Menu

Business Math curriculum suggestions?

That's a difficult question to answer without knowing your student's math background and future plans. Possibly statistics or linear algebra for business applications would be courses to consider. Also, some states/colleges accept computer science for math credit so that would apply to business also.

Not. She's planning on getting a certificate in massage therapy. I figured that since she may be self employed in the future it might not be a bad idea to study some kind of business math.

If she was headed to college and needed to take college math, I would recommend that she take a course that keeps algebra skills fresh, but I agree that business math would be a better choice. 

There don't seem to be a ton of great texts at the high school level, though, and it can be hard to find teacher guides for the college level. 

I'd be tempted to go with something like Barron's EZ Business Math or Business Math Demystified. I've used the Barron and Demystified books for other subjects, and they had a lot of solid information. You could add in some general economics - you could probably find quite a few good videos on TED and other places. 

If she was headed to college and needed to take college math, I would recommend that she take a course that keeps algebra skills fresh, but I agree that business math would be a better choice. 

There don't seem to be a ton of great texts at the high school level, though, and it can be hard to find teacher guides for the college level. 

I'd be tempted to go with something like Barron's EZ Business Math or Business Math Demystified. I've used the Barron and Demystified books for other subjects, and they had a lot of solid information. You could add in some general economics - you could probably find quite a few good videos on TED and other places. 

Thanks, I'll look into those.