Menu

Puffin Classics: Tales of Ancient Egypt & Tales of.....

Sunshine Mama

Tales of Greek Heroes. Both written by Roger Lancelyn Green. We are doing SOTW Vol. 1 right now - my son is 6. Would these be age appropriate? I'm especially interested in comprehension level. WOuld he be able to understand it? TIA!

We're not big fans of Lancelyn Green in general, but his Tales of Ancient Egypt is one of two or three books (ever) that we chose not to finish. It's just boring. It's not as complex, but we enjoyed the stories in Ancient Egyptians by Sarah Quie (it is half myths and half non-fiction; we were underwhelmed by the non-fiction parts). We liked Padriac Colum's The Golden Fleece for Greek myths. Also Geraldine McCaughrean's two volumes of Greek myths (especially the one tied together with the story of Argos). We also read both Mary Pope Osborne's Odyssey series and Rosemary Sutcliff's Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus.

• 4 months later...

My dd8 loves Green's Robin Hood book, but, agrees with the above posters that the Tales of Ancient Egypt book was boring. We are currently reading The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt (not just about the pharaohs) by Elizabeth Payne and enjoying it. Also, Boy of the Pyramids By Ruth Fosdick Jones is a good storybook-type historical fiction. (You can find that one here.)

HTH,

Amanda

We read Tales of Ancient Egypt when my son was 8 - he seemed to like it at the time and I just asked him about it and he remembered it and remembers liking it but it did kind of drag the 2nd half of the book. I don't think we finished it and the other books mentioned by other posters are as good or better and more at comprehension level.

We read this together while we were living at my parents after w elost our home in the flood. Our Egyptian history books were the only things to make it through the flood.

My daughter was 6 and a newly turned 7, my son also listended in. My daughter loved it. We did some discussion questions from it and she also used it to draw out pictures fro the story to show her brother and grandparents when they got home from work and so forth.

She just read it for fun a few weeks ago and still enjoyed it.

My daughter really loves to read though and retains info well form books.

You could always give it a try and switch and save for later if it is not working for you.

Good luck.