Menu

LAST UPDATE #67: I'm pretty sure I'm just not cut out for co-op life...

I think the letter is great - tactful and to the point.  

I do think it'd be a good idea to leave out the 3rd paragraph completely.  If someone wants to know more info, then share it.  

Thanks!  I just got a call from a Boardmember that the issue with the sub is already being addressed since it was obviously an issue with the sub and not my child or hers.  

She also told me that even though the co-op has a no refund policy, she motioned for a refund for us and the president seconded her.  They don't even need the sub (that is a boardmember) to vote.  2 out of 3 is majority. 

I'm glad I kept it tactful and classy.  I've been told that the President plans to share part of the letter at the next mom meeting.  (Interestingly, the last meeting was about liability insurance....)  

I'll be dropping off my class supplies when I pick up the refund.  Easy peasy. 

This morning I was feeling "stuck."  Now I feel much better. 

• Like 17

I agree, I'd stick to the first two points. The third, while frustrating, might sound "subjective" to them, while the other two points are very objective. 

Now what do I say? 

I think you had good examples. Here's a slightly edited version:

Dear Board (I'll put their names here), 

Thank you for the opportunity to try _________ Co-Op for the spring semester.  Unfortunately, this co-op is not a good fit for our family. As you know, my children all have severe nut allergies (there is nothing like sitting in the back of an ambulance with your three year old as the paramedic calls in your child's information and "near fatal anaphylactic shock" like we experienced this past October!)  I do appreciate the efforts with signs, multiple emails, multiple Facebook Group announcements and asking each parent on campus. Unfortunately, this hasn't reduced the amount of nuts on campus, and I can't continue to put my children at risk.  

In addition, it doesn't seem like the co-op guidelines are being followed.  Per ______ co-op guidelines, there should be two parents in every classroom for liability issues. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a co-teacher available for the three  Fingerpainting classes I've taught. I have tried to fulfill this guideline for others--in addition to teaching finger-painting, I've served as a co-teacher for Elementary Science, completed the kitchen tasks each week, and sat in on several other classes to ensure that the 2 adult member was met. 

So, for these reasons we are discontinuing our co-op attendance. Thank you again for including us, and best wishes for your future classes.

Sincerely,

GAPeachie

• Like 2

I dropped out of our co-op in the middle of the fall semester. I felt horribly guilty but it was not a pleasant experience for us and not what we were looking for. We are SO much happier without co-op! It's such a relief to be done!!

I'm sorry your experience was not a good one either. I agree that you should drop out and I think your letter is tactful. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your semester and feel less stressed.

We should have a support group for homeschool co-op drop outs. 😠I still feel like I'm recovering from our experience.

• Like 2

I think I'm throwing in the towel and calling this fight.  

Today was day 3.  I still have not had a helper in my class (policy is that every class should have 2 teachers in it.)  I DID manage to get the children to paint with colors instead of mixing everything together and having blood colored paint.  Y'all, it looked like a crime scene day 1 and 2!  

I gave up on fingerpainting and found foam brushes for the kids wayyyyy in the back of the supply closet.  Today I mixed paint in separate bowls, and carried the color over to the child that wanted it.  

We did three paintings today.  One was their name (or the letters of their name since we didn't all have proper spacing.  Oh and my own son misspelled his name but he is 3.)  Then we did shapes and then a free paint piece.  I managed to fill my entire hour.  

And then at lunch we had the THIRD nut exposure.  THREE weeks of nut exposure!  My husband is at his wit's end.  I'm frustrated beyond measure.  

And THEN our son was excused from preschool (3-5 year old) singing class by a sub (and board member.)  From what I overheard and he told me, he wasn't sitting "yike a statue in a circle" and he touched a chair.  The sub reported 2/3 of the class to their parents... leaving only her child as the remaining student.  

My husband has now hit the roof.  And so it goes.  I think we are going to be co-op drop outs.   :( 

I think you should drop out. It does not sound well run.

Edited by Janeway

I will tell you, a good coop will have mostly experienced members with some new members. Soon, the new members become experienced members. It takes experience and mentoring to handle a room full of kids, lesson planning for large groups, and to know what to expect from the kids. This coop sounds poorly managed. Sounds like you did not have proper supplies for the class and had to wing it. It sounds like the person running the singing preschool group had no clue what she was doing. And really, preschoolers do not need to be trying to do the same activity over and over again for an hour. Sheesh!

Time to quit. If you want to give another coop a try, find a new one. And look for one with people who have been doing that coop for a while and who work well together. Well, if they have been doing it together for a while, chances are, they work well together. Also, do not do one that allows preschoolers who do not have older siblings there. That just brings on its own set of problems.

• Like 1

I will tell you, a good coop will have mostly experienced members with some new members. Soon, the new members become experienced members. It takes experience and mentoring to handle a room full of kids, lesson planning for large groups, and to know what to expect from the kids. This coop sounds poorly managed. Sounds like you did not have proper supplies for the class and had to wing it. It sounds like the person running the singing preschool group had no clue what she was doing. And really, preschoolers do not need to be trying to do the same activity over and over again for an hour. Sheesh!

Time to quit. If you want to give another coop a try, find a new one. And look for one with people who have been doing that coop for a while and who work well together. Well, if they have been doing it together for a while, chances are, they work well together. Also, do not do one that allows preschoolers who do not have older siblings there. That just brings on its own set of problems.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with trying to do co-ops.  Dh says I need to keep repeating, "Not my monkey, not my circus."  LOL  

• Like 6

I'm pretty sure I'm done with trying to do co-ops.  Dh says I need to keep repeating, "Not my monkey, not my circus."  LOL  

I LOVE it!!! Co-ops are definitely NOT my circus, either. I have a crazy enough circus all on my own.

So glad that things are working out well for you. Enjoy your precious time with your children. It flies by so fast.

I don't like Co-Ops either.  I also don't like CC with their forced parent participation.  Those days exhausted me and we actually had a good group of families.  Instead, I take my girls to tutorials.   You drop them off and come back to pick them up.  Sometimes, you can come help with an activity or party - it is an option not forced participation.  We like those much better.  My daughter actually lost her best friend because we didn't return to CC.  They had been besties from preschool - fourth grade.  It was sad and hard to understand, but my daughter hated CC too.

Good luck finding a better fit for your family.

Suzanne