Menu

Which pre algebra is like Singapore?

grantmeawish

I have been googling and sifting through threads but have yet to find answers! My Ds completed SM through 5a. He is taking Saxon 7/6 through a co op. He is acing all the tests and is bored with Saxon. Saxon induces much eye rolling from him. He loved Singapore. Aops is on the list to consider but while my son is good in math, it's not something he really enjoys. Any ideas?

Thank you! Mastery approach is what I'm looking for

Besides AoPS, you might also consider MM7 (Asian style, mastery), Dolciani's Prealgebra, An Accelerated Course (not because it's "like" Singapore, but because it's solid, straightforward, mastery, and fine prep for algebra), and Russian Math 6.

I feel like I'm forgetting something.... maybe Jousting Armadillos.

I have been googling and sifting through threads but have yet to find answers! My Ds completed SM through 5a. He is taking Saxon 7/6 through a co op. He is acing all the tests and is bored with Saxon. Saxon induces much eye rolling from him. He loved Singapore. Aops is on the list to consider but while my son is good in math, it's not something he really enjoys. Any ideas?

What about finishing the Singapore Math series? After he completes the series, he can go straight in to Algebra.

My son loves SM. I searched and searched for a preA for him. But nothing seemed the same. Finally, we settled on staying with SM. And he actually thanked me profusely when I showed back up at home with 5B. So I guess we will finish the series.

• Like 2

I don't know the answer to your specific question but....if you are considering Pre-Al introductions and whatnot...you might want to try Dragon Box Algebra and Hands-on Equations.  Both are available as apps (Apple and Android) and Hands-on Equations is actually available as a hard version, too.  

Both are pretty neat intros to Algebraic thought.  

• Like 1

I have 2 students who just finished SM 1A-6B, who are now doing Dolciani (Houghton) Pre-Algebra; here is 1 family's take on it.

We knew it would be this way, but some chapters are 100% completely new material, others are so familiar that they're boring, and a good many of them are somewhere in between. I'm not a "math person," though I have a solid, basic math education, and Dolciani is going just fine. We just adjust our pace to the difficulty level. The word problems are ridiculously easy by SM standards.

We like the format quite well and will continue with Algebra: Structure and Method next year.

We also considered AoPS, but ultimately chose Dolciani because (A) I am able to teach it (thus not requiring $$ outsourcing this early), and (B) my 2 students are not really exploratory-type learners.

After some considerable research, though, our family came to the conclusion that there are multiple right answers to the question; a younger student coming up is planning to go all the way through 7 & 8 in SM (different learning style).

$.02