Menu

French: progression of novels for native speakers?

Hello,

Does anyone know of a book list of novels or other literature arranged more or less by age or grade?  

I am getting stuck in that most books I find on the shelves here are translations of English children's literature into French.  It seems silly to read a translation when the kid could read the original, especially for "great works" like Tom Sawyer and other classics.  A few books that I don't care much about I don't mind giving the French translation.  But if I happen to have an emotional attachment to the book, and it was written in English, I want the dc to read it in English!  lol.  So I'm looking for books actually written in French, arranged by ideal age for the reader.  

• Like 1

I know what you mean, and dd does not want to read some stories in every language...

You can set www.livredepoche.com and www.livredepochjeunesse.com on french grade level.

But this is not for younger children.

That's why we used leveled readers like 'A mots conte'.

And ordered the book if she would read the remainder of the story.

As I know you are also working with English - French - German.

Save Astrid Lindgren, Erich Kastner, Heidi for German...

And I tackled the PNEU schedules for French at the AO site one summer.

Just to get an idea for how to build up French.

Her reading suggestions are stil useful (but not much)

And have swiss school publishers also book subscriptions?

Something like:

http://www.averbode.be/tirelire

http://www.averbode.be/Pub/7enpoche/Les-titres.html

So far my research....

• Like 1

Hello,

Does anyone know of a book list of novels or other literature arranged more or less by age or grade?

I am getting stuck in that most books I find on the shelves here are translations of English children's literature into French. It seems silly to read a translation when the kid could read the original, especially for "great works" like Tom Sawyer and other classics. A few books that I don't care much about I don't mind giving the French translation. But if I happen to have an emotional attachment to the book, and it was written in English, I want the dc to read it in English! lol. So I'm looking for books actually written in French, arranged by ideal age for the reader.

Many of the books have, in the back cover, a list of classics recommended by stage, so "college", "lycee" etc. i will email you because I don't know how to attach

I know what you mean, and dd does not want to read some stories in every language...

You can set www.livredepoche.com and www.livredepochjeunesse.com on french grade level.

But this is not for younger children.

That's why we used leveled readers like 'A mots conte'.

And ordered the book if she would read the remainder of the story.

As I know you are also working with English - French - German.

Save Astrid Lindgren, Erich Kastner, Heidi for German...

And I tackled the PNEU schedules for French at the AO site one summer.

Just to get an idea for how to build up French.

Her reading suggestions are stil useful (but not much)

And have swiss school publishers also book subscriptions?

Something like:

http://www.averbode.be/tirelire

http://www.averbode.be/Pub/7enpoche/Les-titres.html

So far my research....

Thanks!  We have some of the compilation books (mots contés, etc) with excerpts- it's a good idea to then go out and buy the full work for those we like.  Great idea!  

• Like 1

Thanks! We have some of the compilation books (mots contés, etc) with excerpts- it's a good idea to then go out and buy the full work for those we like. Great idea!

I don't know for the younger years, but CNED / EAD ( I forgot which one) shows in their course outline what literature they use. But that is above 6eme (according to french schoolsystem).

One might check different publishers for different titels (Nathan, Magnard)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am getting stuck in that most books I find on the shelves here are translations of English children's literature into French.  

The problem is that they don't actually have as much literature - classical that is - written by French authors for younger readers - which is why you are seeing more translations....

If you think of it in reverse - how many 'classics' for younger readers - do we have that were translated from the French ?

It does create problems for multilingual families who want to read the classic in the original language.

My HE friends whose children didn't read in English but liked to read, just read all the translations. You've probably seen those pink and green sets of classics here.....

• Like 2

The problem is that they don't actually have as much literature - classical that is - written by French authors for younger readers - which is why you are seeing more translations....

If you think of it in reverse - how many 'classics' for younger readers - do we have that were translated from the French ?

It does create problems for multilingual families who want to read the classic in the original language.

My HE friends whose children didn't read in English but liked to read, just read all the translations. You've probably seen those pink and green sets of classics here.....

This is definitely part of the problem- I recently saw Tom Sawyer in translation in French and I had an almost physical aversion to it!  Tom Sawyer in French!  Oh no!

So the few classics that ARE in French, well, I now have a hard time placing them, grade-wise because I don't have experience with them.  My son loves the audio books for the Jules Verne books, but they are harder to place grade-wise for reading due to the length.  Similarly, 3 Musketeers and similar... probably the equivalent of Us adventure classics, but the wordiness!  Oh my.  I know many writers were getting paid by the word at that point in history, so I'm wondering about good abridged versions (in French) as well.  I should probably just go to Payot and ask, or ask on the handful of French homeschooler blogs.  Hmm...  

probably the equivalent of Us adventure classics, but the wordiness!  Oh my.  I know many writers were getting paid by the word at that point in history, so I'm wondering about good abridged versions (in French) as well. 

Well, French is already a more 'wordy' language than English...

I have two French books about 'literature and youth' but they're packed away somewhere. Hopefully I'll remember to tell you about them once we unpack...Maybe they'll mention 'good' abridged versions.

You know for the Swiss matu, Jules Verne is on the list...I think you can analyse his works at different levels....the same for the Fables de la Fontaine and others.

Perhaps that's a starting point for you....if you want your children to read the abridged versions of classics, you could look at the Matu reading list...

Go to this page and scroll down looking for the 

http://www.sbfi.admin.ch/themen/01366/01379/01626/index.html?lang=fr

Liste des oeuvres littéraire 

I've actually come to like the 'way of discussing' aspect of French - sometimes - just because they end up saying things in a more delicate and diplomatic way (when it comes to a sensitive topic)...

I haven't studied it officially - that's just a perception, so I don't know what 'experts' would say....

• Like 2

Well, French is already a more 'wordy' language than English...

I have two French books about 'literature and youth' but they're packed away somewhere. Hopefully I'll remember to tell you about them once we unpack...Maybe they'll mention 'good' abridged versions.

You know for the Swiss matu, Jules Verne is on the list...I think you can analyse his works at different levels....the same for the Fables de la Fontaine and others.

Perhaps that's a starting point for you....if you want your children to read the abridged versions of classics, you could look at the Matu reading list...

Go to this page and scroll down looking for the 

http://www.sbfi.admin.ch/themen/01366/01379/01626/index.html?lang=fr

Liste des oeuvres littéraire 

I've actually come to like the 'way of discussing' aspect of French - sometimes - just because they end up saying things in a more delicate and diplomatic way (when it comes to a sensitive topic)...

I haven't studied it officially - that's just a perception, so I don't know what 'experts' would say....

I had to LOL.  I live with a man who takes about four hours to get to his point, because he is so polite and delicate about everything he says.  Sometimes I just want to shake him and say, "JUST COME OUT WITH IT!!!"  Hahaha!  When I end up doing some kind of official correspondence (bank, insurance, whatever) my letters are about 6 sentences long.  I have never, not once, seen DH write a letter less than two pages long.  TWO PAGES LONG!  LOL!!!  Ah, francophones.  :-)

I am usually opposed to abridgments, but am starting to think that I may make exceptions for French!  

I have spent the last hour or so on the website for La Librarie des Eccles, and I am starting to think I will just use them across the board for French LA.  If that makes me a bit more "school at home" than "homeschool", so be it!  

• Like 2

The flip side of this is that it seems french kids are reading Balzac and Voltaire in middle school. Not my kid.... ;)

OP, we use many of the abridged versions here. I know they are meant for DELF learners, but still:

http://www.blackcat-cideb.com/search.php?lev=lire-entrainer-l3&q=Lire%20et%20s%27entra%C3%AEner%20-%20Niveau%203

• Like 2