Menu

What science are you requiring?

For my oldest, he has home schooled since early grade school. He has no interest in any sort of life science. As a result, we have done everything but. With the exception of the potato plants he started growing after seeing "The Martian" he has had nothing that resembles anything related to anything that would fall under the category of life science. However, when he was young, as in 1st grade, and I was pregnant with his little brother, he did read all my pregnancy books, if that counts, LOL. He actually put books like "What to Expect When You are Expecting" and "As Your Baby Grows" on his reading list he had to turn in at school. Apparently, he was quite the hit and his reading list was circulated around the school and front office.

BUT..this is high school now. I was thinking he needs to do biology, chemistry, and physics and an elective. His response was "I have to do science?" He plans to go to college and there is a decent chance it will be in something numbers oriented. He is ahead in math. He is doing Foresters Geometry And AoP Counting and Probability as an 8th grade. He will not finish the AoP book this year. I would not assign such a generic sequence, but literally, our entire science studies to date consists of geology, Earth Science of every variety basically, meteorology, astronomy, that is it. We have not done anything but that. He had some Lego robotics classes early on. 

Plus, if anyone has suggestions to what to use for these subjects, or whatever subjects they are suggesting. I don't care for Apologia, it seems dry. I would like to get him to where he gets a little excited about science rather than looking like he took a beating being suggested it and then offers to take extra calculus instead of any future science.

I would make him do biology.  It is important to have that foundation, IMO.  And Chemistry.  The rest were up to the student for us as to how they wanted to fulfill credits.  (we've done Anatomy, Marine Biology, Physics, and Forensic Science.)

ETA:  I'm not much help in the curriculum dept. though.  One did BJU, and the other two took an outsourced class for Biology.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 2

I required four years of science for my girls. Biology, Chemistry, Physics - then you can choose Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, or Advanced Physics or another science. 

Every college I checked into in TX requires four years of science. You might want to check the typical requirements in your state.

• Like 1

I required a minimum 3 years of science with labs, though I was liberal for my non-stem student and broadened the category to "science and technology," which might not work for some. My non-stem oriented student did Physical science, Robotics (which some schools might not consider as fulfilling a science credit, so consider carefully), and biology. 

My stem student will do 4 years: biology, chemistry, physics, advanced bio.

My answer when kids don't want to do something has always been, "yes, you have to do it, but there are some choices..." Had my non-stem student been more interested in a specific area (weather, astronomy, geology...) I'd have made up a course for that instead of either Physical or Robotics.

Look at college requirements as well as any state regs. Colleges usually wanted 3 years of science, 1-2 with labs around here. Many specified either biology or chemistry. Some might specify both. So look ahead at the options to give you a good feel for what might be workable.

• Like 3

She's had algebra-based physics, chemistry, biology, and AP Environmental Science so far. Next year she'll do geology and/or astronomy.

(She's not a STEM student. Her private-schooled older brother, now working for a major Silicon Valley corporation, had bio, chemistry, both AP Physics C courses, and AP Environmental.)

Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth/ Geology required by us (science geek parents, but kid wants to go STeM too)

Electives- Intro to engineering fields, lots of robotics & computer science (math or science?). I offered astronomy but he's not interested. Plus some other things designed around Great Courses offerings.

We're doing Biology with labs at home now (9th grade).

Next year we're doing a class we're building from the basis of the Big History project with a mix of Cosmology/Astronomy, Geology/Earth Science, and touching on Ecology, Meteorology, and Oceanology. We'll probably call it "Earth Science" on his transcript and make use of CK-12 Earth Science book for sections.

He'll do Chemistry and Physics his junior and senior years -- probably one at our homeschool group and one DE.

• Like 1

Is there a way to do something life science-y in a math-oriented way? I'm thinking perhaps you could do biology or ecology/environmental science with a heavy emphasis on statistics, maybe--would that grab him, I wonder? Maybe changing the lens through which you view the subject would do the trick in terms of sparking his interest.

Just a thought...

Edited by Emerald Stoker

In your particular case, I would start with a general science class such at Great Courses Joy of Science (a survey of different types of science) or one of the sources of "Big History" (Big Bang -> Evolution, covering topics in cosmology through evolution). Augment the survey class with whatever labs make sense, or field trips.

See if something sparks his interest during your survey year. If not, pick physics next: It's very mathematical. Then do some sort of life science: General bio, or specific topics in bio like ecology, etc.

Then an elective science senior year.

What my kids have done:

Kid #1 (my artist, a senior): Chemistry, biology, meteorology

Kid #2 (my planetary scientist, a sophomore): Planetary Science (2 credits and counting), physics, chemistry. (Yes, doubled-up on science credits, not a good choice in your case)

• Like 1

In your particular case, I would start with a general science class such at Great Courses Joy of Science (a survey of different types of science) or one of the sources of "Big History" (Big Bang -> Evolution, covering topics in cosmology through evolution). Augment the survey class with whatever labs make sense, or field trips.

See if something sparks his interest during your survey year. If not, pick physics next: It's very mathematical. Then do some sort of life science: General bio, or specific topics in bio like ecology, etc.

Then an elective science senior year.

What my kids have done:

Kid #1 (my artist, a senior): Chemistry, biology, meteorology

Kid #2 (my planetary scientist, a sophomore): Planetary Science (2 credits and counting), physics, chemistry. (Yes, doubled-up on science credits, not a good choice in your case)

Joy of Science! I think our library might have that. I should check it out.

• Like 1

I required 3 lab sciences which had to include Biology and Chemistry. Ds planned to do advanced Chem his senior year, then CLEP chemistry, but backed out and graduated with my required 3 lab science credits, ICP, Bio, Chem and Forensic Science as an elective. Dd did ICP, Bio, Chem, Advanced Bio, and A&P. She is graduating a year early or Physics would have been in there too. She plans to be a nurse and she will never be required to take Physics in her chosen nursing program.

My ideal is bio, physics, and chem, and then more if they want it. 2-3 lab depending on the kid.

My oldest struggles with science and taught me that ideals need to bend to the breaking point for some kids. I got him through biology and some forensics before he went to a charter school. Forensics injected more chemistry into him than a typical chemistry book ever would have at least.

Kiddo #2 is going physics, forensics, biology, chemistry. She says she's not a science kid until she gets deep enough in the course to be fascinated.

#3 is starting biology in 8th, and plans on talking physics, chemistry, earth, astronomy, and aerospace, not necessarily in that order. One of the schools he's interested in requires earth, or he probably would have done more of it in middle school.

Edited by SilverMoon

My older dc did physical science (ICP), biology, and chemistry.  My middle dc has done the same and will choose another one when chem is done.  My 3rd dc is into STEM and will cover physical science in middle school, so high school can be biology, chemistry, advanced bio, and physics.   

There's a lot of math in physics and chemistry.  He might just need to be exposed to it to see.  It sounds like he is very advanced in math, so I would talk about what options he wants to keep open for college.  A lot of colleges in my region (East Coast), and not even super selective ones, actually "recommend" at least 3 years of lab science, preferably bio, chem, and physics.  I've seen others say two out of those three.

• Like 1

Not exactly “requiredâ€, but…

AP Chem 

Chem olympiad as EC every year after AP Chem (it definitely helps in keeping Chem fresh for college)

AP Phy C – Mechanics 

AP Phy C –  Electricity  & Magnetism

AP Bio

3 DE Chem classes (mostly Chem research)

Edited by JoanHomeEd

For a kid who likes math, maybe do a physics first course (conceptual with algebra) to whet the appetite for Science as math. Then Chem too, is mainly math. Bio, well, no, can' t win em all, but uts required lots of places anyways.

Agreed.  For a kid who loves numbers, the OP's best bet to hook him on science is physics.  He'll get to see how to apply all that cool math he likes to learn. :)  Move from physics to chemistry (which is a natural progression anyway).  My dd is similar in that she enjoys math and physics and chem but really wasn't fond of bio.  I had her do a somewhat stripped down version of Kolbe's Bio syllabus in Grade 8 and promised her she wouldn't have to do bio again if she did other sciences for Grades 9 through 12.  She did Honours Chem in 9th, she's doing Honours Physics this year in 10th, she'll do AP Chem in 11th, and probably one of the AP Physics courses in 12th.  There might also be a home-grown Organic Chem course in Grade 12 - we'll see.

We're using Derek Owens this year for Physics and dd is really liking it.

• Like 2

I plan to be flexible with each kid. Eldest is doing DO's physics this year. She loves algebra (taking geometry this year), but doesn't care for DO's physics. I told her that after next year's Chemistry, she can choose one college (dual enrollment) science and be done. So, she might end up with only three science credits. She will have covered out state's requirements and the state U's entrance reqs.

She's my guinea pig and still young, so who knows. . .

I was going to require bio, chem, and physics. Ds dislikes biology and loves physics, so we ended up doing Conceptual Physics, Astronomy, Biology, and Physics. We had some life situations that threw off our schedule and plans, but I knew he'd avoid biology in college, so I wanted him to have that exposure and basics. I'm disappointed we didn't get to chemistry, but we didn't. He'll end up taking it next year at college most likely. 

I didn't really read all of the responses and so maybe someone already suggested this...but net year we are doing "Friendly Chemistry"  It is a complete high school program, but it's written in such a way that it's...well...Friendly.  They are also currently working on a biology course.  Look it up...click on "contact" and email the writer.  He is amazing!!  Very helpful and will respond quickly to your questions.  

We tired Apologia Biology this year...and it is tough.  My daughter who is taking that now, will retake the Friendly Bio when my son takes it.  

• 2 weeks later...

JanetC,

What did you use for your meteorology course? I haven't been able to find a high school course. I see the Great Courses has an Intro to Meteorology DVD set and I've found some college textbooks. Are one of these the route you took?

She did the meteorology at a community college. I have seen part of the Grear Courses DVD and what I saw was good, if that helps at all.

Not exactly “requiredâ€, but…

AP Chem

Chem olympiad as EC every year after AP Chem (it definitely helps in keeping Chem fresh for college)

AP Phy C – Mechanics

AP Phy C – Electricity & Magnetism

AP Bio

3 DE Chem classes (mostly Chem research)

You might want to check on the chem DE. I read that you can only take 2 chem college classes if you want to qualify for Chem Olympiad. Not sure if it has changed or not but double check.

We require four years of science.  The oldest three will wind up with more than that.

Minimum:  Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Beyond that, it's more or less up to the child.  Oldest DD will also have a year of Marine Biology, AP Environmental, AP Biology, and possibly Organic Chemistry.  Oldest DS will have a ton of Physics (Biology, AP Environmental, Physics, AP Chem, AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2 or AP Physics C)  DS #2 will have Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and from there, I expect AP Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and probably either Organic Chem or Microbiology, or something along those lines.  My oldest son is interested in engineering, oldest DD is interested in Marine Bio, and younger son has somewhat of a PreMed bent.  These are my science kids.

My next two, it's still too early for me to see where they will wind up science wise, but at minimum, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, with one more of their choosing. 

We are required to teach four years of science, 3 of which must include labs. My requirements were for biology and chemistry. He chose to do marine biology as a third and will do anatomy & Physiology as his fourth. We may do some conceptual physics as well, but I'm not going to push it. He's not a STEM kid and couldn't care less about science.

Depending on your state requirements, the choice may be made for him ;)

In our state, biology is a requirement.  On top of that, if he plans to attend college and has hopes of scholarships, they'll want to at least basic biology on a transcript.

Edited by tammieb

My intention was to require 4 years.  First twin did:

Bio

Chem

Physics

AP Physics

Second twin did:

Bio

Chem

AP BIo (ish.  She punted the class and ended up self-studying without the rest of the labs, so the test score of 3 is on her transcript, but not the class...)

Physics (one semester at CC)

Youngest

Started 9th with Bio at ps, left ps and is doing a semester of Zoology at CC

I think from here she'll do at least 1 semester Chem at CC and maybe DO Physics.

If she doesn't want to do more Chem after the first semester, I might call it good, as that will count for 3 Science with labs. 

I myself did 6 credits of Science in high school - Physical Science, Oceanography/Meteorology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Biology II (which would be AP today; we used a college text).