Menu

Geometry Course Description - Holt Geo. by Burger

My son is taking the MyHomeschoolMathClass Geometry with Jann in Texas and I need your help to come up with a good course description for what they have covered.  If your child is in this class I would love to see what you are using as your description.  If your child is not in this class I would still love to have your input. =)

Here is what I have so far:

This is a Pre-AP Algebra-based Geometry class that emphasizes the study of the properties and application of common geometric figures in two and three dimensions. Euclidean methods are used to solve proofs of geometric figures.  The student uses inductive and deductive reasoning skills in problem solving.   The text emphasizes real world applications of geometric principles.  Constructions and transformations are explored as well as tessellations.  Numerous axioms and theorems are introduced with regard to congruence and triangles.  The study of triangle is further amplified by the study of the Pythagorean theorem and other properties of right triangles including the introduction of trigonometric ratios.

Primary Text used:  Holt Geometry, by Dr Edward Burger (2007) ISBN 9780030358289

I can't help with any of the details about the content, but two things did make me stop & think: "Pre-AP" and "algebra-based."  There isn't a geometry AP exam, so describing the course as "Pre-AP" seems a little odd. If a course is labeled "Pre-AP," I've assumed that it's the first step towards taking a full-on AP course in that subject. Maybe you mean that the class was an "Honors" class?

The term "Algebra-based Geometry" seems a little odd, too. To me, it implies that there are different sorts of high school geometry classes, like the difference between algebra-based physics and calc-based physics. But, aren't high school geometry classes pretty standard? What is "algebra-based" is intended to convey?

Can you ask the instructor for a detailed course description?

• Like 1

I can't help with any of the details about the content, but two things did make me stop & think: "Pre-AP" and "algebra-based."  There isn't a geometry AP exam, so describing the course as "Pre-AP" seems a little odd. If a course is labeled "Pre-AP," I've assumed that it's the first step towards taking a full-on AP course in that subject. Maybe you mean that the class was an "Honors" class?

The term "Algebra-based Geometry" seems a little odd, too. To me, it implies that there are different sorts of high school geometry classes, like the difference between algebra-based physics and calc-based physics. But, aren't high school geometry classes pretty standard? What is "algebra-based" is intended to convey?

I agree with these two things.

I know that you need geometry for calculus, but I haven't heard of Pre-AP geometry and it sounds odd to me. If that's a description used in your school district, then that's different. 

Re algebra-based: would 'integrated' be a better word? We're on our 2nd go-round of this book, so I looked at the TG and I don't see where they use the term algebra-based. 

FWIW, I did not put course descriptions for math or science on dd's transcripts. When she signed up for DE at our local university, the admissions officer said that they can tell a lot from texts used, and that most admissions people are very familiar with the vast majority of texts (she recognized even some of our less common ones). 

Holt does have differentiated instruction, but I just put 'honors' in the course title and left it at that. I did do course descriptions for English and history, to show the extent and quality of reading. My hope was that someone might actually read the course descriptions if I kept them as short as possible! 

No one asked for more details. 

• Like 1

These are copied from schools webpage of teachers using the same textbook

"Geometry covers Euclidean, transformational, and coordinate geometry, Pythagorean theorem and distance formula, properties of polygons, circles, and 3-dimensional figures, perimeter, area, volume, similar and congruent figures for solving and using proofs, constructions, several approaches to proofs, and the development of mathematical reasoning."

http://schools.olatheschools.com/buildings/north/files/2012/07/Math.Geometry-Schaffer.pdf

"The student will learn the Foundations for Geometry (chapter 1), Geometric Reasoning (chapter 2), Parallel and Perpendicular Lines (chapter 3), Triangle Congruence (chapter 4), Properties and Attributes of Triangles (chapter 5), Polygons and Quadrilaterals (chapter 6), Similarity (chapter 7), Right Triangles and Trigonometry (chapter 8), Extending Perimeter, Circumference, and Area (chapter 9), Spatial Reasoning (chapter 10), Circles (chapter 11), Extending Transformational Geometry (chapter 12)."http://www.ehs.isd77.org/page/2690

• Like 3

Can you ask the instructor for a detailed course description?

Thanks Yvonne,  I actually borrowed the term from Mrs. Perkins own class description: 

"This is an Algebra-based Geometry class.  Proofs are taught (traditional 2 column and coordinate based) however, the emphasis is on the application and use of Geometric concepts. The variety of available teaching materials allows the instructor to tailor the course to the individual needs of each student. Algebra 1 skills will be used throughout the course.  

Honors supplements are available for students who thrive with challenge.

Homework load is approximately 4 hours per week outside of class."

I believe what she is talking about is the fact that the book goes the extra mile to tie back geometric concepts to algebraic equations.

• Like 1