Menu

Sen McCain's age wouldn't bother me if he was "with it", and was intellectually aware of such basic features of modern life as how to use the web, or was able to identify what kind of car he drives, or knew that Iran wasn't training al-Qaeda terrorists (without Joe Lieberman whispering the correct answer in his ear). These things trouble me.

And Sen McCain's age wouldn't bother me if his decision making didn't appear so impulsive and reckless. This weeks stunt of "suspending" his campaign, his VP selection where his vow to "put country first" was jettisoned in favor of a ridiculously unqualified running mate, the bluster of calling for military confrontations with Russia and Iran, the calls for heads to role (including Chris Cox of the FCC [sic, as he is the head of the SEC) in the middle of a crisis, and that's just this week.

I'm not willing to stake the nation's future on such a gambler. Sen McCain has always been intemperate, and this streak makes him too risky a choice. Advancing age I'm afraid will only make him crankier and more out of touch with the 21st Century.

Bill

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a discussion of this some month's back on NPR's Talk of the Nation. My dad and fil are both closing in on 72, and I can't picture either one taking on this kind of job, but that doesn't really mean much. During the NPR discussion, they had some folks calling in who were concerned whether there would be any kind of check for mental health. I mean, if the president has regular physical health checks, could they not add in a mental health check as well? We've got such a stigma about mental health, I think, but I wonder exactly what would happen if the POTUS started having mental difficulties, regardless of the age. What is the procedure for coping with that?

His dad, though, is not. And Sen. McCain is not a healthy woman.

His father was a heavy drinker and smoker. Big difference there.

Yes, you are right. McCain is not a healthy WOMAN. If he was, that kind of revelation would add a whole new dimension to the election! :lol::lol:

His father was a heavy drinker and smoker. Big difference there.

Yes, you are right. McCain is not a healthy WOMAN. If he was, that kind of revelation would add a whole new dimension to the election! :lol::lol:

Sure would! Did someone else mention his mom (confession: didn't read the whole thread music037.gif) Is it an old wives tale then to look to the mother's genes for longevity (in general)?

Good point. And Sen. McCain has lived a tough life, that's got to take its toll.

If you are referring to his time as a POW, it won't necessarily shorten his life. We have a family member who spent 3 years being tortured in a Japanese prison during WWII. His crewmates from his plane that crashed in China were also in that prison - some died there from starvation, some were killed there. He finally was released after the war was over after suffering unimaginable torture. He died earlier this year at the age of 95. By that time, his brain wasn't what it used to be, but he was in great health mentally and physically into his 90's. I'm not saying that McCain's health hasn't suffered from his time as a POW, but just because one was tortured and experienced the things he did does not necessarily equate to a shorter life span.

Sure would! Did someone else mention his mom (confession: didn't read the whole thread music037.gif) Is it an old wives tale then to look to the mother's genes for longevity (in general)?

Hmm, I sincerely hope it is! I want my daddy's genes when it comes to living long and his family before him. Not my mom's. ACK!!

Yeah, his mother is spry, his dad died at 70 with a heart attack.

He's been well-nourished all his life (previous and subsequent the obvious time of stress as a POW) and has had the best of health care.

According the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr54/nvsr54_14.pdf

a 72 year old white American man has a 16.1 chance of dying in the next 4 years. This does not, of course, take into account McCain's current good health. Nor does it take into account the fact that he has a history of cancer, a family history of heart disease, and was a 2 pack a day smoker for decades. If McCain is elected, there is a 1 in 6 chance that Palin will be called on to take over the presidency before his term is finished.

As I've said before, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I don't think there's anything unfair about acknowledging that it is much more likely for a 72 year old to die in office or develop a serious health problem than it is for someone considerably younger.

Sen McCain's age wouldn't bother me if he was "with it", and was intellectually aware of such basic features of modern life as how to use the web, or was able to identify what kind of car he drives, or knew that Iran wasn't training al-Qaeda terrorists (without Joe Lieberman whispering the correct answer in his ear). These things trouble me.

And Sen McCain's age wouldn't bother me if his decision making didn't appear so impulsive and reckless. This weeks stunt of "suspending" his campaign, his VP selection where his vow to "put country first" was jettisoned in favor of a ridiculously unqualified running mate, the bluster of calling for military confrontations with Russia and Iran, the calls for heads to role (including Chris Cox of the FCC [sic, as he is the head of the SEC) in the middle of a crisis, and that's just this week.

I'm not willing to stake the nation's future on such a gambler. Sen McCain has always been intemperate, and this streak makes him too risky a choice. Advancing age I'm afraid will only make him crankier and more out of touch with the 21st Century.

Bill

Without agreeing with you about McCain specifically I can still say that these all seem like legitimate reasons to be opposed to a candidate. Up until the insertion of the ageism.

I'd bet Sen McCain's mother knows how to use a computer :001_huh:

:auto:

You know, I have to be honest here. I am such a neoluddite that if I didn't HAVE to work modern technology, I wouldn't. I just WOULDN'T. I would totally pay someone to do the bare minimum for me. And yes, that would mean I wouldn't have all of you.

But I'd be RICH. And I wouldn't have to deal with technology. 1097599327_1140317010.gif

I wouldn't be ageist if there's a good, solid VP.

I don't follow the logic for why a VP choice one doesn't like makes ageism acceptable. It makes more sense to me to say, "Sarah Palin is unqualified to serve as President. Part of the duty of the VP is to step in as President should circumstances (the death, resignation or conviction of the president) require it. Therefore, I will not vote for McCain/Palin ticket." Then one doesn't even need to make the specious age argument.

My mother is in good health, my father not so much. Most of their friends are healthy and active though, and it's not that I think 73 is terribly old. I just understand that at this age, things can change pretty quickly. Like I said, it's not a deal breaker, but it's a concern, particularly when I consider the second in command totally unacceptable.

But I try not to think too much in antecdotal generalities. I am not voting for your father or mine. I am voting for McCain (or not). I look at *his* father who was dead by this age and at *his* health which seems good but not great. I truly think he would have made a great president a decade ago. I think he would make a good president in some ways now. But yes, I do worry. I would worry less if he had chosen a running mate who I believe was best for the country instead of who I think he selected because she though she would be best for his campaign.

But that 35-40 years includes an extremely high infant mortality rate. Once you factor that out, I don't know that there was any particular reason to worry about a man in his 60s. Thomas Jefferson died at 83. John Adams was 90. Benjamin Franklin was 84.

I also find it disingenuous for people to keep mentioning his spry mother when his father died of a heart attack at the age of 70.

No, that life expectancy did not count infant mortality...it was based on the chances of a man living after he has reached the age of 20...and 30..of those who had reached 20/30 their life expectancy was not expected to exceed 40.

I find it terribly disingenuous for people to ignore his spry mother and try anything in their might to discredit the credits this man has as a leader, if attacking his policies don't get results then they go after age...have you noticed that our country is against age discrimination? So, you can't throw out his spry mother....it shows a lot about how their family takes care of themselves...they say the first 30 years of your life says a lot about how your quality of life is in terms of health...so for you to claim his father died at 70 does not take into account that that 95+ year old mother did not raise him...but she did raise John McCain....

Now, that age has been addressed..please bring the next attack on McCain, I'd much rather you bring out the GOOD that you think Obama will bring...but I haven't seen those posts.

Tara

No, that life expectancy did not count infant mortality...it was based on the chances of a man living after he has reached the age of 20...and 30..of those who had reached 20/30 their life expectancy was not expected to exceed 40.

Where are you getting your statistics? According to this:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html

US census records show that, while the overall life expectancy for a white male born in 1850 (the earliest year available) was 38.3, a man who had reached 50 could expect to live another 21.6 years. That figure in 2004 was 29.1 years. That's still a substantial difference, but not nearly as large a difference as the overall life expectancy--38.3 compared to 75.7. A 30 year old white male could expect to live to 64, not 40.

It's no more ageist to say that old people are more likely to die than young people than it is sexist to say that women have a greater chance of developing breast cancer than men do. It is undeniably true, and the fact that sometimes men DO get breast cancer doesn't mean the statistics are wrong.

Edited by kokotg

Well, LOL, I think it's not so old when you're knocking on the door. Both my parents are 73.

My remaining grandmother turned 100 in May. She still lives in her own house and did so alone until last spring.

My Dad still drives a BIG motorcycle. Now granted, he does take Motrin before he rides, LOL, but ride he does.

My parents drive all over the country on trips. My Dad was on a telephone board until recently. They still camp sometimes, too. And hike.

They bought, labeled, took down and moved and rebuilt two antique log cabins into one when I was growing up on our family farm and they still maintain it. They oversee maintenance of the farm as well as watching over my grandmother. They also take care of a winter home in Florida.

They are active in our home church and in the community where they live, as well. They have hobbies. They keep up with current events.

I don't follow the logic for why a VP choice one doesn't like makes ageism acceptable. It makes more sense to me to say, "Sarah Palin is unqualified to serve as President. Part of the duty of the VP is to step in as President should circumstances (the death, resignation or conviction of the president) require it. Therefore, I will not vote for McCain/Palin ticket." Then one doesn't even need to make the specious age argument.

Statistically speaking, it's not specious to say that Sen. McCain would be more likely to die in office. I don't want her taking over the highest office. That's just the way it is. Them's the facts.

Statistically speaking, it's not specious to say that Sen. McCain would be more likely to die in office. I don't want her taking over the highest office. That's just the way it is. Them's the facts.

If you really feel she's unqualified then you shouldn't vote for them no matter what McCain's age and health. As as been pointed out, JFK was a young man of good health. Richard Nixon was not older. My point is, one doesn't need to make age the issue. Lack of qualifications is enough.

But if we want to make age an issue, according to the statistics, where should we set the upper limit for age?

If you really feel she's unqualified then you shouldn't vote for them no matter what McCain's age and health. As as been pointed out, JFK was a young man of good health. Richard Nixon was not older. My point is, one doesn't need to make age the issue. Lack of qualifications is enough.

But if we want to make age an issue, according to the statistics, where should we set the upper limit for age?

We shall set it individually by ballot. That's how I think we should set it, personally. And I set it, for this man, at 72. :)

I see how you come to this point, though.

As I think about the election, I am trying to answer a few questions of concern to me (about both parties). I need help with one of them.

Mr.McCain is 72. Are any of you 72, or have parents (or grandparents) who are 72? Would you mind giving me descriptions of their health and abilities? I don't want to get into a discussion of Mrs. Palin; I think a death or illness in the White House would be traumatic regardless of who is the VP. I might be making a mountain out of a molehill... after all, I thought 30 was old until I got there ;).

Really, without being Repub. or Dem., talk to me about being 72!

FWIW, Ronald Reagan was 73 when he was elected for his second term. :)

I know you look at the mom for the genes for male pattern baldness. If your mother's brothers aren't bald (and, er, you're a guy), you won't likely be bald either.

I guess it's carried on the X chromosome, not the Y.

Funny, while I was talking to dh tonight I noticed his top getting thin and thought to myself he was beginning to look like his Uncle Skipper (just so long as he does start acting like him :ack2: we're okay).

Yeah, his mother is spry, his dad died at 70 with a heart attack.

70 is pretty good for someone with the habits he had. I wish I was savvy enough to find the Washington Post piece on the 3 generations of McCain men. It sure was enlightening. My step-dad fills in some of the prep school years for me, since he and John McCain were on the wrestling team together.

McCain has, though they are both still fully engaged in life.

Serious health issues can strike at any time in life, they just are more statistically likely as age advances. The life expectancy of average Americans is about 76 for men, depending on what part of the country it's measured. So statiscally speaking, there is a faily significant liklihood of a life-threatening illness in the 75-78 age range for American men.

I find it terribly disingenuous for people to ignore his spry mother and try anything in their might to discredit the credits this man has as a leader, if attacking his policies don't get results then they go after age...have you noticed that our country is against age discrimination? So, you can't throw out his spry mother....it shows a lot about how their family takes care of themselves...they say the first 30 years of your life says a lot about how your quality of life is in terms of health...so for you to claim his father died at 70 does not take into account that that 95+ year old mother did not raise him...but she did raise John McCain....

Now, that age has been addressed..please bring the next attack on McCain, I'd much rather you bring out the GOOD that you think Obama will bring...but I haven't seen those posts.

Tara

Please read my original post. I am actively pursuing answers to very real questions I have about *all* candidates in this election. It is certainly not an attack do that; my goodness! We had better be asking questions! No personal offense taken, just hope you can see past the ulterior-motive-that-is-not-there.

...... We've got such a stigma about mental health, I think, but I wonder exactly what would happen if the POTUS started having mental difficulties, regardless of the age. What is the procedure for coping with that?

PBS had a program on Ronald Reagan last week and the last portion dealt with how the early stages of Altzimers was affecting him during his last term and how his administration worked with it. See if you can get the DVD or view it on-line. The complete series on 20th century presidents is being rerun now.

Many posters have referred to needing to look at McCain's mother's age and health. Sometimes that long life and health isn't alway's passed to the descendents.

My g-grandmother lived to 102. Her daughter and her husband lived into their 90's. Some of her ds's lived to older ages also. However, my grandparent's children often died in their 70's and 80's, though one died probably in her 40's due to a genetic disease. My generation also has a slew of individuals dieing at early ages (30's & 50's) due to genetic reasons. Even more would be dead right now if it weren't for modern medicine (30's and 40's when they were diagnosed with genetic problems). So just having one parent who lived to an old age and was healthy doesn't mean that all the offspring will inherit those genes.

According the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr54/nvsr54_14.pdf

a 72 year old white American man has a 16.1 chance of dying in the next 4 years. This does not, of course, take into account McCain's current good health. Nor does it take into account the fact that he has a history of cancer, a family history of heart disease, and was a 2 pack a day smoker for decades. If McCain is elected, there is a 1 in 6 chance that Palin will be called on to take over the presidency before his term is finished.

As I've said before, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I don't think there's anything unfair about acknowledging that it is much more likely for a 72 year old to die in office or develop a serious health problem than it is for someone considerably younger.

Don't you just love statistics?

According to that site (what a great site!), a black male aged 46-47 has an "expectation of life" of 27.8 years, not accounting for a family history of cancer (mother), previous/current tobacco use, or any other health issues.

A white male aged 71-72 has an "expectation of life" of 12.8 years, not accounting for a history of skin cancer, previous tobacco use, or any other health issues.

Assuming both of our current presidential candidates fall even remotely into the "norm", the country is "safe" for 4 years with either choice.

asta

A couple of people have posted regarding or alluding to his use of computers. He has said that because of his injuries using computers and cell phones and the like are very difficult. I can attest to that. I had a broken wrist which was tended to immediately and surgically repaired and I cannot use my cell phone with that hand. I also have trouble helping my daughters with their violin. And that was just one break that was treated.

And if we're talking VPs, I think Biden is a detriment with all his gaffes. The man is not verbally safe.

A couple of people have posted regarding or alluding to his use of computers. He has said that because of his injuries using computers and cell phones and the like are very difficult. I can attest to that. I had a broken wrist which was tended to immediately and surgically repaired and I cannot use my cell phone with that hand. I also have trouble helping my daughters with their violin. And that was just one break that was treated.

Really? Where did you hear him say that? I've wondered about that. I've heard others say that*about* him after he said he was computer illiterate and his wife helps him, but never heard him say his injuries make it difficult nor that he has a hard time with cell phones and such. And I've seen pics of him using cell phones and a blackberry.

Verbally safe? You mean like he could get us into war and such, diplomatically unsafe, that sort of thing?

Don't you just love statistics?

According to that site (what a great site!), a black male aged 46-47 has an "expectation of life" of 27.8 years, not accounting for a family history of cancer (mother), previous/current tobacco use, or any other health issues.

A white male aged 71-72 has an "expectation of life" of 12.8 years, not accounting for a history of skin cancer, previous tobacco use, or any other health issues.

Assuming both of our current presidential candidates fall even remotely into the "norm", the country is "safe" for 4 years with either choice.

asta

right. He probably wouldn't die in office. There's "only" a 1 in 6 chance, statistically speaking. Whether 1 in 6 is too high for you or not is likely to be influenced by how qualified you think his running mate is. There is, I would say, a great deal of disagreement on that issue ;).

I think it would be easier to make a judgement about McCain's health relative to his age if access to his voluminous medical record allowed for more than an hour or so.

astrid

To be fair, Obama has not gone out of his way to proved more than just a doctor's undated note. I think one must always explore the possibility that the top of the ticket might die in office, no matter how small the chance. I have always disagreed that the VP pick is unimportant.

Really? Where did you hear him say that? I've wondered about that. I've heard others say that*about* him after he said he was computer illiterate and his wife helps him, but never heard him say his injuries make it difficult nor that he has a hard time with cell phones and such. And I've seen pics of him using cell phones and a blackberry.

He said it in an interview several years ago and you can google it. A cell phone or blackberry is not a keyboard and it seems fairly obvious that those are different movements.

As I think about the election, I am trying to answer a few questions of concern to me (about both parties). I need help with one of them.

Mr.McCain is 72. Are any of you 72, or have parents (or grandparents) who are 72? Would you mind giving me descriptions of their health and abilities? I don't want to get into a discussion of Mrs. Palin; I think a death or illness in the White House would be traumatic regardless of who is the VP. I might be making a mountain out of a molehill... after all, I thought 30 was old until I got there ;).

Really, without being Repub. or Dem., talk to me about being 72!

My grandfather is 79...he worked full-time until this year, and still works three days a week (he would still be working full-time, but the owner of his company retired and he had to find another job!). He's still going strong. Think of all the other leaders that have been this old...Pope John Paul II was up there in age, and could still do his work until near the very end.

I think old is a state of mind. As long as your mind is working, you're good to go.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_mccain_unable_to_use_a_computer.html

To be fair, Obama has not gone out of his way to proved more than just a doctor's undated note. I think one must always explore the possibility that the top of the ticket might die in office, no matter how small the chance. I have always disagreed that the VP pick is unimportant.

Didn't say he has. Just commented on McCain's lack of disclosure with regard to his medical records.

And I completely agree--- the VP choice, especially in this race, is IMMENSELY important, IMHO.

astrid

Really it is all about genetics..My grandparents are in their 80's and still drive and do all their grocery shopping. Neither one has to have anyone come in and help them but I was a CNA for people that needed help in their 60's but age and how well you do is all about your genes..I think the fact that his mom is still getting around and doing well speaks volumes of his genes..I will remind you that age does not determine when you leave the world..My mom died at 24 of a car wreck anyone can go anytime God calls us. As for McCain's skin cancer my FIL has had the same kind and much worse for his whole life and he is 60, it hasn't caused any major problems. He has had to have a few spots removed from his face and neck but other than that he is fine it does not slow him down any at all. After being a CNA and working with elderly I personally feel good about McCain's health. I also feel that most of your older people are very wise, they have seen the most years on earth and the US so it might be a good change to have someone really old in office. Just a thought.

My husband is always telling people that Moses lead the people when he was 80 yrs old. ;)

I find it terribly disingenuous for people to ignore his spry mother and try anything in their might to discredit the credits this man has as a leader, if attacking his policies don't get results then they go after age...have you noticed that our country is against age discrimination?

Tara

What a really odd post.

I actually like McCain in many ways. I do think his age is a concern, but I am not trying to "discredit" him, and I think I can say what I agree with and disagree with by looking at his record and his platform. Age is a seperate issue altogether, and like I said, a concern but not a deal-breaker.

And many people have posted about the GOOD they think Obama will bring. Do you really need us to link to those posts? There a so many of them I am not sure I have time to link to them, but it's silly to say that no one has posted anything good about Obama. I'm thinking that maybe you have just chosen not to read posts about Obama's merits.

I also have major issues with Obama, by the way. I have major issues with both candidates but think they are both fine men in many ways, and I bet that's actually majority view around here.

Also, for a guy who has been as busy as he has I didn't think he was looking any worse for wear at the debate.

Its weird to me that people suggest that cancer survivors shouldn't run for president. Or that we can't utilize the wisdom of our older citizens in the operation of our government. It feels like slippery slope to all kinds of accepted prejudices against perceived physical shortcomings that don't affect how people do their jobs now but could maybe possibly affect future performance.

He does look nice at debates. Of course, his makeup costs $5000

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/24/mccains-5000-makeup-will_n_128973.html

Cancer survivors and even those currently battling cancer shouldn't be punished for their illness. The way Mrs. Edwards (John's wife) was treated in the media and by many Republicans was disgraceful. Having a medical condition should not mean the end of your life or political career.

I will say that my parents do think age matters (they are 80 and 81) and will not be voting for McCain since the Palin pick. For me, it was a non-issue anyway since I'm voting Obama.

Margaret