Menu

Any reviews of Notgrass From Adam to US?

j_thurm

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the pre-order at the discounted price with free shipping. We are going to be using Uncle Sam and You this up coming year (6th grade) because my daughter is very interested in the debates and anything election related. I'm planning on using From Adam to You for 7th grade so I figured at this price I'd buy it now. 

We did several chapters in the e-book and dd loves it! For now I have set it aside and we are going to pick back up when we get the print version - can't wait!!

Edited by Guest

• 10 months later...

Bumping this back up to see if anyone has anything new to say about it?  My son will be entering 6th next year and a local lady who teaches various middle school classes in her home will be offering it.  

If you have used this, what's your take on the creationist POV?  Is it heavy?  I would prefer something more secularish, but I love this teacher and I know she would make any topic fun to learn.  Cathy Duffy's review implied that the creationist/biblical history in the beginning of the text doesn't last long and that it branches quickly out to other areas of ancient history.

Thanks!

Bumping this back up to see if anyone has anything new to say about it? My son will be entering 6th next year and a local lady who teaches various middle school classes in her home will be offering it.

If you have used this, what's your take on the creationist POV? Is it heavy? I would prefer something more secularish, but I love this teacher and I know she would make any topic fun to learn. Cathy Duffy's review implied that the creationist/biblical history in the beginning of the text doesn't last long and that it branches quickly out to other areas of ancient history.

Thanks!

I wouldn't say it's Creatinionist heavy, but it is definitely Christian. We love it! The pictures are amazing. They are better than any I have seen in a textbook. The book itself is large and there are full page spreads of flora and fauna of various places, ancient ruins... it really is extraordinary. And we study things that I've never really studied before - Kingdom of Aksum, Iceland, the Silk Road, the Hanseatic League.... today we read about the Forbidden City in China. I decided I really want to live in the Palace of Earthly Tranquility. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

We're using it this year for sixth grade, and my son absolutely loves it. I have mixed feelings about it. The first unit is very much YEC but at least they don't give specific dates. The second unit contains two lessons about the Flood and the tower of Babel. Since I view the flood story quite differently from the authors, I had to take some time to explain what I think and why I think it and what backs me up in both science and scripture. It moves to Egypt starting in lesson 7, so it's not too bad. Every lesson ends with a verse of scripture and a paragraph attempting to bring in a spiritual lesson. Sometimes they're well tied in, other times they feel like a huge stretch to me.

All that said, if you're like me and you're Christian but just don't usually care for overly Christian material, this could work well for you, especially if it's with a group of kids and a teacher your son really likes. There's all kinds of interesting history I never learned, and I'm a history buff. It really does a great job of covering what was happening during the time period of each unit in several parts of the world. It doesn't just focus on Europe and the near east like some texts do.

I'm also impressed with the fair treatment it's given so far to Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christians. Yes, the authors point out some things they think are wrong, but they also talk about members of those churches as believers, which is more than some protestant texts I've seen do. Some protestant texts seem to think true believers almost disappeared starting sometime in the second century and didn't reemerge until the reformation.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 1:10 PM, Caglehs said:

If you use all 3 curriculum across 5th 6th and 7th. AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL UNCLE SAM AND THEN ADAM TO US,  What would you use for 4th year middle school?

There is a World Geography year planned, but no date on its release yet. I'm not sure what we will do yet. I love FA2U but haven't tried the others yet. 

There are so many components to choose from that I can't imagine it would need supplementation. (More likely, you'll have to cut it down.) If you complete it all in one year, there is more than enough to keep a student busy (and then some), IMO.

Having said that, what kind of supplementation were you thinking? There is already mapwork, a timeline, literature options, primary sources, short answer questions, writing assignments, vocabulary, Bible work, puzzles/games, family activities, etc. written into it.

ETA: And, an audiobook option too!

On 7/9/2019 at 7:17 AM, Jess4879 said:

Can this work for an 8th grader?  Does it need supplementing?

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

There are so many components to choose from that I can't imagine it would need supplementation. (More likely, you'll have to cut it down.) If you complete it all in one year, there is more than enough to keep a student busy (and then some), IMO.

Having said that, what kind of supplementation were you thinking? There is already mapwork, a timeline, literature options, primary sources, short answer questions, writing assignments, vocabulary, Bible work, puzzles/games, family activities, etc. written into it.

ETA: And, an audiobook option too!

Sorry, my post was very vague!  I was curious if it would be meaty enough for an 8th grader without adding in all of the literature elements?  We have a literature program already and would probably only get to a couple of the history selections.