Menu

Spanish help

Mama Geek

Dd is 5 and is reading English very well.  We are currently slowly working through Little House in the Big Woods.  She has watched all the Salsa videos some of them several times.  We have been using Usborne's 1st Thousand Words in Spanish, we have a friend who is now long distance that has taught her some too.  She is slow on spelling in English and typing much is out of the question.  Duolingo has a lot of typing for where she is currently at.  What would you all recommend for something a little more formal now?  I had high school Spanish 25 years ago and pick up little bits and pieces with her so I can help some.  

Evaluate your goals and abilities. If you aren't in a hurry for her to be able to speak the language, and no one in your house is fluent and can hold conversations with her, then maybe you want to consistently, but slowly build up vocabulary and grammar with the goal of making transition into an organized curriculum at later date easy?

What other resources does your library have? Ours has a bunch of early vocabulary videos and board books and picture books. We look at a page from 1000 words one day a week. I have a Coqui workbook from Barnes & Noble that has a phonetic approach for reading, I don't like the workbook much, but we are using it to get her reading. We do a page or two from the Tin Man Press Spanish pages, those are great. All these are just gentle, repetitive approaches to increasing her grammar. We are stool using Salsa once a week, but YouTube and the internet have other resources if you have time and energy to track them down.

Sorry, this is a rather unorganized response and lunch calls.

I would focus more on spoken Spanish early on, including songs, videos, etc.  If you can afford a native-speaking tutor, that would be ideal, but it should be something sustainable or it may not be an efficient use of money.  Maybe someone else will have suggestions for online videos, etc.  Best wishes.

• 1 month later...

For reading in Spanish I highly recommend the Hagamos Caminos series by Alma Flor Ada. They progress phonetically and the text is engaging. It also starts out with limited vocabulary, which helps a Spanish learner. The workbooks are really good too.

For learning the language without you knowing it too well, I recommend the Technology Enhanced Elementary Spanish Program (TEESP). I wrote another post about it in the K-8 Board. It is free, it has videos, lesson plans and student worksheets. The teacher's accent in the video isn't great, but overall I like the techniques used and the progression. I've used the worksheets with 2-3rd grades successfully.

http://manzana.esu16.org/groups/teesplevel1/blog/

Hope this helps!