Menu

Asthma & Allergy help

LarlaB

In the last few years my asthma, allergies & sinus issues have intensified, and again so in the last 6 months.  It feels like a screw thats getting tightened and tightened.  I have known environmental allergies that are present year round  (dust, mold, grass, pine, weeds, smoke etc) but only one known food allergy because I've only been tested for one- LOL- but I still experience intense Spring and Fall allergies.   It is now to the point where I know I need to see an ENT for chronic sinus issues, as well as pursuing more treatments (either shots or sublingual) as well as accupunture for allergies.  

DH is in a job transition- hopefully going from self employed to a job with benefits, so I've been waiting on medical insurance (we currently only Christian medical sharing).

I take Allegra daily, year round, REDD sinus (Quercitin, Bromelain etc) daily, Sudafed.  Three weeks ago started taking Benadryl every night before going to bed because I've noticed my generalized allergic reactions are increasing in severity. What used to cause mild congestion and headache, now provokes wheezing and moderate/severe congestion on contact. 

Last night I had an asthma attack after getting up from bed and going to the kitchen for some hot tea.   No real exertion, and I don't know what triggered it.  I used my rescue inhaler twice in 1 hour, but was still short of breath for several hours. Honestly, it scared me. 

Talk to me about short term home remedies for asthma- how can I relieve the tight chest feeling?   How do you 'handle' a highly allergic body?  

I wonder if you have an allergy showing up that you hadn't dealt with before.  Since you seem to have newer problems at night in the bedroom, I would start there.  What are your pillows made of?  When is the last time you did a deep clean and vacuumed under the bed? Laundered the curtains or cleaned of a ceiling fan?  I would wonder if there was a hidden mold situation that you didn't know about.  If the scary stuff persists, I would consider calling an inspector to come check out your home for hidden mold.

I deal with allergies by taking local raw honey daily in my tea, and by drastically reducing the amount of dairy I consume (reduces mucus production drastically).   I have used peppermint oil to help take away that tightness in my lungs as well.  To do that, I put two drops of pure peppermint EO in a mug with a cup of boiling water.  Then I sat at the table and just breathed in the vapors from time to time.  Not constantly, because peppermint is an eye irritant.  But it really helps when that asthma tries to cause things to close up and stay closed. 

• Like 1

I know this is going to sound really hooey, but my sinus/allergy problems improved A LOT after I cut out gluten.  Like you, I lived on Sudafed (the kind you sign for) and Allegra, the occasional Benadryl, plus Tylenol/Aspirin/Caffeine for the daily headaches  I also used Flonase for a couple of years. Anyway, after going GF I was able to stop using all of the above. I do still take Benadryl when I have food reactions and I still drink my daily cup of coffee ;)

I was tested for celiac, but it came back negative, so that's not why it worked.  The thing is, I'm so much more functional w/o the gluten. I've been GF for 5 years. I do still have some sinus issues during peek allergy season, but it's nowhere near as bad as before.

I have generally very mild asthma, but a few years ago, it started flaring badly in the heat, and unfortunately, that seems to have continued. I end up on a daily steroid inhaler to reduce the inflammation on my lungs; this year, instead of waiting until it gets bad, my doctor is having me start the inhaler in April, in hopes that it won't get bad.

I do take Zyrtec every day, and I am getting allergy testing this year to see if we can pinpoint what's bothering me.

Thank you for the suggestions in input.  

I know I need to approach my Dr about some seasonal support- RE preventative inhaler, but am still looking for effective at home treatments.   

I added Mucinex to the mix today as well (and I'm also taking Flonase nasal spray 1x day) and took a Eucalyptus oil bath which helped relieve nasal congestion and loosen the tight chest feeling.  

Have you tried a steroid nasal spray and/or a low dose daily preventative inhaler? Both were very helpful here

Like Flonase?  I think I forgot to mention that....its OTC but was what my Dr recommended.  I only use it in Spring and Fall though.

I wonder if you have an allergy showing up that you hadn't dealt with before.  Since you seem to have newer problems at night in the bedroom, I would start there.  What are your pillows made of?  When is the last time you did a deep clean and vacuumed under the bed? Laundered the curtains or cleaned of a ceiling fan?  I would wonder if there was a hidden mold situation that you didn't know about.  If the scary stuff persists, I would consider calling an inspector to come check out your home for hidden mold.f

I deal with allergies by taking local raw honey daily in my tea, and by drastically reducing the amount of dairy I consume (reduces mucus production drastically).   I have used peppermint oil to help take away that tightness in my lungs as well.  To do that, I put two drops of pure peppermint EO in a mug with a cup of boiling water.  Then I sat at the table and just breathed in the vapors from time to time.  Not constantly, because peppermint is an eye irritant.  But it really helps when that asthma tries to cause things to close up and stay closed. 

We just got a new bed last week, so all bedding is new and we have allergy covers on pillows and mattress etc.  But we do have old carpet and heavy light blocking curtains that I haven't washed.  I have a high grade air filter in our bedroom as well.  

I live in CO so mold in the house would be unlikely as its such a dry climate....but I do have a dust allergy that is tricky)

I will reduce my dairy intake...good reminder.  I tend to eat more dairy during the winter.

I know this is going to sound really hooey, but my sinus/allergy problems improved A LOT after I cut out gluten.  Like you, I lived on Sudafed (the kind you sign for) and Allegra, the occasional Benadryl, plus Tylenol/Aspirin/Caffeine for the daily headaches  I also used Flonase for a couple of years. Anyway, after going GF I was able to stop using all of the above. I do still take Benadryl when I have food reactions and I still drink my daily cup of coffee ;)

I was tested for celiac, but it came back negative, so that's not why it worked.  The thing is, I'm so much more functional w/o the gluten. I've been GF for 5 years. I do still have some sinus issues during peek allergy season, but it's nowhere near as bad as before.

I actually have celiac disease and have been GF for 3 years (I also, statistically improbability notwithstanding) have a wheat allergy.  When I first when GF I noticed huge changes!

I only have a few minutes but something caught my eye about your recent night time attack. Chest tightening, etc.

DS's night time asthma noticeably worsened when we got him a new mattress.

Did I just read that you've gotten a new bed in the last week? ...alarm bells going off... Out-gassing can trigger asthma.

If I misinterpreted, then I have other thoughts re: asthma and allergies and seasonal support, and can share tomorrow, but had to address the mattress asap, just in case. That was a very serious issue for DS.

If you have trouble tonight, use your rescue inhaler, and maybe move to the couch.

Fingers crossed it's not your mattress...

• Like 1

Cleaning products. I don't have asthma, but my mom does and they can be triggers. I am sensitive to VOCs. I use powdered oxygen pleach, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and soap and water, scent free ivory dishwashing soap. You should not be using any spray products, except spray hydrogen peroxide. You can wash mirrors and windows with water and a paper towel. A friend with asthma has problems with bleach, even plain liquid form.

• Like 1

From what you described with shortness of breath for several hours despite using inhaler twice, I honestly think you need to see a doctor and that home remedies will not be enough. It seems like you may benefit from a steroid inhaler like Flovent or maybe even advair. These are expensive but often doctors have samples and often the drug company has coupons. Then there is goodrx which seems helpful. I also think that the episode with shortness of breath lasting several hours that you should have gone to the hospital.

I agree with about the concern over the mattress. Get rid of the carpet if you can. Always use a N95 respirator mask if doing cleaning with sprays or dust is involved. better if someone else can do the dirty jobs. Keep a food diary to see if there is any association between attacks and food. Food allergic reactions can happen up to 2 hours later.

Do you have a peak flow meter? If not you should get one from doctor and do it daily and with symptoms and know you numbers and alert numbers.

Also, what inhaler are you using? Albuterol? You can generally take 2 to 4 puffs at a time but ask your doctor. You should also use a spacer with the inhaler and make sure you have good technique.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I think that you need to see your doctor too.  Your symptoms are too severe for home management and they can be dangerous.  I also agree that you may need an inhaled steroid to open you up to allow your breathing to improve.  My doctor would probably put me on oral prednisone for a brief period and give me an inhaled steroid or other medication to try to prevent symptoms.  Inhaled steroids are no longer enough for me so I am now taking Xolair.  It is shots taken every 2 or 4 weeks.  It is a total pain, but it has really improved my quality of life.  If you have another episode that your rescue inhaler doesn't help, you really need to go to the doctor or hospital.

I hope you can find something that works for you.  Asthma can be really frustrating.

Suzanne

• Like 1

Have you had thorough allergy testing? If not, you should likely get it as soon as feasible. Once you ID exactly what your allergies are, your allergist can help you come up with a good plan for treatment.

FWIW, I, too, have allergies and asthma. I am mostly allergic to dogs and cats and some indoor dust type thing. We have loads of pets. When I was diagnosed, my DR told me to ban the pets from my bedroom and to get a HEPA filter for my bedroom. Of course, I did that. At my recheck a few months later, he seemed SHOCKED that I followed his advice as apparently the vast majority of patients refuse to do those simple things. He recounted visiting a patient in the hospital who was on Oxygen due to her terrible asthma attack and yet was STILL refusing to banish her pets from her bedroom. 

Anyway, next step was removing all carpeting from our house. We no longer have any carpeting in the house except one oriental rug in the music room where pets are not allowed anyway. Every inch was removed. All of us with allergies feel much better.

After renovations and carpet removal were complete, I've been able to reduce from twice a day Advair to once a day . . .

My DR also told me that Flonase (now available OTC) daily (2 sprays in each nostril once a day) was even more effective (and important) than oral antihistamines.

So, if I were you, I'd add Flonase to your protocol, make sure you are doing the "hygiene" issues like banning pets from sleeping quarters and running a HEPA filter, and then of course consult with an allergist as soon as you possibly can.

Asthma kills. It's not something to mess around with.

Be sure you have your Albuterol  "rescue" inhaler handy. 

• Like 1

I only have a few minutes but something caught my eye about your recent night time attack. Chest tightening, etc.

DS's night time asthma noticeably worsened when we got him a new mattress.

Did I just read that you've gotten a new bed in the last week? ...alarm bells going off... Out-gassing can trigger asthma.

If I misinterpreted, then I have other thoughts re: asthma and allergies and seasonal support, and can share tomorrow, but had to address the mattress asap, just in case. That was a very serious issue for DS.

If you have trouble tonight, use your rescue inhaler, and maybe move to the couch.

Fingers crossed it's not your mattress...

Yes, new mattress last week.  Its an innerspring with a thin layer of foam and I didn't have immediate reactions.  Hmmm....  and since I haven't been feeling well I've spent the last 2 days mostly in bed, primarily because we have a really good air filter in our room.  Hmmm...

How long have you been taking Allegra regularly? Your body can get used to it such that it doesn't work for you anymore.

I had to switch to Zyrtec a few years ago bc of this.

I switched to Allegra 18 months ago, after 10 years on Zyrtec.  I just added Benadryl a few weeks ago because I was having more rash, wheezing responses. 

From what you described with shortness of breath for several hours despite using inhaler twice, I honestly think you need to see a doctor and that home remedies will not be enough. It seems like you may benefit from a steroid inhaler like Flovent or maybe even advair. These are expensive but often doctors have samples and often the drug company has coupons. Then there is goodrx which seems helpful. I also think that the episode with shortness of breath lasting several hours that you should have gone to the hospital.

I agree with about the concern over the mattress. Get rid of the carpet if you can. Always use a N95 respirator mask if doing cleaning with sprays or dust is involved. better if someone else can do the dirty jobs. Keep a food diary to see if there is any association between attacks and food. Food allergic reactions can happen up to 2 hours later.

Do you have a peak flow meter? If not you should get one from doctor and do it daily and with symptoms and know you numbers and alert numbers.

Also, what inhaler are you using? Albuterol? You can generally take 2 to 4 puffs at a time but ask your doctor. You should also use a spacer with the inhaler and make sure you have good technique.

:grouphug:

Wow- really?   I've always had very mild exercise induced asthma, so this allergic asthma is pretty foreign to me and I think I do need to see my Doctor about a 'plan'. It was scary the other night and DH & I talked about it- I said I'm pretty sure most people would ahve gone to the ER...but I tend to be a minimizer because I have so many health issues.   

Yes, its an Albuterol inhaler, which I just noticed is expired.  Sigh.  I promise I take care of myself....this is all at a new level of severity though.

Have you had thorough allergy testing? If not, you should likely get it as soon as feasible. Once you ID exactly what your allergies are, your allergist can help you come up with a good plan for treatment.

FWIW, I, too, have allergies and asthma. I am mostly allergic to dogs and cats and some indoor dust type thing. We have loads of pets. When I was diagnosed, my DR told me to ban the pets from my bedroom and to get a HEPA filter for my bedroom. Of course, I did that. At my recheck a few months later, he seemed SHOCKED that I followed his advice as apparently the vast majority of patients refuse to do those simple things. He recounted visiting a patient in the hospital who was on Oxygen due to her terrible asthma attack and yet was STILL refusing to banish her pets from her bedroom. 

Anyway, next step was removing all carpeting from our house. We no longer have any carpeting in the house except one oriental rug in the music room where pets are not allowed anyway. Every inch was removed. All of us with allergies feel much better.

After renovations and carpet removal were complete, I've been able to reduce from twice a day Advair to once a day . . .

My DR also told me that Flonase (now available OTC) daily (2 sprays in each nostril once a day) was even more effective (and important) than oral antihistamines.

So, if I were you, I'd add Flonase to your protocol, make sure you are doing the "hygiene" issues like banning pets from sleeping quarters and running a HEPA filter, and then of course consult with an allergist as soon as you possibly can.

Asthma kills. It's not something to mess around with.

Be sure you have your Albuterol  "rescue" inhaler handy. 

Yes, I've had allergy testing but not in the last 10 years or in regards to the new area we live in.  I know dust, mold, pine, weeds, grasses, etc...but no pet issues. 

I've alway viewed dealing with multiple allergies as a glass of water....I can hold so much but soon there is a tipping point and it cascades.  Its hard to pinpoint which is the most severe with multiple allergies, but as I said I've been 'escalating' in my allergic responses for the last 6 months.  I now realize that I am having asthma allergy responses, which is new to me and frankly I tried to ignore.  

THANK YOU all so much for the input and support.  Honestly, its such a tremendous blessing to have access to intelligent, informed and proactive people!!!!

• Like 1

I agree with putting a plan together.  I take Pulmicort respules via nebulizer twice a day.  This also covers my sinus issues when they are mild by breathing out my nose.  This has been a really screwy year, the ground hasn't stayed frozen, and mold counts are extremely high so I've had to add Nasonex in the am.  Flonase wasn't enough, and Nasonex was a step up.  You do really need to get a peak flow meter and monitor your levels.  Sometimes my sinuses act up more, and I feel like I'm short of breath, but my peak flows will reassure me that it's not my lungs.  Other times, my lungs feel fine, but my numbers are creeping down on a regular basis and we need to reevaluate the house and my exposures.  When I cascade I do so in royal fashion, so it helps to pay attention and be proactive.  Daily proactive nebulizer steroid use has significantly changed my quality of life and cut back on the volume of medications I used to take.

Yes, new mattress last week.  Its an innerspring with a thin layer of foam and I didn't have immediate reactions.  Hmmm....  and since I haven't been feeling well I've spent the last 2 days mostly in bed, primarily because we have a really good air filter in our room.  Hmmm...

I would move to the couch temporarily.  As much of a pain as it will be, also take all the bedding off during the day for it to off-gas.  Turn on fans, open windows, and give it a good week in the open.  Maybe that will help you out.

I know this isn't the answer that you want to hear, but I would run--not walk--to the doctor to add a steroid inhaler to your rescue inhaler. Asthma that isn't responding to treatment frequently translates into more medications needed, more doctor visits, and symptoms worsening and/or lasting longer. 

I tired minimizing triggers, less meds, etc while I was pregnant and nursing. It took a year to bring me back to baseline, and it was very inconvenient and expensive. 

• Like 4

I went to a walk in clinic today and she prescribed a new rescue inhaler (my old one was expired) but wasn't comfortable prescribing anything more, as she felt I needed to have a baseline workup. I was stable and not wheezing (pulse ox was 95 and wheezing on forced exhale) so I felt very comfortable. She strongly recommended follow up with PCP asap.

I have an appointment scheduled for 3/8 and a new rescue inhaler.... And if I find myself unable to stabilize more quickly if there's another episode, I will go to the ER

• Like 3

I went to a walk in clinic today and she prescribed a new rescue inhaler (my old one was expired) but wasn't comfortable prescribing anything more, as she felt I needed to have a baseline workup. I was stable and not wheezing (pulse ox was 95 and wheezing on forced exhale) so I felt very comfortable. She strongly recommended follow up with PCP asap.

I have an appointment scheduled for 3/8 and a new rescue inhaler.... And if I find myself unable to stabilize more quickly if there's another episode, I will go to the ER

Before you go to the ER it might be prudent to call your PCP and let them know that you're unstable (if it's during the day).  Mine will often see me in the office that day if I'm in trouble in order to avoid an ER visit.

• Like 1