Menu

What/who are you guys studying for Black History Month?

Schools usually assign a BHM project this time of year. My dd is in 2nd grade and this year we've chosen to study Shirley Chisholm. We chose her because she is from Brooklyn, NY (where we're from) and has a Caribbean background (just like us).

Last year we highlighted Bessie Coleman. I suppose I have encouraged her to study women in black history so far. There's just so much to cover and so many different eras (slavery, civil war, reconstruction, civil rights etc). It's hard to choose just one person.

As part of our read aloud this month we've been reading a compilation of biographies that features 20 AA heroes. We're also enjoying reading a historical fiction novel which is the journal of Patsy a freed girl just after the Civil War.

Who are you guys studying? How did you decide? Do your children have to make a presentation to the class? I'm always interested in hearing about other people in Black history I may not have heard of in black history.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don't hear much about black history month from my kids now that they are in a parochial school.  I should probably ask them about it.  I know they integrate black history into their studies all year long though, via their reading text mainly.

My kids only have one AA classmate right now, but their class also includes 3 kids born in Latin America, 1 who is a mix of Japanese and Chinese, and at least one other from a non-European background.  There is no "month" when any of the other non-European backgrounds are celebrated, so I guess I don't mind if they don't make a big fuss about one over the others.

• Like 1

Heigh Ho- yes I agree so many interesting and inspiring people and stories.

SKL- It's great that they learn about it throughout the year. Hmm I guess I never thought of it as a big fuss just another topic to study at this time of the year. At our school we do have multicultural day where students of other ethnicities share their culture and food. But not a month like you said.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My kids are in a public school but I have not seen a great deal done about it being Black History Month. (We're 22% African American, 40% Hispanic, 28% White, and the rest other.)  They do a LOT about diversity in general. Encouraging kids to do projects from some aspect of their family history that they identify with, Studying different cultures, even having a "tasting" day when they can get parents to donate food from different cultures for kids to try.