Menu

Curriculum recommendations for afterschooling Language Arts. (CLE LA vs. GWG vs. EG)

I have searched almost every thread on the forum in order to help me decide on LA for my 1st grader. Does anyone use any of these to afterschool LA? If so which one and how do (or did ) you like them.

Is CLE LA a good option for afterschooling or is it too time consuming? How does it compare to GWG and EG?

Also, does anyone use WWW (winning with writing).

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Nkem

Are you looking at a full LA program, or do you just want to shore up some areas?  Most public schools require quite a bit of writing, so you might want to look to just reinforce/introduce grammar.  

For a first grader though, the biggest LA element I would be sure to supplement at home would be reading.  You can get something like McGuffey readers and have your child read to you, about one lesson per day, repeating lessons that seem difficult.  

Thanks everyone. They do some writting in school and she is doing well with that. She does not like to write so I'm trying to get her into the habit of doing it. Pl us she needs some improvement in the LA area....

As far as not liking writing at that age, I like bravewriter (1 freewrite a week, + 1 15-20 minute block of a "project" weekly, e.g., keen observation, per season).

We also do IEW ( A) but I think you need a fair amount of physical stamina for writing and some grammar before starting it.

Edited by tm919

I have searched almost every thread on the forum in order to help me decide on LA for my 1st grader. Does anyone use any of these to afterschool LA? If so which one and how do (or did ) you like them.

Is CLE LA a good option for afterschooling or is it too time consuming? How does it compare to GWG and EG?

Also, does anyone use WWW (winning with writing).

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Nkem

I would not recommend EG or GWG for a little first-grade person. There are only eight parts of speech and some thingummies like gerunds, so no need to rush. The most important thing for a little first-grade person is learning to read; grammar can wait.

CLE is a more comprehensive English, while GWG and EG are grammar.

If anything, working on her reading skills would be better. Possibly penmanship, as well.

If I were planning to afterschool LA in first grade, I'd focus on reading.  If the child is already reading, I'd just have him or her read aloud to me from progressively more complex text every day for 20 minutes.  Once the child is reading with 4th grade fluency and comprehension, I would probably not have him or her read aloud as often.  If the child is not yet reading well, I'd provide phonics instruction using a good phonics program (it does not need to be fancy).  I'd also read aloud to the child every day from good children's literature.  Schools are usually pretty good about teaching handwriting and basic spelling, so I wouldn't rehash those at home unless the school was doing a terrible job.  And I personally think that formal grammar instruction in first grade is nuts.

In 2nd grade I'd add in grammar, in the form of the MCT LA materials.  I'd do Grammar Island then Sentence Island followed by the practice book, one sentence per day for 100 days.  

• Like 1