Menu

Book Shark

keirin

I haven't seen a lot of people on here recommending or using Book Shark (or Sonlight). Anyone want to post a review or some helpful information about those programs? I'm considering using their History through Literature program for Kindergarten next year. If you wouldn't recommend the program, do you have a suggestion for another similar program (I'm aware of Build Your Library)?

Edited by keirin

I'm using SL's P4/5 program for Kindergarten and I love it. It covers Bible, read-aloud stories and rhymes, science, and social studies/culture. It also includes a song each week, a Bible verse to memorize and a character trait, and some simple activities to go along with some of the readings. We sometimes act out a story or a concept from the science book. We get out the map and find the countries where our international stories are coming from. It is low-key if you want to just read the books, but the added activities add to the richness when you have the time (and student interest).

Anyway, like I said...I love it ;)

We love it.  

In fact I just started writing out some stuff for my parents who would be DD's guardians if both DH and I died.  The latest HSLDA post about the homeschooling grandmother reminded me that my parents have no idea what we do or what we plan on doing.   They are supportive but we've never gone into details.  Bookshark was the first item on the list.  

We used BookShark 2nd grade last year, and didn't care for it. The layout was fine, and we actually really enjoyed Child's History of the World (I actually prefer it to SoTW), but didn't care for the literature selections. I know many, many people LOVE BkSh/Sonlight's books, but we found them actually kind of dull. (I got to the end of Red Sails to Capri - which again, many people love- and went "wait, that's it??")

We switched over to BYL this year, and it is a much better fit for us. The two programs are, frankly, pretty similar in layout, and the way your days are arranged. But we like the literature books much, much more.

BYL includes science (for BkSh it's an extra package), and art history and art projects in their base curriculum. We're using the art history (basically it lines up an Usborne Intro to Art book with the time period you're studying, which I find helpful and a fun extra). 

For anyone comparing the two, I'd really recommend getting a few books from each list, reading them through, and seeing which you prefer.

• Like 1

We use the history and love it.  

My issue with them is that they are packaged by specific grade levels. This makes it hard for me to have my kids in the same period of history. I can't handle two or more history periods at the same time.

The website says the word "grade" (it initially was marketed to public schools), but if you look at the upper right corner it has a number.  Think of it as "level" not grade.  Each level has an age range of 3 - 4 years.  Example: Level 2 says it's for ages 7 - 9, Level 3 if for ages 8 - 11.  

I just wanted to point this out in case someone reads this and doesn't even look at BkSk because they thinks it's individual grade levels.  

We've been using Sonlight/Book Shark for several years and I love it. I love having everything laid out for me and we have enjoyed most of the books. We have used levels P 4/5 up to Book Shark 8. I did a review of BookShark K on my blog last year, after we finished it.  I'll try to link to it here.

My issue with them is that they are packaged by specific grade levels. This makes it hard for me to have my kids in the same period of history. I can't handle two or more history periods at the same time.

I often used their sister company Sonlight's cores for 2 different grade levels. The books aren't "grade level specific" just because they are suggested for a certain age (ie, Charlotte's Web can be enjoyed at many ages and isn't specifically a "first grade" book). If you look at different literature-based curricula, you'll find they often use books in different years/grade levels.

Edited by MerryAtHope