Menu

Rod and Staff Spelling Question

nena3927

My ds will be 8 and in third grade when we start our new school year in July. He has completed workbook A of Spelling You See Jack and Jill but aside from that, he has had no formal spelling. Could he start R&S Spelling on grade level or should I start him back at level 2? Thank you!

I'm not sure if he's an average speller or not. He can phonically spell several words but asks me frequently how to spell things in his writing. I'm actually not sure what would be considered "normal" for his age.

Well, I meant average across the board, not particularly spelling. Pull up the 3 samples, completely ignore the word lists, and really look at those exercises. If those are within his range, jump right in.

I keep reading to ignore the word lists. Why is that? What is Practical Spelling? Is that like Rod and Staff, but more secular? I like the idea of the Rod and Staff spelling, but prefer something religious.

The word lists can seem light or easy compared to other spelling curricula, and it's a poor gauge for placement. The strength of the program is in the exercises themselves; these books aren't about memorizing an arbitrary list of words.  If placed ahead because of the lists a kid could easily find exercises too challenging. 

• Like 1