Menu

After OPGTR

MrsWeasley

We're wrapping up OPGTR. We tried AAR, and while I wish we had started it, changing to it wasn't a good fit. The way that OPGTR teaches multi-syllable words hasn't worked well in his other reading. He can read the multi-syllable words in OPGTR because they introduce it broken up, but he has a very hard time breaking up words into their syllables in other reading. He's okay with two syllable words and words with common prefixes and suffixes. Has anyone else's kid needed more work on breaking up syllables after finishing OPGTR? What did you use?

Edited by MrsWeasley

I would get a scrap piece of paper and keep it in whatever book my child was reading to me and break the words she was stuck on down for her. After enough examples she was able to do it herself without teaching directly about syllabification. I am now doing the same thing with my younger child. Both of my children read better when they enjoyed the book and wanted to read it than when I used words alone for practice.

• Like 1

We have the same issue. I am just having her read aloud to me a bit every day so I can help her as she needs it. We are working through BookShark's readers, finishing up the first grade ones, then moving onto the second grade set. I imagine I will have her read aloud to me every day for at least the next 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

I agree with the low cost idea mentioned above.

When my dc started a spelling program, I saw an improvement in reading multisyllable words. This was the case for us.

I recommend Logic of English or All About Spelling.

I had initially planned to start All About Spelling after OPGTR, but then thought maybe we needed more explicit reading instruction before we moved to spelling. (I didn't want to teach both at the same time.) If starting AAS helped with reading multi-syllable words for you, maybe we'll just stick with the initial plan.

• Like 1

We have the same issue. I am just having her read aloud to me a bit every day so I can help her as she needs it. We are working through BookShark's readers, finishing up the first grade ones, then moving onto the second grade set. I imagine I will have her read aloud to me every day for at least the next 2-3 years. 

I have him reading readers, but he's mostly reading Star Wars readers we get from the library. Maybe I should do something systematic like that...

I had initially planned to start All About Spelling after OPGTR, but then thought maybe we needed more explicit reading instruction before we moved to spelling. (I didn't want to teach both at the same time.) If starting AAS helped with reading multi-syllable words for you, maybe we'll just stick with the initial plan.

After we used OPGTR, we started with AAS 1 and then added in some of the AAR books only(we did not use the program). My ds loved all the illustrations and stories in them more so than some of the early readers from the library. They are pricey, but you could find them used.

Where did you place your son in AAR, and how did you determine it was a bad fit?

We finished OPGTR a little on the early side, and were not very faithful about the review portion -- so I still felt something was missing when we finished the book (although I'm sure we would have been fine if I had done it properly).  My kids took the AAR placement test and placed into level 4.  It turns out that DD8 reads just perfectly and that AAR4 is overkill for her, so I may just have her finish reading the rest of the AAR4 readers to me to double-check her fluency.  She reads a lot on her own, so I think she worked out any fluency issues in her free reading.  DS7, however, is finding AAR4 very helpful in the way it breaks the words up into syllables.  He is a good reader, but sometimes rushes over words he thinks he knows.  I am taking this year to have him work through that final level of AAR and solidify his skills.