Menu

TOG users, help!

I have heard over and over again how TOG is a buffet.  I watched the planning video, and I get that no one should do it "all" but I am still not exactly understanding what that exactly means.  Okay, there is the "primary resources" and then there is the "alternate or extra resources"....so is the idea that you will for sure do all of the "primary resources" and then only pick the "extra resources" that you choose?  Or, when they say it is a buffet, are they including the primary resources in that list of stuff you can choose to do or not do?  In other words, when planning is everything on the table for being cut, or only the extra resources?  

I hope that makes sense.  

We are in the process (AGAIN) of choosing between TOG and Biblioplan, and I am STRESSING.  I want TOG, but I want it to be lighter.  I know Biblioplan is lighter, but it seems too light for highschool.   So, basically TOG is too much and Biblio too light.  ACK!

Thanks for any help!

I'm not up to high school level yet. My oldest is in 6th. We do use most all of the reading listed in the primary resources list. Exceptions... The read aloud and we often do not get to the art. We read the art book but skip the crafts.

If you go on the tapestry site the do have a high school transcript plan. It tells you how much needs to be done for basic credit and for honors credit.

Hope that helps!

Edited by bluemongoose

When we used ToG, we pretty much always used the Primary History and Literature resources.  I only used the alternate ones if the primary ones weren't available at the library.

For everything else, I just picked what I wanted to do.  Some weeks we did hands-on projects, some weeks we only read the bare minimum history selection.

(We only used ToG at the Grammar levels).

The way I understand it and use it is that the extra resources are choices you would use if you don't have the primary resources. Like SOTW is an extra resource. It wouldn't be needed with the primary resources. I like SOTW so I use it as a read-aloud sometimes, even though I may have all the books in the primary resources. I tend to hold the primary resources as more important the higher in level that you go. With lg/UG, the information can be found using any of those. In that instance, I would go for whatever my library had if money is tight. I have had years where time was more important to me than money so I order all of the books on that first page.

When you get to dialectic and rhetoric the questions come from the primary resources. I make it a point to have at least the primary core readings but usually the in-depth as well so that they can answer the questions.

I think when planning, you would definitely consider the core readings as non-negtiable, whether that be of the primary resources or the extra ones. The adjustments in reading may come after that. Like a new dialectic or rhetoric student may not jump fully into all the reading. They may just use the core history.

Personally, I consider the buffet more to do with maps, evaluations, lap books, the writing assignments, choosing activities, etc. we are in the colonial period right now with my UG students. We do all of the reading, all of the map work, the lit page, timeline work, then we pick 1-2 activities from the student activity pack. We are using another writing curriculum right now but we choose a writing assignment about once or twice per unit. Also, I order the evaluations and use them more for review than as tests. We prep throughout the unit using those then they take a unit test at the end.

That was very long-winded and just an explanation of how we use it. I have a friend with UG students that uses sotw and an in-depth book here and there, all of the lit, and a completely different geography program. If you have lg or UG, you could order TOG's new planning aids and it would give you a good place to start with planning tog. They don't have it above UG.

Edited by Texas T
  • Like 3

Before high school, I think everything is on the table to be cut.

When it comes to high school, The Loom has a document that clearly lays out what needs to be done for a credit to be given in each subject. (Year 1 and Year 2) Once you decide which credits to pursue, anything else could be cut. The Primary Resources page gives the option for credits in History, English or Lit/Writing, Fine Arts, Bible or Worldview, and Philosophy. That is 4+ credits in the humanities. I would guess that most people do not shoot for all those credits, but you definitely could. Nothing on the Alternative or Extra Resources page will be necessary for credits.

With D and R we use the primary resources--history and in-depth. That's b/c we have a group discussion co-op and I want them prepared.

For the grammar and UG, I am much more fluid and relaxed My LG almost never uses TOG resources as listed. We read SOTW (and my UG listens in--and actually last time through SOTW even my D student listened in until we finished the series). Then I might use an alternate or primary resources that adds something--like a "You wouldn't want to be. . ." book or a picture book of myths (or Shakespeare).

Starting in UG, we use TOG primary resources, but are very fluid. Sometimes he uses D, sometimes, UG, sometimes all of it, sometimes some of it. It depends on how interesting it looks, what his week looks like, etc. Remember, he's always doing SOTW with me.

For Literature, we use the cutting chart for R lit (and add writing). For D, we read the books. UG usually does a mix of D and UG--but this UG student has dropped one of two a year.

So, yes, the buffet, in general refers to using Fine Arts, Gov't, church history as well. However, you can use the buffet approach for history as well. But, if you want full use of the discussions, or a full history credit, you need to do more.

To me, the "buffet" is anything beyond the meaty part of the week, a.k.a. the history core readings. We often, but not always, do the history in-depth, literature, maps, lapbook, and we make sure to know most of the people and vocab. Arts, worldview (church history), alternate exercises/resources and activities are what we usually skip. What we choose might vary by the week because I feel a topic is more/less important than other chapters.

• Like 1

I am getting ready for ToG high school next year too. I have used it for about 3-4 years now, so I have the rhythm down. You might want to start walking through it week by week now (not doing the work, but planning and preparing) so you can get an idea of how it works for you. The fog is real, but it really does go away:-)

For freshman year, I am going to go through and cut to get the basic (not honors) credits for History and English. I love ToG, especially the discussions, but with other intense classes, we can't do the whole buffet. And I do not plan on feeing a bit guilty, lol.

Tapestry seems like a lot, but once you really jump into it, it is actually quite manageable -- at least that's been my experience.

I agree with most of theprevious posters. For high school plan to use the core history sources and many of the in-depth resources. I purchase most of our books and decided to purchase all core resources and in-depth resources that are used for more than one week. The authors of tapestry included the alternate resources for several reasons. Those resources are popular among homeschooled, which means many Tapestry users will have them on hand already. And, many alternate resources are included because they're just too good to miss. Some of them are out of print, but can often be found second-hand or at the library.

As you begin planning look at the first unit only. Choose your rhetoric history resources first and try to at least use the core resources. Next, look at literature. The loom will have a chart which recommends which books to use. Generally, you need to complete 3/4 of the assignments to earn a high school credit. That means you can cut about 9 weeks of readi g if you would like to - or use alternate resources or read something else! This year I took out a couple of literature books for my high schooler and substituted two of the titles from the dialectic list.

As for some of the other layers: pick and choose what "extras" you want to include in your studies. You have many choices:

Maps

Timeline

Vocab

Evaluations

Lapbook a

Church history

Government

Philosophy

Art history

Etc.

This year for rhetoric we do:

* History core and in depth reading + the accountability and thinking questions. We discuss on Fridays.

* Maps

* Literature reading, literature terms, and poetics readings + most literature questions. We discuss on Fridays. We are doing 3/4 of the assigned literature reading.

* 3/4 of the writing assignment from writing Aids.

* Government reading + discussion and/or government questions. The workload depends on our weekly schedule.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Pylegang
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone!  We are actually a long way from rhetoric level, but we are wanting to pick something and stay with it.  We have already changed curriculums so many times, and we are just needing something that will carry us through.  I am just trying to look ahead, and do my best to pick something that will hopefully work longterm.  I have a couple other questions about TOG.  I'm going to gather my thoughts and post again in a little bit, probably a new thread.  Thanks, again for the help!

Edited by homeschoolwarrior