.

What about breast shells so that your nipple would be exposed to air? Breast shells were a lifesaver when my nipples were damaged.

Ah! I never thought of that! I will throw the kids into the car and go down to the shops now. The sore keeps sticking to the fabric and when I twist it rips off! *faints in shock at the pain*

My daughter keeps biting me and drawing blood. Nipple ouchies take forever to heal. I have tried putting lanolin on it but after a few days they always get infected. I now put neosporin on the owies if they dont heal up after about a week. Good luck. Babies and teeth are a bad combo.

This is my third breastfed child and the first time this has happened to me!

Do you still need pads with a nine month old?

I would go without a bra and try and expose them to some air when at home.

Air was the best thing for me. I so remember going through this. I hope you're feeling better soon. OUCH.

That's what I did. Just remember to button up your shirt (if you happen to be wearing one of dh's work shirts unbuttoned) when the UPS guy comes to the door. :lol:

Do you still need pads with a nine month old?

I would go without a bra and try and expose them to some air when at home.

I am a VERY good cow. I have plenty of milk and it just loves to come gushing out at the slightest provocation - like the baby crying, or me thinking about feeding him, or the phone ringing...etc. And then *blushes again* the floodgates are opened and I end up soaked!

If it keeps opening up when your little one nurses I'd suggest keeping the nipple slathered with lanolin or something. When my nipples dry out they feel better....UNTIL, the next nursing then WOWZA! If they are really lubed up then the nursing pad wont stick to ouchie.

I am currently tending to my own cut on my nipple. Macy thought she was falling off my lap and used my nipple to catch herself.

I may think it's funny in a month or two.

I am a VERY good cow. I have plenty of milk and it just loves to come gushing out at the slightest provocation - like the baby crying, or me thinking about feeding him, or the phone ringing...etc. And then *blushes again* the floodgates are opened and I end up soaked!

You leak when the phone rings??

*shocked*

Um, I am on my second BF baby and I don't believe I have ever leaked when the phone rang. :lol:

Yeah..I would go braless and just deal with the mess. You need to heal.

*blushes even more*

I leak when the phone rings; I leak at the supermarket; I have even been known to leak during spiritual direction! *covers face in utter shame*

Anyone needing quads nursed?

Maybe you should lay off the beer and oatmeal.

:lol: (is joking) :grouphug: I hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Sis

*blushes even more*

I leak when the phone rings; I leak at the supermarket; I have even been known to leak during spiritual direction! *covers face in utter shame*

Anyone needing quads nursed?

Okay...I am not laughing at your situation because I have so been there.....

BUT....I have been sitting here chuckling and waiting for you to reply back that you leaked at the thought of just typing all of this in.

I was that way with my second....I jut started laughing at myself because the embarrassment wasn't worth it anymore....

Bless your heart....I hope it heals quickly. You got some wonderful advice so I am not going to add more, maybe just a :grouphug:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplehealing.html

This link might help. There is a wealth of information here, along with experts who will answer questions on the forums. There is also information on oversupply, if you are interested. You could sell some to that restaurant... for soup.:lol:

Edited by Lovedtodeath

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplehealing.html

This link might help. There is a wealth of information here, along with experts who will answer questions on the forums.

That is really interesting - thank you!

Obviously, I am having no problem with making sure the wounded area is bathed in expressed milk. :tongue_smilie: I will follow the other advice though as I need this gone fast. Ouwies!

I had this problem when ds2 was a newborn.

There were some moist sterile dressings that were a lifesaver.

Here's a link for them, I've seen them in the Target baby department, but I had to buy them from the hospital lactation consultant at that time (I guess they were fairly new).

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100371&id=prod380209

http://www.soothies.com/gelpads.html