Menu

Writing with Ease with dyslexic

Aprilmousley

Hi All,

my dyslexic is successfully learning to summarize with WWE and does well with the copy work. My question is about dictation. I'm wondering if I should let her write her dictation phonetically or correct as she goes, correct afterwards or ? She does fairly well with punctuation as well, it's just that darn spelling.

I have done WWE with my last 3 and I did spelling differently each time. With ds2, dysgraphic, we just concentrated on doing a dictation of his summary, because the actual dictations were way too hard for him. He frequently would become paralyzed with not knowing how to spell and so I would spell things for him (as many as 90% of the words) to get him putting words on the paper.

With dd2, she didn't have the same perfectionism, but a much harder time remembering the order of words in the dictation sentence, so we did two words at a time, spelling only the ones she couldn't even come close to.

With both of them, every other week, we copied over the dictated sentence in "best handwriting" with corrected spelling. Ds2 also typed in his sentences, letting the spellcheck do some of the work.

By the time ds3 came along, I had no idea what "normal" would even look like. Though his handwriting is atrocious, he could do the dictation, spelling 80% of the words, and remembering nearly the complete sentence after 3 readings.

I think WWE is fantastic and it has been very easy to modify for strengths and weaknesses. I think spelling should be corrected to encourage kids, not to beat them down with constant correction. And for ds2 and dd2, it would have been constant, constant correction (think spelling "the"). I would rather my kids get words down and try to "write with ease" and save the mechanical fixing of spelling, punctuation, and handwriting for a separate time.

• Like 1

I have done WWE with my last 3 and I did spelling differently each time. With ds2, dysgraphic, we just concentrated on doing a dictation of his summary, because the actual dictations were way too hard for him. He frequently would become paralyzed with not knowing how to spell and so I would spell things for him (as many as 90% of the words) to get him putting words on the paper.

With dd2, she didn't have the same perfectionism, but a much harder time remembering the order of words in the dictation sentence, so we did two words at a time, spelling only the ones she couldn't even come close to.

With both of them, every other week, we copied over the dictated sentence in "best handwriting" with corrected spelling. Ds2 also typed in his sentences, letting the spellcheck do some of the work.

By the time ds3 came along, I had no idea what "normal" would even look like. Though his handwriting is atrocious, he could do the dictation, spelling 80% of the words, and remembering nearly the complete sentence after 3 readings.

I think WWE is fantastic and it has been very easy to modify for strengths and weaknesses. I think spelling should be corrected to encourage kids, not to beat them down with constant correction. And for ds2 and dd2, it would have been constant, constant correction (think spelling "the"). I would rather my kids get words down and try to "write with ease" and save the mechanical fixing of spelling, punctuation, and handwriting for a separate time.

Ok, you're blowing my mind here.  I had not thought of so many variations!  We're finally at that point where it's time to begin some writing/spelling with ds.    So you had your dysgraphic write dictations by hand and you gave the spelling? Interesting.

Ds2 wrote the dictations by hand. He still prefers to write by hand for outlines or a first draft. I don't know why. I think it is indecipherable. Now he reads the first draft to dragon and corrects as he goes (by how the writing sounds, then on the computer). This is why a paragraph may take an entire afternoon.

I spelled out loud. Slowly. Reminding him of phonics and easy spelling rules. Over and over. It was incredibly tedious and there were some days when I despaired. But overtime (6 years, 7?), it is sticking. He can spell well enough to Google. A small victory, but a big one, too. Like learning enough cursive to have a signature.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have done essentially the aar way. I didn't correct at first, now some things I help/show them howw to sound out cvc combos.

It's more about getting them to understand and organize in their minds sequence etc.

Spelling can come later without detriment.