Menu

Another What is Gifted thread...

DS is 4, will be 5 in April.  We have always known he was smart, possibly bright and ahead in various areas but chalked it up to lots of reading.  Gave a lot of credit to Preschool Prep Co videos and thought he just maintained being ahead since he learned letters and numbers so early.  

We are starting to see some things now though that make us wonder if its smart, bright or something more.  The pediatrician mentioned it on a recent visit when he questioned her endlessly on the model of the ear and everything else in the room.  He pointed out something she had never noticed before and didn't know the purpose.  His ability to pick up knowledge without us teaching it-knowing our phone number just by hearing it a few times.  Picking up difference between 10s, 100s and 1000s thanks to a Curious George episode and me writing out how you add another zero to get 100, one more to get 1000 and being able to answer when asked what numbers make up 6000 for instance.  A friend of his grandfather told him the other day that he would be 68 on his next birthday and ds saying that means he is 67 now.  I realized one day he was almost able to count to 100 and we never worked on it with him.  He can tell time (hours on analog and hours and minutes on digital) by me telling him once how to do it.  He recognizes numbers up to 100 (and can count and recognize numbers up to a 1000 counting by 100s-so he knows 200, 300, 400, etc)-again not by anything I did to teach it.  He picked it up by checking to see what % power was left on the Kindle :)   Learned left and right by asking which direction we were turning in the car a few times and can now tell you exactly which hand is right or left or which direction something may be.  A very sensitive boy who is upset 2 days later that his teacher threw away a rock he was playing with and had developed an entire story around.  He feels things deeply.

Now, I am fully aware he may be garden variety bright and we are just fine with that-thrilled in fact!  But if its something more I want to get him the support he needs.  I don't believe he is PG or anything, just curious what we need to have in place going forward.  Or am I one of those parents that sees greatness where there is none ;)

Enjoy the wonders of early childhood while you can.  He will let you know when he is not getting enough content - wait for that signal before reacting. Until then, just keep being a parent, and let him keep being a kid.

Intensities are indeed a signal, but not a guarantee that your child will need individualized education for the rest of his childhood.  Tread the acceleration path with caution - once you start singling out your child, life will get much tougher for him.   Normal friendships and conversations are important for kids, and being 3+ years ahead by middle school makes that difficult unless you are in a heavily populated area.

That said, PG can show up in surprising places.  It isn't always obvious, even to mom or dad.  If you have a PG, there won't be any holding back in a couple of years.  Then, you'll be spending your time trying to find ways to create normalcy.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

I too agree with the suggestion. With time things will be more clear. For your satisfaction you may also send him to learning center where the experts will help him to grow and learn more. Many learning center official sites also give information about their future programs and facilities.

Edited by BettyCortez

I also agree with letting things sort themselves out.

DS9 was much like yours when he was 3, 4, 5, 6...and so on.  At 4, he was SO interested in the human body, I let him sit with my college Anatomy textbook to flip through.  He couldn't read it, but he loved looking at the pictures.  It was almost as big as him!

He has a very strong memory and can recall surprising details of things that happened years ago.  He was not necessarily advanced in his milestones, and in fact...he was quite average in most.  He *COULD* have been a walker as young as 9 months but refused to let go.  He was a very cautious toddler.  Was building three-dimensional structures with blocks by 2 and 100 piece puzzles by 3-4.  

I knew when he was just a couple of months old that he was probably going to be "bright".  I could tell by the way he observed things.  At 2 months, he didn't just bat at hanging toys, he grabbed onto them and slowly turned them over to investigate the entire toy.  You could almost see the little gears in his head working.

So I started him in school when he was 3.  And I regret that I pushed way too hard.  By 4 he was starting to read, then we moved interstate and I shelved schooling for almost an entire year.  

Because he had a speech delay (that's a misnomer...he was talking in full sentences by 18 months, but we couldn't understand him because his connected speech was so poor)...he was evaluated by the school district at 5.  They were shocked that he was able to read (I didn't think 5 was that young to be a reader but...whatevs).  Ultimately, his IQ was "only" in the 110s-120s (I can't remember now).  

You know what?  Despite all of those early signs of "giftedness", he is an advanced learner, but not gifted.  Don't get me wrong...he's a grade level ahead in math, could be further if I didn't stall him somewhat, and is nearly 3 grade levels ahead in reading.  But...he's not gifted.  He's above average.  And I'm perfectly ok with that!  

I just want to suggest gently...let things play out a bit.  You'll know soon enough whether he's PG or more like my son.  Regardless...you'll find him an adventure to teach!  But don't do what I did....don't push too soon...lol.  I nearly burnt my kiddo out on two different occasions.  

• Like 2