Menu

Derek Owens Physical Science Questions

I'm considering enrolling my DD11 (turning 12 in October) in DO's Physical Science course; she will be an old 6th or young 7th grader who is generally a very strong student. She'll be taking Algebra concurrently. I have a few questions about time commitment and number of lessons for anyone who has experience with this course.

I see that there are 11 chapters. Does anyone know how many individual lessons there are? We do one day of co-op per week, so we only do four days of work per week at home. I'm trying to determine whether I can expect to finish the course in a 9-month school year working only four days per week. 

Further, how long would you say your child spent completing each lesson? What was overall time commitment weekly?

I'm leaning toward the half-priced option of access to the videos and homework/tests/answer keys without any grading support, primarily to enable us to be more flexible. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Edited by fourisenough

The time commitment is roughly 4-5 hours per week. I'd have no problem doing it over 4 days per week even if you go a little slower. It is scheduled over 32 weeks with additional weeks for holidays making it nine months. Some of the weeks are less intensive than others.

Take a look at the schedule online for an idea of the weeks.

• Like 1

As far as the half-price option, if you feel comfortable giving feedback on the formatting and mathematical side of the problems then I think you are fine. I only do the half-price option as I'm well versed in math and physics, but need some outsider to do the basic instruction. I can give the feedback.

(I can't give feedback on writing so I pay dearly for that :) )

• Like 1

As far as the half-price option, if you feel comfortable giving feedback on the formatting and mathematical side of the problems then I think you are fine. I only do the half-price option as I'm well versed in math and physics, but need some outsider to do the basic instruction. I can give the feedback.

(I can't give feedback on writing so I pay dearly for that :) )

Well, no not really, but I was thinking that with an answer key I'd at least be able to tell what's right & wrong!? I can teach through algebra 1, so I'm not a completely lost cause, but if I ever had physics, I've forgotten all of it. Maybe I should opt for the full-priced option?

You can always start with the half-price option and switch later if you find that you are not a good intermediary.

The solutions are good and provided.

I guess I'm thinking more about feedback of physics rather than physical science as to needing some background. However, I do think it is important to give some good feedback as to the format of answers and such (mostly in the upper level sciences).

• Like 1

Ds1 did Derek Owens' Physical Science a couple of years ago.  I don't recall the time commitment, but it didn't seem unreasonable.  There is a published class schedule/syllabus that we followed.  I have no background (or confidence) in science or math.  Ds was able to complete the course independently.  I graded his work using the provided answer keys, and I didn't have any trouble with doing so.  It's very doable even if the parent isn't knowledgeable about the subject.

• Like 2

Ds1 did Derek Owens' Physical Science a couple of years ago.  I don't recall the time commitment, but it didn't seem unreasonable.  There is a published class schedule/syllabus that we followed.  I have no background (or confidence) in science or math.  Ds was able to complete the course independently.  I graded his work using the provided answer keys, and I didn't have any trouble with doing so.  It's very doable even if the parent isn't knowledgeable about the subject.

How old was your DS when he took the class?