Menu

First Form Latin online

I chose MP because I like the way they schedule a lesson a week. I like having a daily routine and it's easier for us when new lessons start on the same day and the quiz is on the same day each week. I did not see the Kolbe online syllabus, but I have the Kolbe lesson plans and the scheduling of lessons is not as regular or predictable. My assumption is that more difficult material gets more time and while that makes sense to me, my preference is routine.

The other concern for me is that Kolbe currently only offers FFL and SFL. I recall at one point they offered a combined SFL/TFL. If you finish SFL or even TFL I believe you are somewhere in the middle of Henle I. So, I'm not sure what Kolbe recommends after finishing SFL.

Kolbe's FFL does meet twice a week for 1:05 where MP meets only once a week for 1:30, so you are getting extra class time with Kolbe.

Edited by SevenDaisies
  • Like 1

Dd is currently taking SFL online with MP. I chose it over Kolbe because the class meets once per week for 1.5 hours vs. twice a week for 1 hour per meeting. The once a week class fit our schedule better, and dd didn't need the extra class time.

At Kolbe, after SFL you would start Latin 1 using Henle. Yes, there is a lot of overlap in terms of vocabulary and grammar concepts, but Henle starts out with a lot of whole-sentence translation, where the Form series focuses more on drilling paradigms, vocabulary, and phrases, with some simple sentences thrown in. So there are still new skills to work on. I think starting at the beginning of Henle 1 after SFL is a perfect transition. My dd will be switching over to Wheelock's next year from SFL.

Last year, I saw that Kolbe offered a combined 3rd/4th Form Latin class as an alternative to their Henle 1 class. My best guess is that they found it better to transition to Henle after SFL so they dropped that option this year.

Dd has taken other online classes with Kolbe and they have been well run. I think either option would be great. I would choose the class that best fits your schedule, but would lean toward the Kolbe class if you feel your student would do better with in-class practice twice a week vs. once per week.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments!  If I can ask one more question... with no Latin knowledge myself do you think I can teach FFL if I have all of the materials, cd, dvd, etc?  I only have one child so I have more time but don't want to spend hours each week doing prep.  Just trying to choose the best way to spend our funds and online class time.  I'm deciding between a socratic good books class (which we have done and liked) and doing Latin.  I appreciate your input.

Thank you for your comments!  If I can ask one more question... with no Latin knowledge myself do you think I can teach FFL if I have all of the materials, cd, dvd, etc?  I only have one child so I have more time but don't want to spend hours each week doing prep.  Just trying to choose the best way to spend our funds and online class time.  I'm deciding between a socratic good books class (which we have done and liked) and doing Latin.  I appreciate your input.

Yes, I do think you can teach FFL yourself - especially with the DVD. We did FFL at home quite successfully. I didn't enroll her in the OL class until SFL, and the biggest reason I enrolled her was because she needed deadlines to keep up the pace.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments! If I can ask one more question... with no Latin knowledge myself do you think I can teach FFL if I have all of the materials, cd, dvd, etc? I only have one child so I have more time but don't want to spend hours each week doing prep. Just trying to choose the best way to spend our funds and online class time. I'm deciding between a socratic good books class (which we have done and liked) and doing Latin. I appreciate your input.

Absolutely. We did FFL without a class, although Dd and I both had prior Latin experience so I'm sure that helped. I didn't really have to do any teaching - the DVDs are well done.

• Like 1

I think you can do it at home. I would get an extra student book for yourself. Do everything with or slightly ahead of you kid. (I did this for FFL, but didn't quite finish the book myself.) Make sure you do recitation everyday and go through the grammar questions a couple times per week.

• Like 2

Great, thank you everyone.  I like the idea of buying a second student book for me to do.  That is what I'm doing with out FF French we are using.  But, I have taken French so I was more comfortable.  Latin is intimidating! I like the idea of saving that money for SFL.