Menu

Draw Europe vs. Drawing Around the World:Europe ?

Kendall

We just started Draw Asia by Draeger and are loving it.  It's a beautiful book, colorful, pages are really well laid out, her country hints are amusing....We just ordered Draw the USA and I'm sure we'll end up with all of them, in my opinion they are really well done!  (If you choose Surprise Me on the Amazon Look Inside feature you are able to see many more pages than when just paging through in order)

• Like 1

We just started Draw Asia by Draeger and are loving it.  It's a beautiful book, colorful, pages are really well laid out, her country hints are amusing....We just ordered Draw the USA and I'm sure we'll end up with all of them, in my opinion they are really well done!  (If you choose Surprise Me on the Amazon Look Inside feature you are able to see many more pages than when just paging through in order)

Can you give an idea of how long it might take to get through the lessons?  how many pages, etc.?

Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now!  The book can be gotten through as quickly or slowly as you desire.  Each page adds a small piece to the work done on the prior page...in very small increments.  You could work quickly through many pages....I think we we are doing around 8-10 pages in about 10-15 minutes.  I don't want to work through it so fast that it becomes a blur...we add a few countries and then read about them in our geography book.  But you could certainly work through it much more quickly if you wanted to.  I can easily see us re-visiting this multiple times over the years to really cement the country locations onto our mental maps!  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We have really enjoyed the Draeger books.  The one caveat?  I needed to add gridlines to every page to make it easier to get the proportions right.  

Could it be done on graph paper?  I have the download of Brookdale House and just got a good deal on three of the others.  I haven't had time to look at them closely to decide which we will do.

Edited by PentecostalMom

Could it be done on graph paper?  I have the download of Brookdale House and just got a good deal on three of the others.  I haven't had time to look at them closely to decide which we will do.

I copied the final map, then fold in the paper in half vertically and then half again, then unfold and fold in half horizontally and in half again.  I unfolded and traced the folds with a ruler.  I then added those lines to each page in the book on the correct places in her map.  

I had the kids start by folding the paper in half vertically and then half again, then unfold and fold in half horizontally and in half again, and tracing their lines.  That gave them the same grid.  

I'm sure it could be done on graph paper, but we found it easier to have the same lines in the book that we were using on paper.  

I would have to say the Drawing Around the World, is better for memorizing how to draw. With it, there are lesson plans, where day 1, you trace the country and find some facts about it (capital, climate, etc), then you trace only it on a map of the area, then draw only it in a blank space. Day 2, you trace all the countries you've learned so far, on a map of the area, then draw them all by memory (it does have grid lines). Day 3, is a repeat of day 2. Day 4 you list all learned so far, then draw them without grids or other identifying features (pieces of other continents), 

Whereas the Drager book, gives you clues to help you remember the shape, and you draw them on a blank piece of paper, adding as many as you want in 1 day. You could potentially do the whole book in 1 sitting, and keep repeating in order to be able to draw it by memory. We did the USA one, and one page shows and gives text clues where to draw and what for 1-2 states, and you do it on blank paper. Then the next page adds on a couple more states.