Menu

Questions inside about how to use these new boards....

Janie

First of all, I hope that I can realize the promise of many here that all this will get easier. It's nice to have all the bells and whistles, but quickly scanning the boards as I used to do is not any quicker or easier. Maybe I don't have things set up right, so I'd appreciate some help!

1. Is there a way to set the number of board posts visible to more than 20?

2. How do you embed a link (to a blog or otherwise) in you signature and posts?

3. Is there a setting to see all the threads and posts of those threads at the same time (like you could on the old board)?

I know I've other questions but only these come to mind now.

Thanks for your help.

Off to grade 30 book reports.

Some things that might help:

Look at the top right of the page, click on the button that says "display modes", clicking on hybrid, or threaded will show you the original post and the respones. It will not be exactly as it use to be, but it helps.

To get back to the forum page you were on after reading a thread, look at the top left of the screen, it will say "The well-trained minds (aka hive mind) > K-8 general board" click there to go back quickly.

Also, the best info I got was that at the bottom left of your screen(when you are on a forum page) is a set of butons that allow you to view the threads by time started, most recently posted to, etc. Choose "thread start time", then "last day", and "descending order". You have to do this every time on a new page though. It does, however make it easier (for me) because it shows the latest posts first like on the old board.

HTH

3. Is there a setting to see all the threads and posts of those threads at the same time (like you could on the old board)?[/color][/size][/font]
Just to quickly answer this one -- no, there is no way to get a view like on the old board. The closest you can come is a threaded view within each thread.

(1) - I love having the number visible set to 40 :) Go to Control Panel | Edit Options, and then scroll down. You'll find a bunch of choices for number visible.

(2) - The edit boxes for both signatures and posts have a globe+chain icon above the text area; click on that to add a link. If what you want to know is where/how to create a signature, it's over in Control Panel | Edit Signature.

(3) - The closest I've been able to come to the old look & easy scanning is this combination:

- 40 posts per page

- Turn off avatars & images (sorry all, but it simplifies the look a lot!)

- Hybrid threading (adds the little overview box above the actual posts)

I prefer to leave the posts so they appear in chron/threaded order within the thread, but apparently you can change that -- there are options at the bottom of each posts page.

Good luck!