Menu

New Fitbit models - anyone tempted?

Laura Corin

I have a birthday coming up.

https://www.fitbit.com/store#products

I have the Charge HR, so I don't want to step down to not having a heart rate monitor again with an Alta.  I used to wear a large watch before I started to wear a Fitbit, so I'm wondering about the Blaze.  I'd have to see it.

As it is, my HR works fine and I'm not a serious athlete, so I probably should just stick with what I have.

I'm always tempted by the models. I have he Charge so the Alta would be a prettier version of what I have.

There is a place online where you can send your fitbit to get it waterproofed, I've not tried it so I'm not sure if it is worth the cost. There are also some Garmins that work for swimming, I have no idea how accurate they are though. My running Garmin is great.

I love my HR but the new ones are so pretty. I won't buy one until my HR bites the dust...which will be a long time since I've only had it about 5 months. 

For those who don't have a heart rate monitor on their fitbit:

I'm not convinced my HR does a good job calculating how many calories I burn during workouts. I walk/jog at an indoor track and yesterday I walked almost the whole way because it was lunchtime and there were a ton of older folks walking (it slows me down because they don't usually hear me when I try to go around them)  and after 50 minutes my fitbit said I'd burned some 330 calories. That seems high.  So if I was relying on my fitbit to help me balance calories and exercise in order to lose weight, I might be disappointed. 

Edited by Annie G

My husband can barely swim. I didn't believe him when he told me this was because he can't even float that well and then we went swimming together and sure enough, he sinks.

Has he worked with a swim instructor at all?

This was my youngest son.  I found it so odd that he just would sink, but once he learned what worked for him and his body, he learned to float.

Husband swims a lot and I haven't yet found anything that would work well for him.

The Garmin VivoSmart HR is waterproof and has a HR monitor, which seems approximately as accurate as the Charge HR (in other words, good for resting, less reliable when exercising). I switched to it about a month and a half ago, and the only thing I miss about the Charge is the FitBit community.

I like the look of the Alta. I like that it has interchangeable bands - sometimes I'd like something less utilitarian. I might have considered jumping ship back to fitbit if it had a HR monitor, but that's my primary reason for wearing a fitness band, so it just doesn't work.

Edited by ocelotmom

I love my HR but the new ones are so pretty. I won't buy one until my HR bites the dust...which will be a long time since I've only had it about 5 months.

For those who don't have a heart rate monitor on their fitbit:

I'm not convinced my HR does a good job calculating how many calories I burn during workouts. I walk/jog at an indoor track and yesterday I walked almost the whole way because it was lunchtime and there were a ton of older folks walking (it slows me down because they don't usually hear me when I try to go around them) and after 50 minutes my fitbit said I'd burned some 330 calories. That seems high. So if I was relying on my fitbit to help me balance calories and exercise in order to lose weight, I might be disappointed.

I don't think 330 calories for 50 mimutes of walking sounds high unless you are really small. Maybe try an online calculator to get an estimate and see if it is similar. Edited by Rach
  • Like 3

The Garmin VivoSmart HR is waterproof and has a HR monitor, which seems approximately as accurate as the Charge HR (in other words, good for resting, less reliable when exercising). I switched to it about a month and a half ago, and the only thing I miss about the Charge is the FitBit community.

I like the look of the Alta. I like that it has interchangeable bands - sometimes I'd like something less utal. I might have considered jumping ship back to fitbit if it had a HR monitor, but that's my primary reason for wearing a fitness band, so it just doesn't work.

I just took another look at that Garmin, the price seems to have dropped quite a bit since before Christmas. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think 330 calories for 50 mimutes of walking sounds high unless you are really small. Maybe try an online calculator to get an estimate and see if it is similar.

Good to know! Before I started using the track, I was walking on a treadmill for 50 minutes and using incline and it calculated I was burning some 200 calories. So I thought my Fitbit was overestimating. Cool!!

• Like 1

Good to know! Before I started using the track, I was walking on a treadmill for 50 minutes and using incline and it calculated I was burning some 200 calories. So I thought my Fitbit was overestimating. Cool!!

I could be totally wrong; it depends on your weight, age, and how fast you are going. I've never really tracked my calories burned from walking but I burn about 600 per hour running. I always consider the calculator on devices and workout equipment to be an approximation but it is a gauge to compare effort.