Menu

What are you reading aloud to your 1st-2nd grader?

lilajoy

Currently Treasure Island (the classic starts version). My husband is reading him Harry Potter. In the car we've listened to all of the Lighting Thief series.

We've also done Ramona and Beezus series. I know there's been more but I don't remember them.

Barefoot Books makes amazing multicultural story collections, which we love, that allow me to incorporate a little geography/culture/history after each story. We've read some of the Narnia series, which she enjoyed even though she obviously didn't understand the nuances.

Also, anything by Kate DiCamillo is wonderful. This is a great age for Just So Stories, and we've read much of Roald Dahl over the past year. I see someone mentioned Grace Lin above, Where the River Meets the Moon was one of our favorites! We're currently reading The House Above the Trees, by Ethel Cook Eliot, and it's so gentle and magical...

I just started the Bearentstein Bears Big Book of Science & Nature with my 6yo. We are finishing up Viking Adventure for our history book (and moving onto The Apple & the Arrow).  We'll be starting Amon's Adventure for our next family read aloud.

Some of our early favorites from the past are E.B. White, Little House, All of a Kind Family, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and James Herriot's Treasury for Children.  

We just finished the Melendy series by Elizabeth Enright on audio. Such a delight. I'm reading aloud The Burgess Bird Book in morning and I find it slightly dry, but they LOVE it. My husband is reading The Wizard of Oz at bedtime. And they just finished The Search for Delicious for the second time, because it is SO good. At Grandma's house, they've been reading the Penderwicks series and Treasures of the Snow. My 8yo is very into the Swallows and Amazons series on audio during quiet time and my 6yo is loving Mary Poppins.

• Like 1

We just finished a cute book - Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat.  Was enjoyed by all.  I can't remember where I saw it mentioned.  They are also loving Harry Potter, Roald Dahl, Ramona books about a year ago. 

The illustrator of that book was homeschooled and wrote a cute little book loosely based on his experience. 

We are finishing The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe, which is being thoroughly enjoyed. We are also about halfway through Nuts to You, but my little kiddos are not loving it, so we may bail. Others we've enjoyed recently:

The Enchanted Tree by Enid Blyton

Apple Blossom, the Possum

The Family Under the Bridge

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain 

any and all Beverly Cleary (we are so excited for her upcoming 100th birthday in April!)

The Twenty-One Balloons

Most recently, Peter Pan and The Hobbit.

I'm not sure how old your child is, Jackie, but wondering what you thought about Peter Pan. We just finished it, mainly because we have tickets for a play and I wanted to combine that. I found the writing surprisingly difficult to untangle - the narrator's sarcasm and phrasing made it hard for my 6 yo to comprehend and I had to explain many passages. Also, it left my son and his 3 yo brother occasionally exclaiming Tink's line, "you silly a@@!" They thought this was hysterical. If I had pre-read it and didn't have the play tickets, I don't think I would recommend it for this age group.

I'm not sure how old your child is, Jackie, but wondering what you thought about Peter Pan. We just finished it, mainly because we have tickets for a play and I wanted to combine that. I found the writing surprisingly difficult to untangle - the narrator's sarcasm and phrasing made it hard for my 6 yo to comprehend and I had to explain many passages. Also, it left my son and his 3 yo brother occasionally exclaiming Tink's line, "you silly a@@!" They thought this was hysterical. If I had pre-read it and didn't have the play tickets, I don't think I would recommend it for this age group.

For this reason I saved this as a read aloud for 4th grade. It would have been too much for my younger kids.

My girl is only 5, but language is an especial strength of hers. Peter Pan didn't end up being a favorite, but she enjoyed it. She spends a lot of time living in her own imaginary worlds, so I think she found the concept of Neverland especially intriguing. For better or worse, she's heard most the cuss words from my own mouth, knows they fall in a category of "rude words kids shouldn't use", and lets it be, so Tink's phrasing wasn't a big deal. I think my DH was more upset with Tink because he only knew the Disney version ;-)

I'm working through the Memoria Press First Grade Enrichment list. Most of them are easily read in one sitting, so on other days he listens in on various science books or books he chose from the library. We aren't currently working through a chapter book, but will add one soon to the mix; most likely The Wizard of Oz on audio.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (she is captivated, all three listen in complete silence in the car)

The Green Ember ( liking it)

The one and only Ivan (likes it)

We just finished Mr. Poppers Penguins. All three kids liked it.

Peter Pan read by Jim Dale is amazing. One of my all time favorite audiobooks.

• Like 1

My older girls are 7 and 5.

We've recently read or listened to on audio.... Charlotte's Web, The Trumpet of the Swan, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, several fairy tales from The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang, Milly Molly Mandy, Little House in the Big Woods, Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, James Heriot's Treasury for Children, My Father's Dragon. Currently listening to Matilda on audio book (read by Kate Winslet, highly recommended!!) ... Tried to get through Stuart Little and Mr. Popper's Penguins, but they were both a bust. Oh, also tried Peter Pan but I think they just aren't old enough yet, though I was enjoying it on audiobook. :)

Edited by calihil

For first grade we did Little House in the Big Woods, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little (audio), Ramona Quimby Age 8, Sarah, Plain and Tall, and lots of picture books.

Second grade has been Because of Winn Dixie (audio, loved it), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, One and Only Ivan, Matilda ( I wish I had known about the Kate Winslet audio but we liked it and hope to see it on Broadway),  Dear America Series: I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly; The Diary of Patsy a Freed Girl.  We started Alice's Adventures in Wonderland read by Jim Dale who's great but that is on pause for now.  Just started James and the Giant Peach and we continue to read picture books with DD2 in pre k.

Next up on the list is

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Bud, Not Buddy

One Crazy Summer 

Flora and Ulysses

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library

The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe

All of a Kind Family