Menu

BASIS schools in Arizona

I am crossposting this question on the after schooling board too.

We have always thought Basis would be a great gift for my highly gifted (especially in math) son.  We have finally hit the age where he can enroll and are now having second doubts. 

Does anyone have experience with this school?  He'd be in 4th grade next school year.  Everything we have been told on the tours and info days sounded great, but what he experienced at shadow day this week left us underwhelmed.  I have also read some negative reviews of things that seem could be likely true. 

Thank you for info you could share with us, good or bad.

Edited by HeatherL

I know a fair number of parents who sent their smart children there.  Most have moved on after a few years. It is a very challenging environment and in general your child will have to be:

1)  highly gifted

OR

2) reasonably gifted and also a grinder

============================================

Personally I am unimpressed with their Math program. They use Saxon (which is not advanced) and plow through it at break-neck speed.

See 

https://www.artofproblemsolving.com/articles/calculus-trap

I also worry that the students will flame out before reaching college.

=============================================

One thing that is nice it does not cost anything to try it for a year to see if it is a fit.

There are lots of charters to consider depending on where you live.

We know twins who are graduating from a BASIS school this year. They are very burned out. They are good and kind. But their dad reports they don't go out with friends. They don't go to youth group. All their time is spent studying and have only one or two intense hobbies.

Their mother says she regrets that they had no childhood for the past 6 years they attended BASIS. Her exact words were "I really wonder if we should have not sent them to their school. They are always busy studying. They missed the end of their childhood."

But at the same time they had very certainly done well getting scholarship offers from many private colleges and accepted to some UCs.

So it's just a matter of what you want. BASIS does not value individuality, in any way. Their one and only goal is to churn out high test scores , and start taking and passing AP EXAMS as early as 6th grade. They do not value arts or athletics. It's 100% about pushing "achievement."

I think some gifted kids would like that kind of atmosphere and some would not. Some parents are very concerned about scholarships and this is an almost guaranteed path to that end if your child can stick it out. The kids I speak of are graduating with The maximum number of AP classes and passing scores. I think it's like 13 for one and 10 for the other.

Edited by Calming Tea