Menu

How long do you use a handwriting program?

Kate in Arabia

My kids use the Zaner-Bloser books for handwriting practice. My oldest (10 yrs - 4th grade) is pretty settled in writing cursive now, is it worth it/important to keep using a handwriting curriculum? We got the year 4 book from ZB, he's already finished it; I'm debating about trying to find copywork online for him to practice with for the rest of the school year. Plus, of course, he has plenty of writing to do for history, science, writing (we use CW), although I don't generally focus on penmanship in those subjects.

But next year? Should I bother? How long have you stuck with a handwriting program?

tia!

Kate

I wouldn't take the time for a separate handwriting curriculum at that age unless the child is still struggling with legibility or needs prompting on how to form certain letters or letter combinations.

The rule in our house is that penmanship counts in every subject, including math. If, in Papa's expert opinion, the average adult would misinterpret what my dd has written, I make her do it over. Once she has mastered the basics of cursive, I will drop handwriting as a subject, although she'll still get copywork in CW. That and the other writing she'll be doing is plenty, imo.

When they finished the books, they were done with handwriting. If they finished in 4th grade, they were done. If they finished in 8th grade, they were done. It only takes a couple minutes per day to do a couple pages. It has helped my kids with speed as well as legibility. I want my kids to be able to hand write things as well as type. It really helped my 14 yo on the SAT essay last year. They have to hand write it. Some kids are so accustomed to typing everything that they struggled with writing by hand.

I bought Startwrite and will begin to use that after my 2 9yodd finishup ZB #4 instead of buying any more workbooks. They then can practice with any copywork I desire done in cursive. You make your own copywork with this. I have done their history narrations with it leaving blank lines under each printed line for ease in copying. I was glad to discover this because I fatigued in writing their narrations. Now the narrate as I type. I would link it for you but I haven't figured out how to do that yet, but I believe it's startwrite.com

I don't think I am being very clear but I need to move on. I hope you understand what I am saying.

My 4th and 6th graders still do cursive handwriting. The 4th grader needs it. The 6th grader just loves it. They're totally independent with it, and I mainly have them do it as "filler" or "busywork": if they need my help, and I can't come right away, I have them do handwriting while they're waiting. We do A Reason for Handwriting (Levels D and F). I like that they copy a scripture every fourth lesson. They both enjoy the program.

I actually don't use a handwriting program at all anymore, even with the youngers. I tend to just have them do copywork and use that as their practice. When they are learning cursive, I sometimes write a passage out myself in cursive and have them practise it underneath my writing, stopping to show them how to do joins etc. After that we just work on any little areas that they still need work on.