Menu

Handwriting curr need suggestions

lulalu

I am wondering if what i want is out there.....

Looking for something that teaches cursive first, but teaches it in the manner the French do (not their cursive style) something that takes me through body movement, art work, and teaches fluency in cursive?

I want something put together to make it easier for me.

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure how the French teach cursive :laugh:  but check out New American Cursive. It begins in 1st grade, simply and without frills. It teaches the child to first learn to recognize each cursive letter, then trace a large sample with their finger, and then trace it before attempting to write it themselves. At the end of each letter lesson, the child is supposed to draw either a 'letter figure', or a picture of something that begins with each letter.

Also, Cheerful Cursive, which teaches reading cursive as well as writing it, but has a gentle grammar component as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by body movement, but I know that Handwriting Without Tears uses manipulatives, at least in the beginning.

Not sure this was helpful, but hopefully it will give you something to look at.

The library closed before I could link you to anything at Don Potter. I am glad you found the website.

If you like Waldorf form drawing, you might also like some of the vintage primary "industrial drawing" and "manual training". Also sometimes you might like the lessons in "object lessons" manuals.

Look for Willie's First Drawing Lessons. Hillyer's Kindergarten at Home. Also Anna Wilson Henderson's What and How. Prang Primary Course in Art parts 1-2. Garin's Outlines of Industrial Drawing. Gilmore Lessons in Industrial Drawing. Krusi's Drawing. The 2 handed drawing exercises in New Augsburg Drawing.

Later on, books on Celtic knotwork and mandalas will be helpful.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1