Menu

Preventing gallbladder issues

creekland

My female line has always had gallbladder issues ending up in surgery.  Last night my sister called me letting me know her "turn" is next week.  She's only one year older than I am, but my mind still wonders if there's anything one can do to try to avoid future issues or is one doomed if it's in your heritage.

I have no issues whatsoever now and have always eaten healthier than anyone else in my family (mainly to try to avoid diabetes), but will it matter?  Or is there anything else besides diet I should be contemplating that will matter?

Just curious and thinking asking here might be easier to wade through than google - esp since I'm about to actually start my active day now that hubby is awake.

My mom has hers out. I cannot remember when...in her 50s? My sister, a marathon runner, has hers out in her 40s. I'm late 40s and still have it. As long as I stay away from fried, I'm /usually/ ok. I think healthy diet helps, but sadly, there's a huge genetic component so I think we're both doomed. :-)

• Like 2

Some genetic component, but I've observed that relatives who eat healthy and exercise seem to keep theirs. I have an aunt who had problems when she was younger, but she's in her 80's now and is fine. She does basically a Mediterranean diet with only whole grains.

• Like 2

An ultrasound for something else (that much later turned out to be Celiac Disease lol) when I was 15 or 16 revealed I had tons of little gallstones.  I finally had my gallbladder - on an emergency basis since one of those little stones was completely stuck/embedded in a bile duct causing pain worse than childbirth - out in 2014 (the day after I turned 36).  I had attacks every few months for the last few years.  Nothing really seemed to cause them.  They were pretty random.  I'd take a couple lecithin pills when they happened and until the last one that landed me in the ER and then the OR, that always worked.  I read once that drinking olive oil mixed with lemon juice can help you pass small gallstones.  No idea if that actually works (I didn't try it), but in my head at least it was a similar idea to taking the lecithin.  Mostly I did that because I was terrified of surgery and wanted to avoid it as long as I possibly could.  I haven't had a problem since surgery, by the way.  For a while we thought I did, but that turned out to also be the Celiac Disease (which was diagnosed a year ago).

ETA: My mom had hers out in her early 60s (many small stones joined together in her gallbladder to make a huge stone - she got to keep it - and almost killed her because she put off having her gallbladder out so long), her mom had hers out in her mid 30s, her mom had hers out at some point, and her mom had hers out, too.  There might have been another generation who had gallbladder surgery, too.  Very strong genetic component.  But my sister has never had a single gallbladder related issue so just because your female line has had problems it doesn't mean for sure you will.  You may be lucky and have your dad's line gallbladder genetics.  (FWIW, my husband's parents both had theirs out and others in their families have as well and my husband has, so far, had zero issues.)

Edited by Butter
  • Like 3

It depends on the issues. Gall stones seem to have some relation to diet, but not always.

I eat very healthy and low fat and have no family history of gallbladder problems - yet I had to have mine out because it was not functioning properly (no stones!). Surgeon said there was absolutely nothing I could have done.

Seeing that a life without gallbladder works just fine, I would not worry too much. I just wish I had had the surgery sooner rather than putting it off for years.

• Like 4

My female line has always had gallbladder issues ending up in surgery.  Last night my sister called me letting me know her "turn" is next week.  She's only one year older than I am, but my mind still wonders if there's anything one can do to try to avoid future issues or is one doomed if it's in your heritage.

I have no issues whatsoever now and have always eaten healthier than anyone else in my family (mainly to try to avoid diabetes), but will it matter?  Or is there anything else besides diet I should be contemplating that will matter?

Just curious and thinking asking here might be easier to wade through than google - esp since I'm about to actually start my active day now that hubby is awake.

btdt - what I wish I knew then . . .

gallbladder and liver are related.   if you have gallbladder issues, eventually they'll be liver issues.  for starters AVOID sugar like the plague - sugars (including all the "natural" sugars in the form of honey, agave, et. all.  to your body,  they're STILL sugar!  artificial stuff too.).   sugar was never meant to be a major part of our diet - relegate it back  to special occasion status (meaning, no more than a very scant few times a month at most.)

I can get my liver numbers into a very healthy range by avoiding sugar and exercising.  that's from very high numbers down to very healthy.  I'm  now seeing a naturopath, and she's been much more helpful than all the allopath/DOs/MDs I've seen.   I also do yoga with twisting postures that are helpful for the internal organs.

also - your gallbladder is where your body stores B12 . . . . . so,, take it out, and you need to daily supplement b12 because you're not storing it.

eta: I've done liver detox supplements - there is one I have liked.  milk thistle has been shown in studies to be helpful for the liver/gallbladder.  My ND is of the opinion my ductwork is "clogged".  so she is having me do one round of integrative therapeutics detoxification factors (i'd never heard of it before.  it's available on amazon.). . . . just . . . wow.  I won't give TMI . . . I wish I'd known about this 30 years ago . . .

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4

Apple cider vinegar helped me for a few months. Hormone replacement therapy can make gallbladder issues worse. Olive oil flushes can help too.

When it starts going bad though, I think it is best to get it out. Mine had progressed to pancreatitis since I put it off for several months.

• Like 2

also - your gallbladder is where your body stores B12 . . . . . so,, take it out, and you need to daily supplement b12 because you're not storing it.

I do not believe the above is correct.

From what I know, the body stores B12 in the liver - and the supply is large enough to last for years.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/vitamin-b12/background/hrb-20060243

The human body stores several years' worth of vitamin B12 in the liver, so low levels in the body are rare.
  • Like 3

No.  Your gallbladder stores bile (the liver stores B12).  Some people who have had their gallbladders out may develop B12 deficiency because of dietary changes they have to make after their gallbladders are removed (experiences vary on dietary changes being required - I personally can eat anything and everything for example).

• Like 1

I was recently diagnosed with gallstones. My dad and sister both had theirs removed. I have no symptoms and hope to keep it as long as possible. I'd also look at turmeric in the diet, I've started reading up on that for gallbladder health. 

I've also been reading about the pros and cons of having it removed before it's an emergent situation. I'm not yet convinced I need to do that (neither is my doctor) as some people seem to end up with problems even after removal. 

• Like 2

I was recently diagnosed with gallstones. My dad and sister both had theirs removed. I have no symptoms and hope to keep it as long as possible. I'd also look at turmeric in the diet, I've started reading up on that for gallbladder health. 

I've also been reading about the pros and cons of having it removed before it's an emergent situation. I'm not yet convinced I need to do that (neither is my doctor) as some people seem to end up with problems even after removal. 

you want more concentrated forms, not just the spice.  curcumin phytosome is the component of tumeric you want.  meriva is a trade name for it.  look at the concentration. (NOT just how many mgs it contains.)

eta: - stick with a reputable brand.   there are many out there that aren't worth your money.  thorne if you're willing to spend that much is an excellent brand.  I've also used NOW, pure encapsulations, douglas labs, etc.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

I had have had my GB removed.  I used to consume large amounts of carbonated drinks with artificial sweetners, and my doc indicated that might have been a problem.  

I have a "cumulative" issue with greasy meals.  If I splurge on something like fried chicken or tamales, then I try to make my next couple meals very healthy.

• Like 2

you want more concentrated forms, not just the spice.  curcumin phytosome is the component of tumeric you want.  meriva is a trade name for it.  look at the concentration. (NOT just how many mgs it contains.)

eta: - stick with a reputable brand.   there are many out there that aren't worth your money.  thorne if you're willing to spend that much is an excellent brand.  I've also used NOW, pure encapsulations, douglas labs, etc.

Gardenmom, this is interesting.  Do you know if using the tuber--as opposed to the dry spice--has any benefits?  

Gardenmom, this is interesting.  Do you know if using the tuber--as opposed to the dry spice--has any benefits?

any of it is good - the question is the variability in concentration of using it in cooking, either tuber or spice.  the tuber is the whole thing, so it is not as concentrated in curcuminoids as that from  a reputable (there are too many that aren't.) supplement supplier.

e.g.  allicin (antibacterial/antiviral/antifungal) is from garlic.  it is very unstable, even with fresh garlic.  

• Like 1

You may be lucky and have your dad's line gallbladder genetics.  (FWIW, my husband's parents both had theirs out and others in their families have as well and my husband has, so far, had zero issues.)

Great idea!  It'll get my vote!  So far I haven't had any digestive issues at all and my sister started hers over a year ago, so perhaps there is hope.

It depends on the issues. Gall stones seem to have some relation to diet, but not always.

I eat very healthy and low fat and have no family history of gallbladder problems - yet I had to have mine out because it was not functioning properly (no stones!). Surgeon said there was absolutely nothing I could have done.

Seeing that a life without gallbladder works just fine, I would not worry too much. I just wish I had had the surgery sooner rather than putting it off for years.

This is good to know, but I'll admit I just plain don't want any other health issues in my life, so if there are any I can possibly prevent, it's worth considering.  If it's mainly genetic, perhaps I did get my dad's side for this one.

My mother chose not to have hers removed. My sister did have hers removed.  Their outcomes are similar - the absence/decreased function of the gallbladder makes eating foods with high fat contents absolutely miserable.

My sister had a high fat and high sugar diet for years, but in the last couple of years she hasn't been able to tolerate many foods.  She's finally reached the stage where it has to go.  I don't follow her diet (most of the time - special occasions and trips are different, but even then, it's still not the same).  If it's diet related, perhaps eating to avoid diabetes has also helped with this.

When it starts going bad though, I think it is best to get it out. Mine had progressed to pancreatitis since I put it off for several months.

This could be good to know.  I'm not sure what her "final" will be, but I know she's put off doing anything about it for quite some time - mainly because she doesn't have health insurance in spite of oodles of us telling her she should sign up.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cholesterol-gallstones/

"Cholelithiasis was found more commonly among non-vegetarian with the vegetarian: non-vegetarian ratio 1:9." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071875

I don't have a fast enough connection to watch videos at home (vs school), but this is an interesting stat.  Her diet mostly consisted of meat, Mt Dew, and a few cooked to death vegetables like green beans.  She doesn't like much else - very sensitive taste buds.  It wasn't unusual for her to just eat meat for meals with Mt Dew or Energy Drinks to wash it down.

Our diet (when not traveling anyway) is far more veggie based.  Perhaps that has made a difference over the past few decades.  My sister is more similar to my parents and other relatives meat-wise (not Energy Drinks wise).

So I guess I'm rooting for a combo of inheriting dad's genes and my diet having been different since I left home.

Time will tell.  In one year's time I'll be her age now.  But I can keep my hope since I don't have any issues yet and she certainly had them before a year ago.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

There is a connection between gall bladder disease and estrogen. Women who have taken birth control pills and/or who have had many children are at higher risk for gall bladder disease (extra estrogen can increase cholesterol, which can cause the formation of some of the stones). Obesity is also a risk factor, although that was not an issue at all when I had to have my gall bladder removed. 

• Like 2

My gallbladder problems seemed to be triggered by (relatively rapid) weight loss. I was eating a healthy diet and through portion control, lost about 60 lbs over 5-6 months. So not too rapid, my doctor seemed to think it contributed. Once the attacks started then they occurred about every other day regardless of what I ate. I ended up having it removed.

• Like 1

Both sisters and I have had ours out in our 20's (with in weeks of having babies for all 3 of us) my mom had hers out only a couple years ago after nursing it through for 10+ years, by drinking thick apple cider vinegar (with "mother").  My dad had his out and so did his mother and most of his siblings, all in their 40's to 50's. Most of them eat reasonably well to a few being health nuts (there's 7 of them). I think it's a combination of genetics and or bad diet but there are things you can do. My mom swore by eating "lite" as in hardly ever, only small meals, low fat, and she ate apples every day and drank apple cider.

ETA: For some people life with out their gallbladder is no big deal, no change.  For many of us we're not so lucky.  I had mine out when I was 22 and I have been sick almost every day since.  

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

ETA: For some people life with out their gallbladder is no big deal, no change.  For many of us we're not so lucky.  I had mine out when I was 22 and I have been sick almost every day since.  

Sorry to hear that. May I ask what symptoms you experience? I thought all the gallbladder does is store and release bile, which is needed in fat digestion, but that without gallbladder, a constant trickle of bile is still present since the gb does not make the bile.

I cannot eat deep fried foods, but I never do anyway.

My gallbladder problems seemed to be triggered by (relatively rapid) weight loss. I was eating a healthy diet and through portion control, lost about 60 lbs over 5-6 months. So not too rapid, my doctor seemed to think it contributed. Once the attacks started then they occurred about every other day regardless of what I ate. I ended up having it removed.

Hmm, that's something potentially worrisome.  I've been losing weight (on purpose) taking advantage of the lack of hunger side effect I was left with.  But I haven't done it as quickly as you did, so perhaps that helps.  I keep 2 - 3 meals per day even if a meal is merely a piece of fruit at times.  Right now I'm actively losing more quickly because I picked up 7-8 lbs on our trip (down to just 3 lbs now, so about a lb per day off), but in general I try to keep it to a lb per week or so.

Both sisters and I have had ours out in our 20's (with in weeks of having babies for all 3 of us) my mom had hers out only a couple years ago after nursing it through for 10+ years, by drinking thick apple cider vinegar (with "mother").  My dad had his out and so did his mother and most of his siblings, all in their 40's to 50's. Most of them eat reasonably well to a few being health nuts (there's 7 of them). I think it's a combination of genetics and or bad diet but there are things you can do. My mom swore by eating "lite" as in hardly ever, only small meals, low fat, and she ate apples every day and drank apple cider.

:grouphug:  Couldn't add a like to your post, but I appreciate your contribution.  I've never considered drinking apple cider vinegar to be honest.  What is it supposed to do?

I (mostly) eat light meals though - mainly because I can no longer eat typical large ones without that "post Thanksgiving" feeling of discomfort.  One "average sized" meal per day is my limit, with any others being quite small - though when traveling I added more than at home (obviously, with the weight gain).