Menu

Typing curriculum?

Mama Geek

We are using KWOT this year and won't be purchasing it again next year.  It does have some issues.  The site is down much too frequently, and one of my boys has figured out how to mash keys is such a way that he can complete the lessons without actually typing.  I dislike that the program only moves forward.  Kids cannot revisit old lessons they may need extra practice with.  Also, IME, kids who are reading above grade level may find the lessons tedious.

I bought Mickey's Typing Adventures off Amazon  (because it had good reviews) and will probably switch my older two over in the next couple of weeks.  Not sure how it's going to work.  If not so well, we will just try something else.

• Like 1

Ds uses KWOT. He has completed levels 2 and 3 and is currently on level 4. He practices daily, and is becoming very good at typing. As a whole, the program has worked very well for us and we are very pleased with the results.

HOWEVER, it is very buggy. They seem to make changes fairly often and break things as a result. Switching from the Mac to an iPad (with external keyboard) solved some of the issues, so ds just does the iPad now and doesn't try the Mac anymore. Although he has completed two levels, he was never shown a certificate or "yay, you finished" page. For level two, it just started randomly giving him old lessons to do again (this is apparently normal -- you can repeat random lessons until your subscription runs out). For level 3 it simply gave him a blank page. It was a big let-down as the completion of a course. It is annoying to pay money for a program that isn't consistent. I feel like I am paying to be a beta tester. But the content itself has worked very well for ds, so I keep paying.

• Like 1