Menu

Looking for basic art program w/o appreciation/history

scrapper4life

I already have a plan I like for art appreciation but I can't seem to settle on the hands on visual part. All the programs I find are good, but full of more than I want. I don't want to spend money for something and not use half of it. Anything simple out there that just teaches basic terms/concepts while providing fun projects for a kindergartener? BTW I just need a plan for K because he can join several local classes once he is in first grade.

Home Art Studio is awesome and really, I would ignore the grade levels.  I have older kids who love the kindy level and younger kids who love the 5th grade level.  

This is great to know!!  I have looked at it but the grade levels always mess me up.  I have a PreK, 1st and 3rd (next year).  We've never done a lot of work, but my 3rd loves LOVES art.  She takes a painting class and does art at co-op, but I need to do more here at home.  So with those ages, what do you think?  1st or 2nd?  I don't want it to be too hard for my PreK, but could he sort of participate or "help"?  

Thanks!!

We like Home Art Studio. We are almost finished with the K DVD. My DC ages 5, 7, and 10 all enjoy it! My 10 yo could use more explicit 'how to draw' lessons so I'll be looking for something to add for him. They really produce some nice art with this program!

• Like 1

For free eBooks here are some good ones.

NEW Augsburg Drawing books 1, 2, and 3. Scroll to the ends and find the Crayon "Paintings". We have debated here about what "crayon" meant, but these exercises work with softer wax crayons, plastic crayons, pastels, chalk, and colored pencils.

OLD Augburg Drawing Book 1 for grades 1-3. Instructions for ink and watercolor painting. Also look at the NEW Augsburg book 4 for similar instructions. The new version has books for each individual grade and uses crayons for grades 1-3 and bumps watercolors to grade 4.

Hugo Froelich Textbooks of Art Education. Wonderful ideas for super easy watercolor paintings and nice craft ideas. There are no instructions for the watercolors. I don't know if I have missed a teacher manual, but the above instructions in Augsburg help a lot.

What and How by Anna Wilson Henderson. More little craft ideas.

Blackboard Drawing and Blackboard Sketching by Frederick Whitney. Just the first few plates. Learn how to hold chalk and to do the easiest strokes. This can also be applied to crayon and pastel.

E.G. Lutz. What to Draw and How to Draw it. As the child gets older, there is Drawing Made Easy and Practical Drawing. Most of this is too hard for K and better for grade 1 and above.

Prang Primary Course in Art Instruction. Molding of 3D shapes. Sphere, cube, ect.

Willie's First Drawing Book. Introduces straight lines, curved lines, and angles in story form.

Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntyre. The 1965 version is online for free in pdf by a private hoster. I believe that it is legal. I will try to post a link later, but it does come up if you google "drawing textbook pdf 1965". Prang molding and Willie's Drawing should be completed first. I don't use the first 12 drawings until 2nd grade level.

These books are way too hard for K, but I'm going to list a few more excellent titles for people reading this thread, that complete what was started above.

Alon Bement's Figure Construction republished by Dover as Energetic Line. Contains nudity, but is as tasteful as possible. This book was developed during WW1 because of a lack of live models and is a fantastic substitute. Many of the pictures are statues.

Chapman's Elementary Drawing. Shows the head as is likely to found in statues. Great complement to above.

E.G. Lutz Practical Drawing. Excellent general book and again uses classical statue features for head drawing.

Drawing for Beginners by Dorothy Furniss. A chatty book to read more than for exercises.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

For K level this is MY focus. I like to just scribble a tangle, like those you see to start a zentangle, and have the student work on coloring inside the lines.

Prang molding 3D shapes.

Paper dolls from makingfriends.com. Especially the Bible paper dolls to go along with Hurlbut's Bible stories

If the student is ready, Willie's Drawing Book, drawing lines, and drawing simple shapes like squares and circles. But this can wait to be grade 1 focus after focusing on the above, if my goal is to start Drawing Textbook in grade 2.

If a student is aware of higher level students working on Zentangles, the Lilah Beans can be started and supplemented with Ed Emberley's Thumbprint book. The Thumbprint book is included in the Funprint book that also includes the fingerprint book. I prefer to use the books separately.

Personally I think the crayon paintings are best left until grade 2. And not to be rushed through. Crayons are a wonderful and readily available media that isn't properly appreciated. We usually use plastic crayons like Crayola Twistables and the Appeal crayons or whatever it is they are called. Beeswax make pretty pictures, but are messy. The softer and more blendable the crayon, the messier on student and smearing on paper.

Edited by Hunter

It can be really hard not to overschedule. I have to make multiyear schedules to prove to myself I have time to put some topics off for another year.

I pulled out some old notes and stuff I am working on right now, of trying to decide which topics can wait.

I have written down to focus on toymaking for K, to go along with literature selections on Winnie the Pooh, Raggedy Anne, and Velveteen Rabbit. some of the books above have folded-paper doll furniture. Handkerchief dolls and collected things from outside, I learned from Waldorf.

And maybe more science than art, but I like to focus on regrowing kitchen scraps like carrot tops, potato eyes, and avocado seeds.

I think K students really need to still be in the kitchen focusing on Waldorf/rhythm. More molding with bread dough and making artesian breads. Holidays foods are often art. Weekly rhythm and sabbath or whatever you celebrate. Setting and decorating the table.

Then I want to save the weaving and card making for grade 1. And the book making and braiding and braided bookmarks for grade 2, when I have Daniel Webster and Gabriel of the Hour scheduled, and a little about the history of the first writing and first books. I might do things differently if my reading list were different.

Some vintage methods of child development like to have the child go through the stages that man went through as he transitioned from "savage" to "civilized". Some art and history and even math book series will take a child through those stages.

And if you are reading throught the Bible, even that might line up a bit with this idea even if your official history doesn't.

So if you did Genesis for Grade 1, you might be doing early man type handcrafts. And if hitting Exodus for Grade 2, might be moving on to more advanced things like writing and bookmaking.

Sorry for the choppy posts. I'm on a cell phone, and I'm struggling to organize a lot of thoughts, ideas, and resources.

I think I managed to grab the link for the 1965 version of Drawing Textbook, with just my phone. Yes, this website is safe. I've been downloading and linking others to the book for years. http://dreamsteep.com/downloads/ebooks/124-audio-visual-drawing-program-drawing-textbook.html?path=ebooks

This is my core book, and everything else I plan is planned around it. It was out of print for a bit, but was just republished. I got my two most recent copies from the publisher, a couple weeks ago. Hopefully it is back at Rainbow by now.

I adore this little pamphlet, and have been using it for almost 20 years now, I think.

Edited by Hunter