Menu

Winston Grammar - what to buy?

Jess4879

All you need is the Basic set with maybe an extra student workbook. I am using WG right now with my 2 dc without the need for the extra cards. As for the Supplement book most just use the Basic set. IMO the Supplement WB is not really needed because each new lesson continues with previously learned concepts. I have the Supplement WB and only have used it a few times.

• Like 1

I am starting Winston Grammar next year with 2 kids.  We are starting with the basic level.  Do I need a extra student pack?  Or can I make it work with just one set?  And do I need the supplementary book and key? 

If you want them to each "build" their own sentences, then you might want an extra set of cards.  In the beginning there will be enough cards in just one pack for both of them.  But as the sentences progress you may run out of cards if you have 1 set.  But you could solve that problem by them taking turns building the sentences.  So, I guess it's up to you.  They definitely will need their own workbook.

I use the supplemental workbook every other day.  There are not many sentences per lesson in the basic workbook and I don't think it gives enough practice...but that's jmo.  My daughter does one entire lesson in the basic workbook one day and the next day does the entire lesson in the supplemental workbook.   

ETA : I said we do an entire lesson a day, I should correct that...we did an entire "worksheet" per day.  A worksheet has numbered sentences, with only a few sentences per lesson.  A worksheet is basically the entire weeks worth of lessons.  We could easily do the entire worksheet in one day.  That's why I also used the supplemental workbook.  

Edited by BatmansWife
  • Like 1

I bit the bullet and just ordered everything.  I figured I'd better be safe than sorry and I didn't want to get the order and then realize I needed extra items and have to pay shipping for a second order. 

I hope you all enjoy it!

I wanted to mention that I don't have my daughter "build" with the cards for each and every sentence.  She'll do the first sentence of the lesson with the cards.  If she has no problems and gets it, then she'll just mark the rest of the sentences in pencil without using the cards.  Then when she's done I have her pick out a couple of her favorite sentences to build for me.  Maybe this is why I feel we have no problems going through an entire lesson in one sitting, which is why I feel we need the supplemental workbook.  

• Like 2

I hope you all enjoy it!

I wanted to mention that I don't have my daughter "build" with the cards for each and every sentence.  She'll do the first sentence of the lesson with the cards.  If she has no problems and gets it, then she'll just mark the rest of the sentences in pencil without using the cards.  Then when she's done I have her pick out a couple of her favorite sentences to build for me.  Maybe this is why I feel we have no problems going through an entire lesson in one sitting, which is why I feel we need the supplemental workbook.  

I'm excited to try it.  We were using Fix It! this year, but it wasn't a great fit. 

I think the cards are going to be really good for my oldest, but I can definitely see my middle kiddo not needing them as much. 

• Like 1

I'm excited to try it.  We were using Fix It! this year, but it wasn't a great fit. 

I think the cards are going to be really good for my oldest, but I can definitely see my middle kiddo not needing them as much. 

I'm actually using it with Fix It.  Awhile back I did a blog post about Fix It and using the Winston Grammar cards with it.  We still like Fix It, but it does seem a bit light.  So this year I'm using it along with Winston.  Working well so far.  

• Like 1

I'm actually using it with Fix It.  Awhile back I did a blog post about Fix It and using the Winston Grammar cards with it.  We still like Fix It, but it does seem a bit light.  So this year I'm using it along with Winston.  Working well so far.  

I might have to give that a go.  At least that way I won't feel so bad about spending money on yet another book that sits collecting dust!  lol

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but am considering buying either or both of these grammar programs for my DD11.

I read your blog post, very informative, think I really want Fix It! now lol

Just wondering though, would you mind explaining how you use both of these programs together?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread, but am considering buying either or both of these grammar programs for my DD11.

I read your blog post, very informative, think I really want Fix It! now lol

Just wondering though, would you mind explaining how you use both of these programs together?

Thanks

It's nothing earth shattering  :lol: .  Basically one day Winston, 1 day Fix It...or however we wanted to do it that week.  Usually it turned into 2 days of Winston...1 day the entire worksheet of Winston (a worksheet has the sentences for an entire week) and another day the entire worksheet of the Winston supplemental workbook, with 2 or 3 days of Fix It. It's been a crazy year for me, so we haven't been overly consistent.  This coming year I plan on sticking with Fix it and doing a little Easy Grammar along with it (maybe 1 page from each every day, not sure yet).  Not that you need something in addition to Fix It...I just like it that way.  

ETA: And of course, as I showed on my blog post, we used the Winston cards with the Fix It sentences on the magnetic board (this was in place of just writing above each word N, V, etc).  You don't have to do that (and it's a little more work to make the WG cards magnetic).  And, also in regards to the WG cards, we didn't use them for every single WG sentence...just the first one, and then she got to pick a couple on the worksheet to use the cards with (for her to show me that she was getting it).  Hope this isn't confusing.  

Edited by BatmansWife

It's nothing earth shattering  :lol: .  Basically one day Winston, 1 day Fix It...or however we wanted to do it that week.  Usually it turned into 2 days of Winston...1 day the entire worksheet of Winston (a worksheet has the sentences for an entire week) and another day the entire worksheet of the Winston supplemental workbook, with 2 or 3 days of Fix It. It's been a crazy year for me, so we haven't been overly consistent.  This coming year I plan on sticking with Fix it and doing a little Easy Grammar along with it (maybe 1 page from each every day, not sure yet).  Not that you need something in addition to Fix It...I just like it that way.  

ETA: And of course, as I showed on my blog post, we used the Winston cards with the Fix It sentences on the magnetic board (this was in place of just writing above each word N, V, etc).  You don't have to do that (and it's a little more work to make the WG cards magnetic).  And, also in regards to the WG cards, we didn't use them for every single WG sentence...just the first one, and then she got to pick a couple on the worksheet to use the cards with (for her to show me that she was getting it).  Hope this isn't confusing.  

That is excellent! Thanks so much :) Winston grammar arrived in the mail yesterday, and Fix It! in the mail today, so great timing ;) Your reply is very helpful.

• Like 1