Menu

I have shingles-any btdt advice?

Debbi in Texas

I had it as a teenager.  If I remember correctly, the worst thing was when clothes would rub against it.  If you can, I would not wear clothes that touch the area, as often as possible.  Or, wear something snug that won't rub, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

What helped me was Aveeno.

I did not go to the doc and I suffered for 2.5 months.  I had to wear "business casual" dockers type clothes or pantyhose to work every day.  Torture.  My friends took me to the Elton John concert for my birthday, and I could not enjoy it because Torture.  Ugh!  I heard later that if you go to the doc they can make it tolerable.  Good luck!

• Like 1

How soon were you given the prescription? I think there is a few day time frame where at least one drug is effective and doesn't do much if you get it too late. When I had shingles, I noticed the pain decreasing right away when I started the prescription. If I recall correctly, the pain only lasted 24 hours after the prescription started. I was fatigued for a long time afterwards and cold hurt.

Hope you are able to be comfortable soon.

Well, I waited a day or two before going to the doctor. At first I thought it was psoriasis. Then I decided it wasn't psoriasis, but I was putting antibiotic ointment on it hoping it would get better.

I would say, it was five days from the first appearance, but it didn't get really bad until a couple days later.

So, I probably missed the window of opportunity.

I had it and suffered more than what I did during childbirth. The doctor said that the antiviral was effective if it was taken within 72 hours and I went a little after 72 hours. Call your doctor and ask for a stronger pain killer, they can give you the high grade pain killers. For me, even the narcotics took more than an hour to numb the pain and I watched TV shows on netflix for an hour after taking them to distract myself.

I was told this much after I got better, but, this will certainly help you now - get elderberry syrup (sambucol) or brew your own from dry berries. The syrup is supposed to stop the virus from multiplying in your body and lessening the intensity and length of the attack manifold. I was told that taking it every 2 hours would stop the attack quickly. I take elderberry syrup if I ever feel that I am getting a relapse.

My sympathies and wishing you comfort.

• Like 1

Well this is timely! I'm awake at 4:00 a.m. with the worst leg pain ever! A few days ago I thought I pulled a hamstring (at least that's what Dr. Google led me to believe). Before going to bed, though, I noticed a rash on the back if my thigh. So now I'm wondering if it's shingles. Planning to call the doctor as soon as the office opens.

Whatever it is, I'm commiserating with you, OP!

• Like 1

I just had it this past summer.  Key things for me:

1.  Loose clothing

2.  Plenty of rest/sleep

3.  Regular pain meds (don't wait!  take on schedule--the doctor should be able to prescribe some that are meant to be taken long term)

4.  B-vitamins (I believe B-12 is key, but I took a B-complex.  This is to be taken for a year.....)

5.  Do whatever it takes to destress.  I'm six months past my original diagnoses and still occasionally experience a minor uncomfortable flare-up on my affected side which highly correlates with 1. stress and 2. forgetting to take my B-complex.

6.  Know that for many, complete recovery takes months, so plan to SLOWLY get back into the swing of things as you feel better.  i.e, don't overdo the moment you feel a bit better--that will ultimately set you back.....  

So sorry you are going through this!

• Like 1

I feel for you.  Right now dh is suffering from his second bout with it,this time they are in his sinus cavity.  No sign of the rash yet but still just as painful.  Just as Vicki said above it can take awhile for shingles to completely recover.  Rest, pain meds and communicate with your doctor.  If what they have prescribed is not helping (not getting rid of it but easing it a bit) after a few days or a week let them know.  Sometimes they will need to prescribe something else.  The real key is rest (no stress, really resting) and time.

• Like 1

I just had them at Thanksgiving. I think the key is getting the anti-viral going within 72 hours of the rash showing up. My doctor was serious about this because I was going to wait until the next day to fill the Rx and she said "no, start it by lunch today. wake yourself up to take it on time." (5x a day, I think it was?)

So I did. Mine basically cleared in a week.  So, while that doesn't help you, tell all your friends to act quickly when the rash appears.

For the pain I did alternating Advil and Tylenol. And like someone else said, don't wait, just stay on schedule.

Hot baths got me through the worst of the rash time.

I had to go on gababentin for the nerve pain. That shocked me because my brother takes that for phantom pain related to an amputation.  I took that for about 3 weeks.  It has to build up in your system and kept consistent. It was the nerve stuff that was the worst for me.

I still have nerve flares, usually when cold.

Rest, rest, rest. As hard as it is...so important.  Hope you feel better soon!!!

• Like 1

I just had it this past summer.  Key things for me:

1.  Loose clothing

2.  Plenty of rest/sleep

3.  Regular pain meds (don't wait!  take on schedule--the doctor should be able to prescribe some that are meant to be taken long term)

4.  B-vitamins (I believe B-12 is key, but I took a B-complex.  This is to be taken for a year.....)

5.  Do whatever it takes to destress.  I'm six months past my original diagnoses and still occasionally experience a minor uncomfortable flare-up on my affected side which highly correlates with 1. stress and 2. forgetting to take my B-complex.

6.  Know that for many, complete recovery takes months, so plan to SLOWLY get back into the swing of things as you feel better.  i.e, don't overdo the moment you feel a bit better--that will ultimately set you back.....  

So sorry you are going through this!

#5 is so very important. My worst days were the ones when I was stressed out about our new shower leaking into the basement. Once I was able to get into bed, and relax the pain lessened. I also get flare ups when stressed.

I just had them at Thanksgiving. I think the key is getting the anti-viral going within 72 hours of the rash showing up. My doctor was serious about this because I was going to wait until the next day to fill the Rx and she said "no, start it by lunch today. wake yourself up to take it on time." (5x a day, I think it was?)

So I did. Mine basically cleared in a week.  So, while that doesn't help you, tell all your friends to act quickly when the rash appears.

For the pain I did alternating Advil and Tylenol. And like someone else said, don't wait, just stay on schedule.

Hot baths got me through the worst of the rash time.

I had to go on gababentin for the nerve pain. That shocked me because my brother takes that for phantom pain related to an amputation.  I took that for about 3 weeks.  It has to build up in your system and kept consistent. It was the nerve stuff that was the worst for me.

I still have nerve flares, usually when cold.

Rest, rest, rest. As hard as it is...so important.  Hope you feel better soon!!!

Mine flares up mostly when it's hot. I think heat stresses me more than cold. I also had it on my face, so maybe it has something to do with the sun getting in my right eye.

Kelly

• Like 1

#5 is so very important. My worst days were the ones when I was stressed out about our new shower leaking into the basement. Once I was able to get into bed, and relax the pain lessened. I also get flare ups when stressed.

Mine flares up mostly when it's hot. I think heat stresses me more than cold. I also had it on my face, so maybe it has something to do with the sun getting in my right eye.

Kelly

I guess mine might flare when hot, too. Since it was November when I got it I haven't experience hot yet. :) :0  I live in the deep south though, so I will know soon enough!!!

• Like 1