Menu

Is there a 2016-2017 planning thread?

11th grader:

AP Physics 1 (at the school)

Calculus AB (Chalkdust/AoPS/Life of Fred)

Italian 3 (hopefully at the school, otherwise Wellesly College MOOC, plus work with tutor)

AP English Composition (at the school, or on my own with GA Virtual as a guide...)

Digital Photography (if not at the school, at home using either with The Great Courses Plus, a MOOC, or other)

Robotics 2 (The Great Courses Plus, LEGO EV3, Raspberry Pi)

Western Civilization (The Great Courses, Spielvogel text and study guide)

AP Art History (still fleshing this out)

9th grader:

AP Physics 1 (at the school)

PreCalculus (AoPS), Introduction to Topics in Discrete Math 2 (Intermediate AoPS books), AP Statistics (working on this)...yes, she will have no problems completing these.

Marine Biology (Apologia + The Great Courses, and some online resources)

English 9 (Textword Literature, Analytical Grammar, Writing with Skill 3 & Killgallon, additional readings)

AP Human Geography (working on this)

German 3 (at the school)

Digital Photography (see 11th grader)

PE/Health 9

7th grader:

Biology (BJU with DVD and labs...area of high interest and a large background).

Algebra 1 (possibly at the school, with AoPS/Foersters/Jacob's at home), plus Geometry A (first half of Jacob's)

Chinese 1 (at the school)

English 7 (Mosdos Press Lit, Jade, Analytical Grammar part 1, Writing with Skill 1B, Killgallon, additional readings)

World History 2 (K12 Human Odyssey book 2, lectures/movies, additional readings)

Animation (computer based, still looking)

PE/Health 7

Drawing (Kistler)

4th grader:

Beast Academy 4; Math Mammoth 5B & 6A)

Life Science (Anatomy, Zoology, Botany -- Apologia elementary texts, plus some videos, experiments and some notebooking)

Latin 4 Children A

Middle Ages, Renaissance and Rome (Veritas Press)

English 4 (Analytical Grammar, Jr or Winston Grammar, Writing with Ease 4, Killgallon, Spelling Power, Mosdos Press Ruby)

Art (several books, worked alongside history)

PE

Play

2nd grader:

Phonics -- Abeka grade two (she has significant speech delays, phonics reinforcement is vital, and Abeka works well for us here)

Grammar -- FLL 2, Spelling Power

Composition -- Abeka Penmanship, WWE1

Read Alouds

Math -- Math Mammoth 2B; 3A; Beast Academy 3

Science -- Life Science (mostly listen to text, follow along with experiments, a few projects as interested)

Song School Latin 2

PE

Art

• Like 1

I think there is one, but I'll jump in anyway, because I'm still musing..

2016/2017-DD11 (biology focused)

The easy stuff (just need to buy books and do it)

Latin Prep/CLC stage 6 (LP for explicit Grammar, CLC for reading practice and more interesting words). She may be helping to put together and teach a classical etymology class, too.

Continue AOPS-finish Geometry, start Intermediate Algebra. Probably some SAT/ACT style timed practice and calculator use, too, maybe with Khan Academy? Prodigy math as a fun review

Australian history-new books are due to come out in June, so I'm hoping to be able to get them. (Continuing the path of avoiding stuff she has to do for high school credit until I can officially give her high school credit, but providing material at a similar level, just from a different POV)

Cheer team and tumbling, unless DD wants to try something else. She seems pretty happy where she is, but the fact that she tested into a higher level and then there weren't enough kids to make a team may force the issue.

Literature-Shakespeare, I think. Probably a G3 class and additional reading/writing at home, possibly a writing class.

Science...sigh...

Continue herpetology research, probably present continuing data at at least one conference next year, prepare and submit for possible publication, learn just how much of a POA the peer review process is. (I don't think DD has a clue just how annoying that can be...), continue microbiology lab work and field work.

Aquatic biology (fall) using a range of materials and resources, largely paralleling college coursework with labs at home and in the field.

Maybe actually take the SAT-2 bio exam. It's just a matter of preparing specifically for what's on that test.

I found some materials for AP environmental Science, so since she has decided to wait on starting college classes, I'm going to try to get her to prepare for the AP exam. She's already got a pretty hefty foundation in environmental sci just because she's so focused on ecology in her bio work, so it seems like a reasonable goal.

Lots of public speaking practice and advocacy work, mostly over the summer

Attend several conferences over the summer and next year, with the goal to present research at a regional level conference such as SEPARC.

Decide if she really wants to apply for schools or not, and if so, do those applications, interviews, and pray a lot.

• Like 3

DD will be 6. We've started changing up our subjects on a six week rotation, with four classes (slots) per six week session, which basically means I have no idea what we'll be doing.

Slot 1: Spanish. By mutual agreement, this will always be a subject. Homeschool Spanish Academy 3x weekly, Spanish picture books, a few workbooks we picked up in Honduras, Spanish shows, hopefully finding a local conversation group, another immersion trip next winter. The goal is to be conversationally fluent by the end of the 2016-17 school year.

Slots 2 and 3: chosen by DD. I know she wants to try her first Athena's class in the fall. Between now and then, she has chosen to learn typing and paragraph writing in preparation for taking an online class. After that, I suspect she'll fill her choices with science, history, and art.

Slot 4: chosen by me. Probably a rotation of English and Math topics. My general goals for the year are to find her lost love for math, and develop basic writing skills so she can be more confident in her independent writing. If I get bored with English and Math, I'll pick chess for one session :)

She will continue her pile of "extras": mostly gymnastics and dance. We're going to attempt to conquer her fear of water this summer; if successful, we'll add regular swim lessons to the lineup. She wants some tennis and soccer in there as well. Continuing piano lessons. Piles of field trips. She wants to add choir, an art class, and a science enrichment class in the fall. I'm thinking we need to discuss how much stuff she can actually fit in.

And our "sneaky school stuff": Logic games, board games, read alouds, giant piles of nonfiction books, iPad apps, documentaries

• Like 2

Our next year is pretty wishy-washy.  Baby 2 is due in August.  We are also moving to an as-yet-unknown location in August.  I have no clue what sorts of things will be available there, so it's a little hard to plan outside things.  But.....here's what we are vaguely planning:

1. Continue to gain confidence/stamina for chapter book reading.  I'd love to see her visual tracking improve for this too.

2. Probably some combination of Singapore 1b and  year 2.  

3. Ancient history. Mom made, kid approved :) 

4. A reading list of some sort.  I'm planning on letting her choose some major themes or authors, and we will go from there.  It's also tricky without knowing what our library resources will look like. Goal will be the same as this year----100 non-fiction, 100 fiction picture books, 30-50 biographies, 100 chapter books, and 30-50 she reads aloud to me. 

5. Science!  This will probably be driven by where we are living.  I'd like to do a year of environmental work---measuring ph of rivers over time, learning about how recycling works, and I'm not so sure what else.  But she's been pushing for this, and I'd like to make it happen.  I'm hoping we will live in an area where it's at least somewhat possible.

That's about it---it's still technically a pre-k year for her, so I don't like to have her do formal learning for too much of the day, no matter how much she pushes.

It seems like I'm constantly changing and adjusting our plans, but for now it seems the 2016-2017 year will look something like this:

3rd grade:
Math:  Beast Academy 5
Reading and vocab: McGuffey's 4th-5th readers

Writing: Evan-Moor daily 6-trait writing and paragraph editing grade 2, narrations from WWE3.  Likely to change as I'm still learning how to work around his dysgraphia
Spelling: Spelling Power (very unsure on this)

1st grade (he turns 7 in the fall, so he'll be an older 1st grader):
Math: Parts of RS1-D, BA-3 and/or SM (not sure what level, this is my back up for if he does't work up his stamina for frustration)
Reading and vocab: McGuffey's 3rd reader
Writing: WWE2, may tag along in E-M daily paragraph editing and/or 6-trait writing grade 2 with DS#1, or... maybe not
Spelling: maybe, or maybe not.  If he does do spelling it will probably be whatever I settle on for DS#1

For both 3rd and 1st graders:
History:  SOTW 2, plus all sorts of extras from the AG
Science:  Mystery Science, plus Bill Nye episodes, library books, and select lessons from Scott Foresman Science text books (I have grades 3-6 and will probably use pieces from all 4 levels)
Gramar: FLL3
Typing: Mickey's Typing Adventure
Spanish: ??? ???? ?? ? with a big scoop of ??

4yo pre-k:

Math: Finish RS1-B and begin C, he LOVES workbooks though, so I have to come up with something more to keep him happy.

Reading: whatever he wants really, I'm planing to use a lot from Jackie's lists, might start McGuffey's readers if he wants his lessons to be like big brothers' 
Typing: undecided.  Mickey's Typing Adventures or KWOT if he sill likes that come the fall
No formal writing or spelling planned.  I have HWOT for whenever he demands to learn

He'll also tag along in the older guys' history, science, FLL, and Spanish when he feels like it

Will-be 3yo:
Continued therapies, either privately or through public special education pre-k 3

• Like 1

Oh, forgot about actual school!  

DS#1 is signed up for art, p.e., music, science, and lego robotics one day each week through our public charter umbrella.  

DS#2 will be in a self-contained 1st grade class at the same school, unless the 1st grade teacher is as unwilling to work with me on differentiated instruction as the K teacher has been, in which case I will make a case to skip him to 2nd (shouldn't be a problem since his birthday is actually a couple of days before the cut-off) so that he can take all electives.  But, I'd really rather keep him in 1st for next year.  It's a long story.

• Like 1

Our official year runs from Jan - Dec, so we're in the midst of the following for my daughter who'll turn 10 in April:

English:

Reading - independent reading of any fiction and non-fiction that takes her fancy.

Read alouds - good literature + relevant non-fiction to other studies

Writing - Maxwell's Writing in English (only just got this, so I hope it suits...), focus on essay writing, writing games

Spelling, punctuation, grammar, vocab - no formal plans. This mostly takes care of itself through reading and writing.

Maths:

Queensland Grade 9 - 10 textbooks

Life of Fred Pre-Algebra with Economics, Life of Fred Algebra

Ongoing revision, occasional tests (eg NAPLAN style) for test practise

Zaccaro books

Dragon Box games

Murderous Maths books

Science:

Biology: Genetics focus using online resources/games, Cartoon Guide to Genetics, Manga Guide to Molecular Biology

Chemistry: Life of Fred Chemistry, online resources/games, MOOCs, books

Physics: MOOC from Udacity - Intro to Physics (this is excellent! I highly recommend this if your child is at a similar level. Not too overwhelming, but a good challenge with perfect level maths for us and good length. Very nicely presented with ongoing questions/assessments. Love it!)

Famous scientists: Interest-led. At the moment: Marie Curie, Archimedes. Books, essay-writing.

General: Youtube channel 'It's Okay to be Smart', documentaries, books, TV shows eg Mythbusters, Bang Goes the Theory, Brain Games

History, Geography, Civics, Design/Technology:

Interest-led, books, documentaries, current world events, essay-writing.

Youtube channel: 'How to Make Everything'. Oh my, we LOVE this youtube channel. So, so, so good. It leads us to many wonderful hands-on activities.

The Arts:

Music: piano lessons + music theory, general music appreciation

Art: online drawing tutorials (Circle Line Art School, Mark Crilley), interest-led eg pastels, zentangle, painting

Crafts: interest-led. At the moment: crochet, weaving, craft group

Health/PE:

Books eg Chew on This, Omnivore's Dilemma; documentaries

No structured sports but plenty of movement and fitness eg swimming, tree-climbing

Other:

Board games, logic games, jigsaw puzzles, computer games (eg Nancy Drew, Civiballs etc), family discussions

Our days have a rhythm about them, but no formal structure. We don't follow 'school days' or 'school hours' or 'school holidays'.  I avoid the word 'school' and prefer to talk about 'what we're learning'. We follow current interests as deeply or broadly as we like and when we like. We only need to check-in with the education authority here once a year and we don't need to specify grade level as such, so we're pretty free really.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 3

Middle grade kiddo. We say 7th grade-ish for next year, but don't really have official grade.

She's become very independent and doesn't like to spend a lot of time on school, so we are as efficient as possible. She spends her free time on various art and science activities and is outdoors as much as possible.

Ă¢ English: Windows to the World, various early modern books, Lets Eat Fifi, Vocabulit I

Ă¢ K12 HO Early Modern + some of the student pages + 1493 for young people + last 4 chapters Excavating English. She follows her own bunny trails.

Ă¢ Math- Dolciani Algebra 1

Ă¢ Biology 1 w/ remix of https://quarksandquirksbiology.wordpress.com/ Big History Short Course

Ă¢ Breaking the Barrier finish 1/ start 2/ Duolingo/ BrainPop (app has closed captioning)

Ă¢ First Form Latin or Latin Book 1.

Ă¢ Music Practice

Ă¢ Swim Team

Edited by elladarcy

DD#1 (2nd grade):

* MM 5

* Finish FLL 4 (if she hasn't already); R&S English 5

* Finish Lively Latin 1, start Lively Latin 2

* Finish Logic Liftoff; Orbiting with Logic

DD#2 (pre-K):

* MM 2

* FLL 2 (and maybe 3, depends on how quickly she goes through 2)

Both girls:

* US states study

* Physics Experiments for Children

* Literature & writing - mom-selected books, narrations/summaries, maybe some novel studies

* Choir

* Piano

* Math Circle

DS (pre-pre-pre-K ;)):

* Lots of exploring the world, coloring, talking about shapes and colors and letters and numbers

* Choir (not as an official participant, but he loves watching and sings all the songs at home!)

I feel like I'm forgetting stuff, but maybe I'm not.

• Like 1

Our plans are in the air...  Younger DS really wants to skip 4th and join a well-known charter for a couple of years of review (blech).  If so, our plans become heavy on enrichment.

DS #1 (will be in 9th at B&M HS):

Calculus AP-BC

Latin 3

German 2

English

Human Geography AP

Biology

Computer Science

DS #2 (assuming stays home for 4th):

Math

Geometry 2 (Stereometry by Kiselev)

Algebra 2 (Intermediate Algebra by Rusczyk / Crawford)

Science

Astrobiology (Cosmic Biology by Irwin / Makuch)

Relativity (A Most Incomprehensible Thing: A Very Gentle Introduction to the Mathematics of Relativity by Collier)

Physics & Chemistry Labwork (he has completed Conceptual Physics / Conceptual Chemistry)

English

WWS2

MCT level 4

Social Studies

State History (Texas and Texans by Anderson, Gone to Texas by Campbell)

World Geography - ?

Music

Piano

Guitar

Foreign Language

Russian

He wants to learn C++, so we may throw that in.

• Like 1

Our plans are in the air... Younger DS really wants to skip 4th and join a well-known charter for a couple of years of review (blech). If so, our plans become heavy on enrichment.

I don't know about your charter, but we went through a little of that last year (so sort of the same age). Turns out our public school 5th graders get lockers. I enrolled her in an after school program so she could interact with kids. Problem solved. Could he do some visit days?

14yo (I'll know what grade he's in when he graduates):

Math: Finish Derek Owens precalculus and start calculus

English: Finish a course I'm calling The Epic Hero by reading Beowulf and Inferno and start British literature to 1750 or so. There will be an emphasis on Shakespeare, and depending on how things play out, the Shakespeare part may be its own course on the transcript. Also finish OYAN for a creative writing half credit.

History: World history 500-1750 with Ways of the World. Also history of science 500-1750 using SWB's The Story of Science (and my copy is actually called that!) as a spine.

Science: DO physics

German: Finish year 2 and start year 3 using Deutsch Aktuell and a tutor.

Health: Some Pearson text with Mastering Health.

Art and technology electives at the local high school. Which is going to totally mess up our schedule, but the kid desperately needs the social interaction so we'll make it work.

ETA: Things have definitely changed...see signature.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

I don't know about your charter, but we went through a little of that last year (so sort of the same age). Turns out our public school 5th graders get lockers. I enrolled her in an after school program so she could interact with kids. Problem solved. Could he do some visit days?

Don't think so.  Even the PS locally isn't very accepting.

There are benefits to the charter - varied teachers (all quite good, btw), an actual band, better access to academic competitions, electives, languages, and lots of smart kids.  The last point is really the main draw.

If we go the charter route, we'll still keep AOPS Intermediate Algebra and the two science texts (relativity and astrobiology).  They'll place him in algebra, so that will be review, but since they use Saxon, we prefer to teach ahead using a (ahem) real text, anyway.

• Like 1

Runningmom80, our style is a bit 'unschooly' as well, although I feel a bit uncomfortable with the term for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on why. I would usually describe our style as 'natural learning' or 'child-led' or 'responsive'.

If I had things my way, we'd have plans and lists and maybe weekly learning contracts. I love the idea of lists and structure and boxes to tick. This would make me feel secure and confident in where we're at and where we're headed.

But, this isn't about me. It's about my daughter, who just does not respond to this at all. She takes the lead every day and lets me know what she wants to do. Luckily, she's very self-driven (I've posted before about issues with perfectionism) and things tend to balance out over time.

She may wake up and tell me the day will be all about maths. Or she may want to crochet for hours while I read out loud to her. Or she may have a hands-on day and do all sorts of experiments. The thing is, whatever she chooses to do has value for her. It always does and I just have to have faith that everything will keep on balancing out.

One of my ongoing worries is her lack of interest in writing. This is the one and only area that she rarely just chooses for herself, so I need to suggest and prod a bit and do my best to make it fun. But today, woohoo, she was at the computer working on her essay about Marie Curie and she was bubbling with enthusiasm and squealing 'this is really, really fun!' She chose to do it herself, she thoroughly enjoyed doing it and she did a really, really good job.

A week ago I was in serious panic mode, wondering how I'd get her to do any writing. Losing sleep type of panic.

Another lesson for me: Have patience and trust in her natural drives.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 2

I've just about decided on all our resources -- except I'm doubled up in Science so I'm going to have to see which one sticks and which one gets dropped!

Fifth Grade:

DD and DS 10 

LA: Full up Bravewriter Style - Faltering Ownership and Arrow guides.  I can't wait! We already do Arrow guides, Poetry Teas and Friday freewrites, so now we are just adding in the projects.

Math: DS finish up 1st half Aops Intro to Algebra, decide on 2nd half or Intro to C&P; DD BA 5

History: OUP Medieval and Modern History books with guides, Great Courses Turning Points in Modern History, 

Science: Newton at the Center with guides and BFSU Physical Science Threads (Cheating and pulling out all the C-threads from Vol. 2 and 3)

Megawords

MCT Voyage Level

Orbiting with Logic

Philosopy for Kids (either online or at home with a friend)

EC's: Both Piano, DS Swim, DD Ballet, once a month homeschool nature club, occasional museum classes.  

Possible Computer Science class through GHF (DS is in one this semester and he just LOVES it)

Edited by SanDiegoMom in VA
  • Like 3

I've just about decided on all our resources -- except I'm doubled up in Science so I'm going to have to see which one sticks and which one gets dropped!

Fifth Grade:

DD and DS 10 

LA: Full up Bravewriter Style - Faltering Ownership and Arrow guides.  I can't wait! We already do Arrow guides, Poetry Teas and Friday freewrites, so now we are just adding in the projects.

Math: DS finish up 1st half Aops Intro to Algebra, decide on 2nd half or Intro to C&P; DS BA 5

History: OUP Medieval and Modern History books with guides, Great Courses Turning Points in Modern History, 

Science: Newton at the Center with guides and BFSU Physical Science Threads (Cheating and pulling out all the C-threads from Vol. 2 and 3)

Megawords

MCT Voyage Level

Orbiting with Logic

Philosopy for Kids (either online or at home with a friend)

EC's: Both Piano, DS Swim, DD Ballet, once a month homeschool nature club, occasional museum classes.  

Possible Computer Science class through GHF (DS is in one this semester and he just LOVES it)

oooh, which Arrow guides are you planning?

oooh, which Arrow guides are you planning?

That's a good question! I know I want to do Mysterious Benedict Society and Navigating Early, and  Inside Out and Back Again.  So many of the other ones I want to do, but the kids have already read the books! Wonder was just incredible. Love That Dog, From the Mixed Up Files, Harry Potter of course... but they've read them all.  So I'm just going to have to check out a ton the other choices this summer and read them beforehand.  And if I find something else I really like, I'll just come up with the copywork myself and decide on the literary element I want to do for it.  The Arrow Guides are easy enough to mimic, but I find if I create it myself I'm just not as likely to stick to it unfortunately. 

We did Mountain Meets the Moon and My Side of the Mountain with the Arrow Guides these past two months.  The kids really enjoyed them. 

• Like 1

Not sure if DS belongs here anymore; I think he's kind of leveling out normally.

He will be 9-10 yo next year in 4th grade.

BA 5 + Patty Paper Geometry + random math topics (he doesn't like math enough to do any competitions :/)

MCT Voyage level

Ceasar's English 2

Arrow Guides for Lit

History - interest led

Science - something microscope/experiment heavy (no idea?!)

Russian and Japanese

Art - folded into English/Russian/Japanese

Piano, Violin and possibly Harp if he's still asking for it

ETA: Totally forgot an elective: Machining!  My dad is going to teach DS the basics of a machine shop and how to use the various machines, making small projects, etc.

Edited by WendyAndMilo

The AIMS Microworld adventures is a good unit for introductory microscope stuff for middle grades kids.

The preview on Google looks awesome, but it doesn't seem to be sold anymore.  Maybe I can find other resources that cover the topics listed in the table of contents...

Runningmom80, our style is a bit 'unschooly' as well, although I feel a bit uncomfortable with the term for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on why. I would usually describe our style as 'natural learning' or 'child-led' or 'responsive'.

If I had things my way, we'd have plans and lists and maybe weekly learning contracts. I love the idea of lists and structure and boxes to tick. This would make me feel secure and confident in where we're at and where we're headed.

But, this isn't about me. It's about my daughter, who just does not respond to this at all. She takes the lead every day and lets me know what she wants to do. Luckily, she's very self-driven (I've posted before about issues with perfectionism) and things tend to balance out over time.

She may wake up and tell me the day will be all about maths. Or she may want to crochet for hours while I read out loud to her. Or she may have a hands-on day and do all sorts of experiments. The thing is, whatever she chooses to do has value for her. It always does and I just have to have faith that everything will keep on balancing out.

One of my ongoing worries is her lack of interest in writing. This is the one and only area that she rarely just chooses for herself, so I need to suggest and prod a bit and do my best to make it fun. But today, woohoo, she was at the computer working on her essay about Marie Curie and she was bubbling with enthusiasm and squealing 'this is really, really fun!' She chose to do it herself, she thoroughly enjoyed doing it and she did a really, really good job.

A week ago I was in serious panic mode, wondering how I'd get her to do any writing. Losing sleep type of panic.

I deal with this, but my DS is not self driven. He is when it comes to what interests him, but none of that is traditional academics.  I'm taking a long hard look at myself and where my expectations for him come from. 

• Like 1

The preview on Google looks awesome, but it doesn't seem to be sold anymore.  Maybe I can find other resources that cover the topics listed in the table of contents...

I also looked for it, and it does look good. AIMS site lists separate downloadable units that are parts of it, but at $2 per chapter it seems to be too expensive for what it is.

I'll try to link it here

• Like 2

I also looked for it, and it does look good. AIMS site lists separate downloadable units that are parts of it, but at $2 per chapter it seems to be too expensive for what it is.

I'll try to link it here

Ooh, I didn't see those! That might actually work out better because then I can buy them as needed.

Dmmetler: I can't tell you how many books I've lost due to cats :). Thanks for the thought anyways :)

DS will be in transitional kindergarten, age 4/5. I've been changing my ideas a LOT over the last couple months, but right now my plan is:

Math: Let him continue to do his own thing with Miquon, Singapore 2 and 3 textbooks, Khan Academy, Dragonbox, Prodigy, etc. I'm giving up for now and will see about traditional, structured math again when BA 2 comes out. I will continue living math and Life of Fred with him.

Handwriting + extras: I plan to have one subject a week that we'll discuss and study and I'll ask leading questions to lightly touch on pretty much everything (spelling, grammar, history, etc). We'll pick a relevant phrase about the topic, I'll write it in cursive, and that will be his copywork. So that I don't have to come up with themes and materials all the time I plan to use Memoria Press art cards, poems from children anthologies, world wonders from a Time Life book I have, and Rory's story cubes, and rotate through these through the month. If he needs it I'll purchase either Pictures in Cursive Primer or Zaner Bloser 4 but that would be boring for him.

Science: We'll probably try out AIMS.

I plan to put him in piano or violin lessons and possibly Homeschool Spanish Academy.

We are kind of all-year-round schoolers. This year we are in Australia and Japan mid-July to mid-September, which will be a big part of our planning, and I plan to just take revision materials for maths and science and keep on top of things while we are away.  Our current 'ongoing plan' for DS, who turns 12 in July

Maths:

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 - we will just work through this until finished and then probably continue along with US highschool maths alongside IGCSE stuff

IGCSE Further Maths - this is going well so my plan is to also just continue through the textbook and then book ourselves in to the next exams after we are finished (the exams are usually in May-June). So we could be doing the exam in 2017, but I am not wedded to that date.

English:

We are currently finishing up a Bravewriter Course aimed at highschoolers. I plan to go back to MCT until September 2016 when the new IGCSE English curriculum is released. English is not a subject Wim likes, not something he finds easy and not something I am going to push beyond being able to write good reports/papers and using grammar. But in the UK the very least you need as a qualification to apply for ANYTHING is a GCSE in English, so we will get that ticked off.

Latin:

We are combining Visual Latin and Cambridge Latin. It's working

Japanese:

We start back in April - we now have a private teacher lined up, and Wim and I will have separate lessons with her.

Science:

IGCSE Chemistry. While he is understanding the material, we are having problems with how to answer questions and do testpapers correctly. So as well as covering all the material we will be working on how to pass exams.

Music:

He doesn't want to learn trumpet anymore :( But he is still interested in music and is enjoying music theory with Musition and aural skills with Auralia. Perhaps looking at formal exams in these subjects in a year or two.

Programming and Robotics:

This is something we keep poking at but don't seem to find something that works. Playing around with Alice and playing with the Edison robots but should probably get a little bit more organised.

Other stuff :

Currently ballet 3 times a week.

Currently Tang Soo Do (martial arts) 2 times a week

Jewellery class once a week

Rouxbe cooking programme

This is probably not as much 'formal' learning as a lot of kids at this level, but it is working for us. We have put structured learning of history and geography on hold for now, though of course reading, travelling and just living in a city like Istanbul means we are covering that stuff all the time.

ETA - Just looked over this, and amazed at so much having changed since I first typed it out! But not the 2 month trip, that is still happening ....

Edited by nobeatenpath
  • Like 1

DD will turn 10 next month. ( 5th grade)

Math: Jacobs algebra ( on off days Aops pre algebra review, Zacarro, 5/6 CWP)

Science Quark chronicles, Ellen Mchenry books all heavy supplemented and DD will attend engineering class once a week.

Spelling and Vocab: phonetic Zoo C, Megawords, Vocabulary roots.

Writing: Cover story and CAP

Grammar: MCT town level and Hake grammar 6

Spanish: don't know

She is a serious figure skater so 12 hours a week on ice

2 hours Ballet a week

She wants to learn guitar ( so maybe that)

Scratch programming

Aops AMC8 prep class online

I am sure this will change several more times.

4th Grader

Math-Jousting Armadillo's

Cursive-Write from History level 2

Music-Guitar 

2nd Grader

Math-Shiller level 2

Cursive- write from history level 1

Music-Violin

Both

Science-Botany for sure maybe World of Plants from Great science adventure

LA/History- Ancients and Mythology still making this one up 

Spelling made simple

Competitive gymnastics

But, this isn't about me. It's about my daughter, who just does not respond to this at all.

We have the opposite dynamic here. I like to have a flexible plan, and change things up as we feel like it. My dd7 thrives on the expected routine. She is happiest when she knows exactly what will happen when and nothing changes. I've finally given up on having long breaks from school, ever, as I cannot take the three to four weeks of meltdowns when trying to get started again. I've been considering making checklists for her because I think she would really like them.

• Like 1

Apparently, I have not weighed in here. I did somewhere....

Ds 11/12 ~ 7th Grade

Formal morning school done independently:

Spanish - Vocabulary building on steroids and composition with tutor

Latin - Lukieon 1a & 1b

Art - Performance Piano Lessons & AP Music Theory through GA Virtual Learning

History - Roman Roads Media Greeks/Romans & AP Art History

Science - Thinkwell AP Chemistry

Afternoon School with me to assist as needed:

Math - AoPS (Ds is jumping everywhere with the books, so wherever he lands)

Science Labs - Thames and Kosmos, Backyard Balistics, Art of the Catapult

Great Courses Plus watching super awesome everything!

Environmental Work:

Currently he has moved into public presentations through our local area and in regional public schools. Many of the legal and political battles have been either won or are coming to decisions by August. That leaves him delving more into grassroots organizing of youth, running day long workshops, and grant writing/funding. Exporting of fossil fuels appears to be really picking up steam in Southern California and there is talk of him heading down there to work out of field offices for a few months. I REALLY do not want this option. My boss is extremely lienient, but four to six months is a lot to ask off. Ds is having to decide if he wants to make a stake at this being a career during his teen years. If he does, we will begin travelling more dramatically than the 3-4 day stints we do now. If not, he will intern with the Sierra Club twice a week in Big City and this will be a much more low key year!

ETA: We are not going to California. PHEW! Mainly Ds is going to work on seriously ramping up kid's environmental advocacy in our surrounding area. He wants to get clubs going in a few schools, put together a YouTube feed, and really buckle down on innovative kids programing at multiple age levels.

Edited by EndOfOrdinary
  • Like 2

We have the opposite dynamic here. I like to have a flexible plan, and change things up as we feel like it. My dd7 thrives on the expected routine. She is happiest when she knows exactly what will happen when and nothing changes. I've finally given up on having long breaks from school, ever, as I cannot take the three to four weeks of meltdowns when trying to get started again. I've been considering making checklists for her because I think she would really like them.

Ds loves box checking as well. He spent February and most of March going through Khan Academy from K-Algebra. Watching the lists turn blue, getting badges, having a specific time tick off, he just loved it! Audible does something similar with a timer and badges. He has listened to an hour of classic lit a day just to watch it happen. I found a flashcard app that does this to great results. I am trying to figure out how to replicate that in history. If anyone out there has any ideas, I'm game!

• Like 1

things are sort-of in flux...DS14 is turning into a more motivated student and 'getting stuff' better - so he's moving faster - and DD12 has become a tween girl.   :closedeyes: Many things are emotional and focus is hard to come by....so we'll see.  The current plan, though, is something like....

9th Grade

Chemistry (Chang, I think)

tail-end of Geometry, Alg 2, possibly IntroNumberTheory(AoPS for all)

History (HotMW)

AP Human Geography

German (undecided how much)

English (first CC class?)

7th Grade

Chemistry (Chang, I think)

tail-end of Geometry, Alg 2,  Math contest prep for AMC8/10 (AoPS for all)

History (SOTW 3&4)
English (spelling, grammar, something else)
Programming w/ Python

FWIW, since it's been discussed, we're a checklist-family.  I make one a week, per child.  DS14 likes them because then he knows what to expect and can be self-sufficient.  This year he'll start doing some portion of making the lists.  DD12 needs them because otherwise she 'forgets' what she was supposed to do and everything will be done 'tomorrow'.

Audible does something similar with a timer and badges. He has listened to an hour of classic lit a day just to watch it happen. I found a flashcard app that does this to great results. 

wait - really?  Oh, woot.  Can you post a link to the flash-card app???

You just described my life with my son. With the exception of crocheting (in his case it is reading or doodling or doing puzzles). I did plan and come up with check lists and such and he is generally a very obedient kid but we would still end up doing things his way...he never rebelled or made a fuss. No one who knows him will call him strong willed. But somehow, he just made it very obvious via his own gentle nature that my forcing him to learn something my way will only backfire.

Anyway, here's a snapshot of what we have planned for the coming year. We think he will be a 14yo senior but with a potential Plan B somewhere if he happens to change his mind. Somehow with all that "natural learning", we have still managed to come up with a somewhat well rounded transcript. He will have at least 4 years of everything except social studies which will be 3 years (I could have asked him for more but I didn't want to). We still covered "necessary" ground.

AP English Literature and Composition

AP Chemistry

Japanese 2 (CC DE in fall) and Japanese 3 (CC DE in spring)

US History (CC DE in fall) and Abstract Algebra (university DE in spring)

AoPS Crowd Math open research project (where he currently holds the highest standing among all high school-aged contributors)

A small number of meaningful extra curriculars

We don't try to do everything. We make meaningful goals. And honestly, I don't expect him to win awards or hit the targets he does. The hard work and persistence and reliability all come from him. And I strongly believe this is due to him being a happy, fulfilled learner who has not been told to do what he does.

We got here despite all the unschooly bunny trail learning patterns we've followed for most of our homeschool life. We got here through so many hours of joyful reading and discussions and playfulness but also very hard work and that intense focus on math.

Edited by quark
  • Like 6

We're going to year-round schooling, and will just move on as we finish things, but here are my estimates:

With my Girls Together + Tagalongs as interested:

Memorization-scriptures, poetry, songs

Literature Read-Alouds

Fine Art Appreciation- Poetry Tea Parties once a month with friends, Child-size Masterpieces method folders but with works correlated to history period, ???for Music???

Latin- SSL2 in my Friday class with friends (ages 3-7)

Spanish-??? I'd love to do skype tutoring for the girls through LanguageConvo, but probably won't be able to make it happen, so something else?

History- SOTW2

Science- I am looking into putting together a local science fair for homeschooled and schooled kids. I want to do lewelma-style science fair projects with my girls. I might possibly also teach a once-a-week after school class on the ps campus about investigative science and mentoring them on their own science fair projects for a few months leading up to the science fair. Other times of the year, I'm still planning on doing BFSU 1 with my crew.

Art-playing with art supplies, thinking about attempting Drawing to Learn Drawing with them again now that they are older

Dd7- 2nd Grade:

Math- finish Singapore 3 & BA 3 and move on to level 4 for both

Language Arts- finish MCT Island level and start Town (or maybe do some Treasured Conversations in between? How big is the step up between levels?)

Handwriting-Pictures in Cursive B, C, maybe D

Spelling-SW C,D, maybe E

Lots and lots of Literature

Piano- Hopefully afford actual lessons, if not continue with Pianimals Phonics4Piano

PE-gymnastics (I'm hoping still preteam, but maybe competing on team.)

Dd5- older Kindy age:

Math- Singapore 2a & b, hoping she can then start BA2, but that might be wishful thinking

Phonics- finish up OPGTR and continue to review as long as it seems helpful

Spelling-start SW A when we reach the last phonics lesson, probably finish SW B, too

Handwriting- finish Pictures in Cursive A & level B

Lots and lots of Reading

Violin- Really hoping I can afford or barter for lessons, but if not, I'll keep doing my best to teach her myself

PE- gymnastics class

Ds will be 4:

Math- Beginning Mathematical Reasoning finishing 1 & 2

Phonics- OPGTR, BOB books

Handwriting- if he wants to

Spanish- Salsa & library books

Oceanography- eventually move on from various whales and dolphins to sharks, lots of David Attenborough documentaries

Tagging along with sisters on content subjects & read-alouds

Will start gymnastics this summer

Possible Spare Student- 3.5 girl:

Beginning Mathematical Reasoning 1

Start OPGTR

Maybe handwriting and Spanish

Tag along on content subjects, oceans, & read-alouds

Ds will be 2:

Tagging along and spreading joy

• Like 2

DS (8 years old in summer)

Maths: MEP, Galore park

Problemoids Math Challenge, Zaccaro's Books, Murderous Maths (to finish ?), Ian Stewart' Books, This is not A Maths Book: A Smart Art Activity Book, Vedic Mathematics Made Easy - D. Bathia

English - Galore park 

Creative Writing - Writing Repertoire - Felicity Rees, Creative Writing for kids K2, Descriptosaurus

Public Speaking & Debates - ?

Latin - Galore Park

Introduction to Philosophy - Children's Book of Philosophy, Peter Worley's Books

History - Galore park, CGP, Our Island Story: A History of England for Boys and Girls.

Geography - CGP 

Science (Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Engineering) - Galore Park

Post/Biotics Kit, Janice VanCleave's Books, Learn Genetics - University of Utah, Colouring Books of Wynn Kapit, TeachingEngineering.org, Engineering is Elenetary, Topics from Institute of Physics (IOP.com)

Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Cooks, and Good Food

Astronomy/Meteorology/Geology - free home school lessons 

Programming - JavaScipt for Kids: A Playful Introduction to Programming

Russian - Language + Literature + History

Picture Study

Extra's - Tennis, Ballet(?), Gymnastics, Swimming or Water Polo, Mt, Piano, BMX & Skateboarding Lessons, Robotics, Science Club(?)

DS (6 years old in summer)

Maths - SM, MEP, Soroban

English - Galore Park

Latin - Galore Park

Science - Galore Park

History - Ancient Egypt

Geography - CGP 

Comp - Scratch

Russian - Lang + Lit-re

Picture Study

Extra's - Gymnastics, Swimming, Ballet(?), Tennis. Piano, BMX & Skateboarding Lessons

Edited by rushhush08
  • Like 1

wait - really? Oh, woot. Can you post a link to the flash-card app???

For Audible, under the "Me" heading/section you will first see the number of minutes listened to. You can change this to day, week, month. If you swipe left, it shifts to badges for various things. You can get different rankings (achieved, silver, gold) for various amounts of hours, bookmarks, times of day, completed books, etc. Highly awesome!

The Flashcard app is called NKO Flashcards. It can be free. Unlocking the whole thing and all the games is $14.99. This is the most expensive app Ds owns, but is worth it for us. Decks of cards can be created and uploaded from Quizlet. They can also be just taken from open decks on Quizlet.

Flashcards [Ă¢â€º] by NKO Ventures, LLC

https://appsto.re/us/MbmJC.i

ETA: I had to go see exactly how the badges worked in the app to explain. For each deck of flashcards there is a reader board which shows stats on how many cards have been mastered. The stats come from playing all the games with the words. There is a reminder which ticks down the number needed to know. There is also a leaderboard which ranks each student if the deck is shared amoung others. Ds and I currently compete to see who can memorize Lukeion vocabulary the fastest. The leaderboard changes depending on who has mastered the most at any given time.

Edited by EndOfOrdinary
  • Like 4

For Audible, under the "Me" heading/section you will first see the number of minutes listened to. You can change this to day, week, month. If you swipe left, it shifts to badges for various things. You can get different rankings (achieved, silver, gold) for various amounts of hours, bookmarks, times of day, completed books, etc. Highly awesome!

The Flashcard app is called NKO Flashcards. It can be free. Unlocking the whole thing and all the games is $14.99. This is the most expensive app Ds owns, but is worth it for us. Decks of cards can be created and uploaded from Quizlet. They can also be just taken from open decks on Quizlet.

Flashcards [Ă¢â€º] by NKO Ventures, LLC

https://appsto.re/us/MbmJC.i

ETA: I had to go see exactly how the badges worked in the app to explain. For each deck of flashcards there is a reader board which shows stats on how many cards have been mastered. The stats come from playing all the games with the words. There is a reminder which ticks down the number needed to know. There is also a leaderboard which ranks each student if the deck is shared amoung others. Ds and I currently compete to see who can memorize Lukeion vocabulary the fastest. The leaderboard changes depending on who has mastered the most at any given time.

OMG.  This is SO awesome.  Thank you thank you thank you!

• Like 1

Dd will be graduating early next year, sniff sniff.

This summer is still uncertain but will probably consist of intensive elementary Russian and maybe an econ or poli sci class.

All year:

Senior English with Blue Tent Online (assuming she scores a 4 or 5 on AP Lang this year, a prereq for the course)

Fall semester:

AP US government with me

either AP Stats or Calc 2 with me, her choice (I think she should have stats)

Advanced Arabic 1 at the university

Intermediate Russian 1 at the university

Winter session (5 weeks) at the university

either geology or astronomy (w lab), either with me or at the university, depending on the course times

Spring semester:

AP macro or micro econ, depending on what happens this summer, with me

Advanced Arabic 2 at the university

Intermediate Russian 2 at the university

Dd could be elected to a major statewide office in one of her extracurriculars, which would mean she'd have weekly meetings all over the state. And she doesn't drive yet. Yay. Elections are in two weeks. On one hand I really want her to have the amazing opportunity...and on the other hand I don't want it to mess up our lovely relaxed schedule for her last year of homeschooling :(

• Like 3

Dd will be graduating early next year, sniff sniff.

This summer is still uncertain but will probably consist of intensive elementary Russian and maybe an econ or poli sci class.

All year:

Senior English with Blue Tent Online (assuming she scores a 4 or 5 on AP Lang this year, a prereq for the course)

Fall semester:

AP US government with me

either AP Stats or Calc 2 with me, her choice (I think she should have stats)

Advanced Arabic 1 at the university

Intermediate Russian 1 at the university

Winter session (5 weeks) at the university

either geology or astronomy (w lab), either with me or at the university, depending on the course times

Spring semester:

AP macro or micro econ, depending on what happens this summer, with me

Advanced Arabic 2 at the university

Intermediate Russian 2 at the university

Dd could be elected to a major statewide office in one of her extracurriculars, which would mean she'd have weekly meetings all over the state. And she doesn't drive yet. Yay. Elections are in two weeks. On one hand I really want her to have the amazing opportunity...and on the other hand I don't want it to mess up our lovely relaxed schedule for her last year of homeschooling :(

Did you like Blue Tent? Can you tell me a bit about them? has your Dd taken any other classes from them? They list ages on their site. Have you found these to be accurate?

• 1 month later...

Ds loves box checking as well. He spent February and most of March going through Khan Academy from K-Algebra. Watching the lists turn blue, getting badges, having a specific time tick off, he just loved it! Audible does something similar with a timer and badges. He has listened to an hour of classic lit a day just to watch it happen. I found a flashcard app that does this to great results. I am trying to figure out how to replicate that in history. If anyone out there has any ideas, I'm game!

My DS is a lot like this.  I keep trying to get him to be creative and "unschooly," but he wants a checklist and to get "school" over with so he can do what he wants.

• Like 1

My DS is a lot like this. I keep trying to get him to be creative and "unschooly," but he wants a checklist and to get "school" over with so he can do what he wants.

I am trying to embrace it. I have purchased Creek Edge task cards for history next year, only Ds wants to edit them so they have the Roman Roads stuff and a few Great Courses added. I asked how this was any different than just listening to the GC and doing Roman Roads. I could easily not spend the 25 dollars. He was just shocked I would not recognize that with task cards you got a task card. It was a card. It had your weekly tasks on it. All beautiful and box checky. Meh. Fine. But I am going to just call it history!

If I adapt, things tend to run smoother. I just have to find adaptable resources.

• Like 1

Hoping this will "keep me honest," so to speak. ; )

DS7 (second grade year)

Maths - computation: AOPS - Pre-algebra, BA - 5, Zaccaro Real World Algebra and Becoming a Problem Solving Genius; reading: The Number Devil, Flatland, Murderous Maths, Penrose; games: Prodigy (currently at grade 8, but still filling in gaps); participation - Math Club; various competitions, as desired

Language Arts - MCT Town, BraveWriter, Spelling Power

Languages - Chinese grade 2, Spanish grades 3 and 4, beginning Latin

History - SOTW Volume 3, The Story of US - Book 1

Science - independent learning - loads of living books (DS LOVES science); instructional - Ellen McHenry, Real Odyssey; online courses - Athena's, CurrClick, Johns Hopkins?, Coursera. Continue delving more in various biology threads (his favorite). Start physics training.

Other - tennis, soccer, swimming, art, guitar? (finally??), more competitions (he likes the challenge, and we focus more on growth than winning, at this point), lots of time in nature, more volunteer time, heaps of time with family and close friends

That's all for now. Really hoping DS discovers another "beautiful obsession." Looking forward to a new year.

• Like 2

We are kind of all-year-round schoolers. This.

Science:

IGCSE Chemistry. While he is understanding the material, we are having problems with how to answer questions and do testpapers correctly. So as well as covering all the material we will be working on how to pass exams.

Dd has always a learning curve when we use a new publisher.

So she often fails or has weak results on a first test.

But she likes the IGCSE Chemistry.

I feel like we are underachieving a little now! Here is what we are doing:

Ds 12 (7th)

Omnibus 1 Self Paced Primary and Secondary

Finish AoPS PreAlgebra and start Algebra

My own "General Science" using CK-12, Story of Science and Tiner Books

Art of Argument

Christina Latina 1 and 2 - we just started Latin

Historical Fiction pulled from Sonlight core G

MCT Town and Caesar's English

Javascript

Boyscouts

Start an instrument - cello or guitar maybe?

Dd 9(4th)

Sonlight Core D

Singapore 4A and B, and BA 3B, C, and D

NOEO Biology 2

Mindbenders

MCT Town Level

50 States Geography

VP Bible

Violin

Maybe start at the Ninja Warrior gym?

Dd 6(1st)

Sonlight Core B

Sonlight science B

Finish ETC 5 and 6

Sequential spelling

Aesop's Fables - Royal Fireworks

Finish Singapore 2B (summer?) and start 3, and BA

Interest led reading and writing

VP Bible

Start violin

Today is the last day of the 3rd grade for my DS9.

I also feel "underachieving" compared to some of you, but we are still ahead of the average, so I'll post.

Math: BA 4 and 5; Mathematics A Human Endeavor.

History: continue Ancients.  SOTW1, Spielvogel and other books from picture books to early college textbooks

Science: Botany (Quark Chronicles, McHenry, Raven's Biology of plants) + gardening

English: CTY Young Readers + something else, I think. He needs something for punctuation.

French: Amis et compagnie with a tutor

Russian Saturday school (Russian language, literature, history, plus some 5th grade math and art)

PE: fencing

Edited by OlgaLA

I feel like we are underachieving a little now! Here is what we are doing:

Ds 12 (7th)

Omnibus 1 Self Paced Primary and Secondary

Finish AoPS PreAlgebra and start Algebra

My own "General Science" using CK-12, Story of Science and Tiner Books

Art of Argument

Christina Latina 1 and 2 - we just started Latin

Historical Fiction pulled from Sonlight core G

MCT Town and Caesar's English

Javascript

Boyscouts

Start an instrument - cello or guitar maybe?

Dd 9(4th)

Sonlight Core D

Singapore 4A and B, and BA 3B, C, and D

NOEO Biology 2

Mindbenders

MCT Town Level

50 States Geography

VP Bible

Violin

Maybe start at the Ninja Warrior gym?

Dd 6(1st)

Sonlight Core B

Sonlight science B

Finish ETC 5 and 6

Sequential spelling

Aesop's Fables - Royal Fireworks

Finish Singapore 2B (summer?) and start 3, and BA

Interest led reading and writing

VP Bible

Start violin

You've got three! There is no way you should consider yourself underachieving. If I had three, I'd be lucky if I could locate my own pants.

• Like 4