Menu

Puppy Monkey Baby: Your Reactions

MercyA

Puppy Monkey Baby Commercial  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What was your reaction to Mountain Dew's Puppy Monkey Baby Commercial?

• It was so hilarious I was in danger of spitting out my drink.
    • It was amusing.
    • I have no reaction to Puppy-Monkey-Babies.
    • It was creepy as hell.
    • I cringed and/or rolled my eyes in disgust.
    • I was deeply offended by Puppy Monkey Baby.
    • My child was freaked out and may need therapy.
    • Puppy monkey what now?
    • Obligatory other.
    • It was just plain stupid.

I wouldn't say I cringed or rolled my eyes in disgust, but I sat there going "What the heck was that about?!" It wasn't funny, it was just... stupid. Even my kids who are ALL about silliness and nonsensical hilarity were just staring at it with :huh: that expression on their faces.

I added a "just plain stupid" option for you.  :)

• Like 4

I don't understand how these ads get the green light from companies. Like this case, I often end up remembering the ad, but not what was being advertised.

The absolutely terrifying thing is, they do lots and lots of tests on people in their core demographic, and this one clearly resulted in the people choosing their product later.

It is highly scientific.

What this implies is that people in their core demographic respond to this on some level. Even more terrifying, we might all respond to it even if we believe we don't.

• Like 3

The absolutely terrifying thing is, they do lots and lots of tests on people in their core demographic, and this one clearly resulted in the people choosing their product later.

It is highly scientific.

What this implies is that people in their core demographic respond to this on some level. Even more terrifying, we might all respond to it even if we believe we don't.

The men in my life found the Puppy Monkey Baby to be hilarious. Which was more disappointing than the commercial itself.

And even if we all hated the commercial...here we are discussing it. So that's a win for marketing I guess.

• Like 10

The men in my life found the Puppy Monkey Baby to be hilarious. Which was more disappointing than the commercial itself.

And even if we all hated the commercial...here we are discussing it. So that's a win for marketing I guess.

Holy crap. My man also said he liked it (I just asked him). Only improvement, in his mind, would be "puppy monkey baby with boobs", which would indicate they really knew how to make the perfect combination.

This is a man who is a scientist, has a real job, is extremely responsible in many areas of life, loves his mom, and hates soda.

Well, mystery solved I guess. They are aiming this commercial solely at testosterone.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

When a commercial seems stupid (think of those overly dramatic lawyer commercials), realize that you are not their target audience. The customers they want find the drama appealing.

I don't understand how these ads get the green light from companies. Like this case, I often end up remembering the ad, but not what was being advertised.

You/we likely are not the target audience or market for Mountain Dew with added caffeine and "energy" stuff. ;)

• Like 1

My kids thought it was hilarious and loved it - definitely target audience.

DH and I thought it was stupid, creepy, and hated it - definitely not the target audience.   Unfortunately for the target audience, they have a few more years until they can drive themselves to the store to buy the target product, and I surely won't be buying it for them.

• Like 1

It is highly scientific.

THIS is the part that earns a "very scary" vote!

What a waste of advertising money.  They could have herded a lot of cats instead.

I am incredulous not only that someone came up with this ad, but that some company exec thought, "YES, that's it, I want that one!"

One of the dumbest commercials ever.  I'm sorry, I can't believe that is an actual score in the advertising world to have a majority of people think your ad is beyond stupid.

Any publicity is good publicity. They are in this for the long haul. They expect to be around when all our kids can walk themselves to 7-11 and they are probably right.

You don't have to like it for them to win. You just have to talk about it.

• Like 1

We all thought it was pretty stupid last night. On thinking about it this morning, I think they hit their mark. The phrase "puppymonkeybaby" sticks in your head (they repeated it enough). While I drove my youngest to school for band and science this morning, I predicted her peers would be repeating that and would all love the commercial--it was middle-school mentality after all. Sure enough, she said someone had even drawn a puppymonkeybaby on the white board in band. And when I tried to argue "yeah, but can you even remember what it was advertising?" she rattled off "Mt. Dew" (which she loves and which I'm sure many of her peers do too). I can just see whenever someone is drinking a Mt. Dew someone else will point and say "puppymonkeybaby!"

• Like 2

We all thought it was pretty stupid last night. On thinking about it this morning, I think they hit their mark. The phrase "puppymonkeybaby" sticks in your head (they repeated it enough). While I drove my youngest to school for band and science this morning, I predicted her peers would be repeating that and would all love the commercial--it was middle-school mentality after all. Sure enough, she said someone had even drawn a puppymonkeybaby on the white board in band. And when I tried to argue "yeah, but can you even remember what it was advertising?" she rattled off "Mt. Dew" (which she loves and which I'm sure many of her peers do too). I can just see whenever someone is drinking a Mt. Dew someone else will point and say "puppymonkeybaby!"

I have to admit that I drew puppymonkeybaby on the whiteboard in math class today.  We were studying the concept of zero, and talking about things that people have zero of.  Turns out every single kid in my class has zero puppymonkeybabies.  

• Like 10

Okay, I went and found the commercial and watched it.

1. They picked an incredibly ugly puppy. I'd have gone with a golden retriever or something.

2. It's not really three things. Mt. Dew ALWAYS has caffeine in it, so it's really just 2 things, Mt. Dew and juice.

3. If Mt. Dew and juice sounds good to me, I would rather mix cheaply in a glass myself rather than buy in an overpriced "energy drink."

• Like 1

Okay, I went and found the commercial and watched it.

1. They picked an incredibly ugly puppy. I'd have gone with a golden retriever or something.

2. It's not really three things. Mt. Dew ALWAYS has caffeine in it, so it's really just 2 things, Mt. Dew and juice.

3. If Mt. Dew and juice sounds good to me, I would rather mix cheaply in a glass myself rather than buy in an overpriced "energy drink."

Yeah, I was going to say I am skewed anyway, because, of all the puppies, I do not like Pugs. And I never, ever liked monkies. I hated monkies as a child and have never found mokeys cute. And I think we can all agree that the diapered part of a baby is always the least amusing. So, no.

• Like 1

I would have picked the "weird, but funny" option if there was one.

This was essentially my reaction:  "What?  LOL.  Weird."

But, I can't get it out of my head today.

puppymonkeybaby

puppymonkeybaby

puppymonkeybaby

And I have a strange desire to go watch it again.

Yup, I think it did it's job.

• Like 1

I think the PMB designers did a brilliant job in making a creature that was so confusing at first you HAD to look longer, in order to make sense of what you were seeing. A pug barely looks like a dog; the money's body was fluffy enough to be a variety of animals, and the baby legs were...well, baby legs. It taps into some deep psychology of attention and reaction that a puppy, or monkey, or even a cute sassy baby couldn't have.

• Like 2