Menu

Life of Fred Pre-Algebra question

We're finishing up LOF fraction and decimals this year. We love Fred here! Are all 3 Pre-Algebra books necessary for a well rounded course? Can you even finish all 3 in a year? I don't know if I'll supplement with anything else. Maybe Jousting Armadillos. I'm so over traditional math books for this child.

My 2nd DS did the biology one after fractions and decimals/percents. It was only meh. He liked it ok, but not as well as F and D&P. I didn't end up having him do the other 2. The physics one was way confusing and the economics one had too much political commentary for me, at least in a math book. :) I'm very conservative politically, but it was a little much even for me.

If he had done them both as well as the biology one, I think he probably could have finished them all 3 in a year, unless he had a lot of trouble on the bridges and needed several tries to cross.

we did Pre A physics and pre A bilolgy in les than 6 months.  It may have only been 3/4 (?)  We did not do Economics for similar reasons to those stated above.  On starting beginning algebra we did a quick catch up on the "pretty boxes" and then rolled right on. 

As an aside, if what was in economics didn't sit well with you, don't even look at the financial choices one.  I enjoyed reading arts aloud to my husband and watching him twitch though.

We are part way through physics and enjoying it. I do plan to complete bio and economics, probably over 14 or so months, but we are doing other math too (ba5 and human endeavour), which is why it's taking longer. I think we'll probably start jousting afterwards, 2017...

Right now, my daughter is finishing every bridge because she struggles with them. By the 4th or 5th, she seems to get it. Maybe she'll start to get the hang of how these problems work. She's used to teaching textbooks, which doesn't have as much critical thinking.