Menu

Pairing Math Curriculums

AggieMama

I am currently using Saxon Math 1 and Singapore 1A for my DD math with a splash of Miquon. At PS she used enVisions math. I'm beginning to plan for summer/next school year and am interested to see whether anyone has suggestions as to whether I should continue with Saxon or switch to Rod and Staff and the reasoning behind it the recommendation. DD is in kinder at PS.

Is there something about that marriage of programs that isn't working for you? Why would anyone here recommend that you switch from something that is, presumably, working? The general consensus is do not switch for the sake of switching. And do not over do it.

Your daughter is currently using 4 math programs and she is only in kindergarten: Saxon, Primary Mathematics, Miquon and enVision.

Which components of Singapore 1A are you using? Are you using Saxon 1 as written or heavily modifying it? What function does Miquon serve?

What are these programs giving her that she's not getting in school with her teacher enVision Math?

If you made any changes, I'd say to drop one of your programs, not switch out one of the three extras for another.

• 4 weeks later...

Only thing that strikes me is that Saxon K-3 is a long program to do.  Not sure you need that, plus Singapore, plus MIquon.

Why go to Rod & Staff? What draws you to it?  Is it a desire for a Christian math curriculum?  If so, Horizons has a very good reputation (but you don't need it plus Saxon plus Singapore plus Miquon.) 

You have three good math curricula that you are using right now.  If it were me, I'd drop one.  Then in third grade, perhaps add in Beast Academy.

I think I have a new game plan. After reviewing the curriculum for Saxon 2 and Saxon 3, it seems as though Saxon 2 is a lot of review. I'm going review some skill gaps that DD will have if we skip Saxon 2 with MM Blue this summer and start with Saxon 3 in the fall. We finished Singapore 1a in about a month. We're about to start Singapore 1b this week. We're going to use Miquon as something just to play with once in a while.

• 1 year later...

I don't have any suggestions, but am encouraged to hear that you have been successfully combing Saxon and Singapore (and others).  My children will be attending a university model schedule school that uses Abeka Math through 3rd grade and Saxon Math for 4th grade +.  I am not a big Saxon fan, so we are planning to also continue using Singapore Math to provide a well-rounded math foundation.  (DD1 was already using Singapore at her prior full-time classical kindergarten.)

A friend of mine expressed concern that using both Saxon and Singapore will confuse my children.  (She didn't seem concerned with combining Abeka and Singapore in the early grades.) To me, a strong math student should be able to solve problems from multiple sources, not just one familiar curriculum.  

Has your DD experienced confusion from using multiple curriculums?

• 3 weeks later...