Menu

American Girl dolls' hair vs Our Generation Dolls from Target

we had one of the Target dolls and the hair was awful in short order. Our AG dolls, on the other hand, still have beautiful hair (if maybe a little less glossy). Both brands of dolls were similarly cared for.

One of the tricks to keeping it nice is NOT using a regular brush. AG tells you to use a wig brush and that works best (you can get a cheaper one at Sally's Beauty Supply).

My girls have a couple of Our Generation and many American Girl dolls. The OG dolls hair tangles up much MUCH worse than the AG dolls. We have had very good success with keeping the AG hair nice with occassional brushings and have never had to replace their hair (some of their dolls are 10 yrs. old).

They do like the OG clothes--MUCH less expensive.

I've heard the AG dolls have hair that gets tangled and ruined easily when it's brushed.

If you treat the AG dolls' hair properly, it stays looking great. (Now the dolls from when *I* was a child -- back when it was Pleasant Company -- have hair that isn't as nice, but the slightly newer dolls have great hair.)

I highly recommend getting this AG Doll Hair kit -- it's inexpensive and includes a book, demonstration dvd, and wire wig brush (especially for AG dolls). You'll also need a small spray bottle for "misting" hair whenever you brush.

The Our Generation hair, on the other hand... There's not much good to be said about it, except that the dolls are (relatively) cheap.

A little tip for tangled doll hair (only use on the el cheapo dolls, because, if it doesn't work, I don't want to be responsible)--

"Wash" the hair with pure Downey. Supposedly gets all the tangles out. Use a wire wig brush (as was mentioned) while it's wet and gently work the tangles out. Should dry fairly nice. (I think you rinse after getting the snarls out, but don't overbrush.)

If you treat the AG dolls' hair properly, it stays looking great.

I highly recommend getting this AG Doll Hair kit -- it's inexpensive and includes a book, demonstration dvd, and wire wig brush (especially for AG dolls). You'll also need a small spray bottle for "misting" hair whenever you brush.

QUOTE]

I agree. We are fortunate enough to have an American Girl Store here, and they styled Peyton's Felicity doll for $20. It had gotten really bad over the two years she had her. Her hair is beautiful once again. And now that Peyton is and we have the styling kit, I think it will stay that way.

We are fortunate enough to have an American Girl Store here, and they styled Peyton's Felicity doll for $20. It had gotten really bad over the two years she had her. Her hair is beautiful once again.

What do you mean by "really bad?" Was it just tangled, or did it look matted? Do you know what they did to fix it?

It was pretty badly tangled, but I wouldn't say it was matted. I think they misted it with water, then worked with the American Girl brush, from the ends up to get the tangles out. Then they styled it.

I think if you got the DVD and brush you could easily do it yourself. It would just take some patience.

Thanks for the tips! The library actually has the book you recommended, so we'll get it and try out the tips and the brush on the dolls we have. I appreciate your help!

Thanks to everyone else, too! You've convinced me!

lol, when we bought our oldest dd an American Girl doll, dd#2 wanted one too. We didn't think she was old enough yet, so when we happened upon a OG doll at the thrift store, I let her bring her home. That doll's hair was horrid in no time flat. (and her skin tone actually changed color - by the end of our "time" with us, she had this sickly green tinge to her skin. Ick!)

I told dd that we needed to send Alisa off to the American Girl hospital to get all fixed up - and ordered her a new doll (with red hair and brown eyes, just like the OG doll). She arrived, in a hospital gown, and dd was pleased as punch with the "makeover."

I see you've already made up your mind - but wanted to chime in anyway - my girls have had their AG dolls for a few years now and they have the hair care kit - and their dolls' hair looks great. It's not quite as shiny as it used to be, but there are no tangles. :)