Menu

Those with high schoolers...Help with upcoming middle school! And more...

I currently have two 4th graders and one 6th grader. The idea that middle school is just around the corner is freaking me out a bit. This is what we do right now in our homeschoool:

Bible/History (SCM) - Monday-Friday

Math (MM) - Monday-Friday

Science (Apologia) - Monday, Thursday

Latin (Getting Started with Latin) - Tuesday, Wednesday (though we've taken a bread since Christmas)

Language for the 4th graders (Intermediate Language Lessons) - Tuesday, Wednesday (mostly oral as they aren't strong in writing yet)

Grammar for 6th grader (Analytical Grammar) - Monday-Friday until first 10 lessons were done, now just 1 review lesson every other week

Copywork for 4th graders (SCM) - Monday, Thursday

Spelling (SCM Spelling Wisdom) - Tuesday, Wednesday

Art (SCM Handicrafts) - Friday

Reading - everyday

Spelling and Reading for my one 4th grader who needs a little extra help (AAS/AAR) - Monday-Friday (though we've taken a break from this and focused on him reading, reading, reading books)

I feel like I am just trying to "get through the day", with no real joy in it all. I even catch myself telling my kids to just go ahead and get through their work so we can be done with it :( I don't want that. I want them to LOVE learning and be excited about it. I don't want it to be a drag.

I don't know if we are doing too much, not enough, not the right stuff. I started with Abeka years ago, moved to MFW, then to SCM for the last 2 years. I really like CM style, but I get overwhelmed when I look at what is recommeneded on the SCM site. Am I suppose to be doing all of that?? We haven't done music theory, so I was going to add that in this year. We listen to music all the time and they are always playing on the piano. I would love for that to be enough for music. But is it??

Foreign Language...they hated Latin, or at least the one I was doing. So we're on a break from that. Should I be doing formal foreign lang studies with them at their ages? Or wait until high school?

Same with science...my boys (the 4th graders) love science, so I wen with Apologia this year because it looked so fun. My 6th grader commented the other day that it was so boring because all I do is read to them from the book :/ I'm trying to figure out if I need to be doing formal science with her when she gets into 7th grade. Part of me thinks I should scale back on that and just let her enjoy the next 2 years with no formal science. The other part of me wonders if that would hurt her in the long run when she gets in high schoool?

Is doing Analytical Grammar with my 6th grader too much this early? Or is that a good thing to be doing now?

Copywork...when did you stop doing that with your kiddos? My 6th grader doesn't anymore. I think I stopped with her when I realized that she could print or write cursive with no problem on her own. My 4th graders still struggle with cursive, so that's why I've still be doing copywork.

Spelling...My 6th grader and one of my 4th graders are excellent spellers! Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing Spelling Wisdom with them. It doesn't seem to challenge them. I had done Spelling Power with my oldest a couple of years ago. She said she hated it. But now that she's been doing Spelling Wisdom, she's asking to go back to Spelling Power. My struggling reader/speller is in AAS/AAR, but it seems overwhelming for him at times. That's why we have taken a break and just focued on lots and lots of reading. The more he reads, the more fluent he seems (obviously.) I feel like with spelling, you either have it or you don't. I'm not sure he has it. So, should I still pursue a rigorous spelling curriculum, or lay off some?

I've been homeschooling for 7 years now and all of a sudden feel like I don't know what I'm doing! I am questioning everything. I want to streamline things a bit more and make it more enjoyable and more laid back, without compromising their education.

I also don't know how to find that balance for my rising 7th grader...where I allow her to enjoy these last 2 "easier" years before high school or push for her to have all these formal studies.

I hope this made sense. I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I had everything in my cart for SCM and Apologia for next year and now I'm questioning it.

So, for those who have high schoolers and who have been there...what is your advice??

Thank you SO much!

Edited by daisylynn

And I had my whole post divided nicely into paragraphs where it was easy to read. What happened???

**ETA - Ok, after a few minutes it appeared correctly. It was on in one long paragraph at first, even with me hitting enter between paragraphs. I think it's fixed now though :) **

Edited by daisylynn
  • Like 1

Generally, you have to put a space between paragraphs. An indent won't take. (ETA: looks like you got that taken care of while I was posting)

In answer to your question, I wouldn't know. My youngest is in high school, but we unschool. Your comment about science caught my attention because if there's one thing I could have done differently back when we did organized lessons, it would be to let them lead with regard to science and interest. By the time we got to the stuff they liked that I had sitting around in my house waiting for "later," they had lost interest. I don't think you have to do anything formal at this age, but I wouldn't take it out of the rotation, either. Instead, I'd maybe just focus on what they enjoy, whether that's hands on lab work or documentaries or field trips or biographies of interesting scientists. 

Edited by albeto.
  • Like 2

Everyone will have a different response to this, but this is what we did:

No copywork after they could write well.  

Science was informal until high school with my younger two.  I was more formal with my oldest in middle school, but she hated it and never really picked a love for science back up.  Both of my younger two really enjoy science and one is planning on going into forensic science as a career.

Spelling, we stopped using a program around 5th grade.  I just made them correct misspellings in their work after that.  

Our focus shifted into getting a solid math foundation, and learning to write well.  We worked on the formal essay, informal writing, research papers, etc., along with firming up grammar.  IMO those are the most important things to have down well before high school.

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 3

I currently have two 4th graders and one 6th grader. The idea that middle school is just around the corner is freaking me out a bit. This is what we do right now in our homeschoool:

Latin (Getting Started with Latin) - Tuesday, Wednesday (though we've taken a bread since Christmas)

Language for the 4th graders (Intermediate Language Lessons) - Tuesday, Wednesday (mostly oral as they aren't strong in writing yet)

Grammar for 6th grader (Analytical Grammar) - Monday-Friday until first 10 lessons were done, now just 1 review lesson every other week

Reading - everyday

Spelling and Reading for my one 4th grader who needs a little extra help (AAS/AAR) - Monday-Friday (though we've taken a break from this and focused on him reading, reading, reading books)

I feel like I am just trying to "get through the day", with no real joy in it all. I even catch myself telling my kids to just go ahead and get through their work so we can be done with it :( I don't want that. I want them to LOVE learning and be excited about it. I don't want it to be a drag.

I don't know if we are doing too much, not enough, not the right stuff. I started with Abeka years ago, moved to MFW, then to SCM for the last 2 years. I really like CM style, but I get overwhelmed when I look at what is recommeneded on the SCM site. Am I suppose to be doing all of that?? We haven't done music theory, so I was going to add that in this year. We listen to music all the time and they are always playing on the piano. I would love for that to be enough for music. But is it??

Foreign Language...they hated Latin, or at least the one I was doing. So we're on a break from that. Should I be doing formal foreign lang studies with them at their ages? Or wait until high school?

Same with science...my boys (the 4th graders) love science, so I wen with Apologia this year because it looked so fun. My 6th grader commented the other day that it was so boring because all I do is read to them from the book :/ I'm trying to figure out if I need to be doing formal science with her when she gets into 7th grade. Part of me thinks I should scale back on that and just let her enjoy the next 2 years with no formal science. The other part of me wonders if that would hurt her in the long run when she gets in high schoool?

Is doing Analytical Grammar with my 6th grader too much this early? Or is that a good thing to be doing now?

Copywork...when did you stop doing that with your kiddos? My 6th grader doesn't anymore. I think I stopped with her when I realized that she could print or write cursive with no problem on her own. My 4th graders still struggle with cursive, so that's why I've still be doing copywork.

Spelling...My 6th grader and one of my 4th graders are excellent spellers! Sometimes I wonder why I'm doing Spelling Wisdom with them. It doesn't seem to challenge them. I had done Spelling Power with my oldest a couple of years ago. She said she hated it. But now that she's been doing Spelling Wisdom, she's asking to go back to Spelling Power. My struggling reader/speller is in AAS/AAR, but it seems overwhelming for him at times. That's why we have taken a break and just focued on lots and lots of reading. The more he reads, the more fluent he seems (obviously.) I feel like with spelling, you either have it or you don't. I'm not sure he has it. So, should I still pursue a rigorous spelling curriculum, or lay off some?

I've been homeschooling for 7 years now and all of a sudden feel like I don't know what I'm doing! I am questioning everything. I want to streamline things a bit more and make it more enjoyable and more laid back, without compromising their education.

I also don't know how to find that balance for my rising 7th grader...where I allow her to enjoy these last 2 "easier" years before high school or push for her to have all these formal studies.

I hope this made sense. I feel like I'm at a crossroads. I had everything in my cart for SCM and Apologia for next year and now I'm questioning it.

So, for those who have high schoolers and who have been there...what is your advice??

Thank you SO much!

Relax about SCM - if Bible and History are going well, good! Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Music - sounds like enough, but if it works to add outside lessons for music theory you could. 

AG - If it is working for your 6th grader, then perfect.

Copywork - again, sounds like you made a good call.

Spelling - sounds like your 4th grader still needs this, your 6th grader could maybe just edit own work, but again, nothing wrong with laying a solid foundation even for a natural speller.

The only thing I would do differently would be to add some specific writing instruction for the 6th grader. ETA: YMMV, if written narrations are going well.

If you need to add passion to your day, I agree science might be the place to look.

Edited by KathyBC
  • Like 2

Reading - everyday

I edited out part of your post, but left the key list.  If you want honest feedback in terms of how I teach my kids (I have graduated 4 and currently have an 11th grader, 8th grader, 4th grader, and Ker as well), I would not consider what you have listed as a strong academic approach.  Writing, especially, is on the weak side.  In our home, writing is a foundational subject and it has equal priority with math and reading.  While copywork is appropriate for 4th grade writing, it is not appropriate when copywork is being approach as handwriting instead of writing instruction.  Using copywork to teach writing skills is an approach that can be taken. 4th graders need to be mastering basic writing skills in writing.  I'm not sure what your 6th grader is doing for writing.  My kids have at least 1 major writing assignment per week.  I also think that science 2x/week is not really appropriate for middle school.

If you would like to see a general scope and sequence that I have used with my children, I have an old post that loosely describes how my kids progress.  (It is divided into 2 sequential posts at this link http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/239259-bringing-karens-mention-of-essay-writing-to-a-new-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2363522 )

There is no reason to panic or worry.  However, if you feel like you need to make a change, writing is probably where I would start my focus.  Just making a small steps in skill development day by day is all it takes.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 3

I feel like I am just trying to "get through the day", with no real joy in it all. I even catch myself telling my kids to just go ahead and get through their work so we can be done with it  :( I don't want that. I want them to LOVE learning and be excited about it. I don't want it to be a drag.

1. You can't MAKE someone "love to learn" and be excited about it. I spent the first 7 years of homeschooling dancing, juggling, doing all kinds of fun extras trying to make it "fun" and interesting and burned out. I realized then that no matter WHAT I did, DSs would always have the attitude: "Oh, school. Well, if we have to. But we'd rather be Lego-ing or building forts." So, JMO, but consider letting go of the idea that somehow it's up to you to make homeschooling such that they will "love learning and be excited about it". ;)

2. You CAN make changes for YOU so that it's not "just getting through the day with no real joy in it at all". First, are you taking care of you and your needs:

- enough sleep

- good nutrition

- regular exercise

- regularly doing something YOU enjoy

Your children are old enough now that they can safely occupy themselves enough so that you can get your needs taken care of, and you can take time for yourself to "fill your cup" with what brings you joy --scrapbooking, photography, hiking, long bubble baths, gardening, painting, crafting...

In order to get joy back into your day, it has to start with getting your needs filled first -- like on the airplane, they tell you, in case of emergency oxygen need, put your mask on FIRST and THEN turn and help the person next to you. Same thing here: do something each week that brings YOU joy, and THEN work on bringing joy into the school week.

3. re: Joy for DC:

What is your DC's learning style -- if they are hands-on (science experiments and history projects), then just reading Apologia will kill the joy for them, as your DD is telling you. I agree that previous posters -- let science be informal, with lots of kits and hands-on exploration, library books, documentaries/educational videos and websites. (We did not use a formal science program or textbook until 9th grade, and DSs took no harm. ;) ) You can either do interest-led "units", or make a list of topics all loosely based on a single science subject your DC would enjoy (Life Science, Earth Science, Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics), and then take as much or as little time on each sub topic as works for your family. Trust me, you'll have WAY more exposure to Science than most public school children doing this. ;)

4. Another way of bringing love of learning to school:

Exploring personal interests of the DC. I don't see this in your schedule; do they have regular time to fiddle around with hobbies, kits, or free play (solo, but also with other children)? Is getting outside the home regularly with other homeschoolers or friends part of your weekly schedule?

JMO, but I'd consider slightly reorganizing the weekly schedule or plan on a slightly longer school year in order to schedule getting out once a week. Ideas:

- field trip

- nature walk

- social time / park day / PE / activities with other homeschoolers

- involvement with a community group of interest to all (history recreation group, orienteering, volunteering, etc.)

- free activities with your local library

- involvement with 4-H, scouting, etc.

- after school public/private school club: electronics, robotics, chess, etc.

- after school bowling league, book club, or other community activity

- physical activity with others: skateboard park, YMCA membership, sports team, swim team, martial arts or dance class, etc.

- summer "day camp" activities

Reading - everyday

Just translating that to help me see what you week looks like:

5x/week

Bible/History (SCM)
Math (MM)

Reading

LA: Grammar - 6th grader (Analytical Grammar)

LA: Spelling and Reading - 4th grader (AAS/AAR)

2x/week

Science (Apologia) - Mon/Thurs

LA: Copywork - 4th graders  (SCM) - Mon/Thurs

Latin (Getting Started with Latin) - Tues/Wed

LA: Language - 4th graders (Intermediate Language Lessons) - Tues/Wed

LA: Spelling  (SCM Spelling Wisdom) - Tues/Wed

1x/week

No, that doesn't look like too much.

Yes, it looks like you're covering your basics: Bible, Math, Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Grammar, Grammar).

And you're getting in a few extras: History, Science, Latin, Art

How long does a day take you typically? How long are you thinking it should take? For 4th and 6th grades, I would plan on a minimum of 4 hours (4th graders) and 5 hours (6th grader) a day. If it's taking significantly more than that, you might try experimenting with your schedule -- lots of ideas on these boards. :)

Foreign Language...they hated Latin...Should I be doing formal foreign lang... Or wait until high school?

Same with science...my boys (the 4th graders) love science, so I wen with Apologia this year because it looked so fun. My 6th grader commented the other day that it was so boring because all I do is read to them from the book...

Is doing Analytical Grammar with my 6th grader too much this early...

Copywork...when did you stop doing that with your kiddos? ...

Spelling...My 6th grader and one of my 4th graders are excellent spellers! … So, should I still pursue a rigorous spelling curriculum, or lay off some?

Foreign Language:

Drop Latin if it is dragging you all down and clogging up the schedule from having time for Science and projects and outside-the-home educational activities. I tried multiple times to get a Foreign Language into our elementary years; totally failed. We did manage to learn some Greek and Latin roots, though, and that was very useful for Vocabulary and Literature. DSs didn't do Foreign Language until the end of high school and we outsourced it as dual enrollment at the local community college. Worked fine, and didn't regret it. I really don't know your children and your goals well enough to say if that's the route for you -- just letting you know that it can work fine to wait until high school. :)

Science:

It sure sounds like your DC are telling you what would bring some excitement to their day in this area. Consider dropping the Apologia which they say is dull and try going with informal science to revive a love of learning, rather than recreating "school" at home. ;) Again, just our experience, but waiting till high school for a formal science did not hurt our DSs. We did watch loads of science shows though, so they had a lot of information to draw on by high school. We also did a lot of Critical Thinking and Logic.

Copywork:

Same as previous posters -- we stopped when handwriting practice was no longer needed.

Spelling:

Well, I had a remedial speller and an average speller, so we did keep going into high school -- but combined it with Vocabulary and Root study. But many people can drop formal spelling by 6th grade and just practice words misspelled from the Writing, or use Vocabulary words from the Reading as simultaneous informal Spelling/Vocabulary learning.

Grammar:

AG is meant to take 3 years -- what you might do in the future is, instead of doing it intensively for 5x/week, drop to 3x/week (15-20 min at most per a session) and let the lessons take much more of the school year -- only add in the reinforcement/review if needed.

Middle School Scheduling:

Middle school is often your last "window of opportunity" to do unusual activities and explore bunny trails of interest -- high school tends to "lock you down" to fulfilling required credits. So I encourage families to make use of that window and enjoy something you always wanted to try that's off the beaten path. :) That's also very likely to be more joyful to students to get to study something they're interested in...

As far as formal studies/scheduling: you really have to decide on a student-by-student basis. Middle school (7th/8th grades) are the years to solidify your foundational skills, and *if* the student is ready, explore a bit ahead. If at all possible, it's important to have solid basic skills in place: Writing (paragraph writing,  moving into multiple-paragraph papers), and touch typing are the biggies. Also  if ready: beginning exposure to study skills, and some beginning logic/critical thinking to "warm up" for the analysis skills needed in high school Literature, History, and Science.

Hope something there was of help. BEST of luck as you conclude your elementary years and start moving towards middle school! Don't panic! It's actually a lot of fun -- the middle school years were some of my very FAVORITE fun years, as we got involved with extracurriculars, were able to begin discussing things, and were past struggling with trying to acquire the "3Rs"… ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6

If you're feeling stressed, then I'd say go ahead and lighten up.  Each family has different priorities, so I can't tell you exactly what to take out or change.  I can only tell you what we did at that age:

Through 7th grade, our science was lighter and more fun.  We didn't use real heavy, structured curriculum.  If I happened to see a fun unit study workbook that I liked, then Bingo!  That was it!  Maybe it was examining pond life.  Maybe it was studying air travel, starting with insects and then birds and then planes and rockets (which of course included making paper airplanes).  It mostly centered on fun, interesting activities.

I put off any formal foreign language until high school.  If they really wanted to begin something earlier (and some did), I'd get a cheap, colorful workbook plus language songs that they could listen to, and maybe a fun computer related game.  This was done almost completely independently.

We didn't do copywork.  My kids would've been bored stiff with that.

We read interesting short stories or books that I chose, and then I thought up assignments.  Or sometimes it would be a book of short stories that came with short quizzes.  I love reading so I always made sure their stories/books were good and interesting.  I'd try and think of fun projects to do with them, making posters or writing a journal from a character's point of view, etc.

We did 15 minutes of Bible every morning, to begin our day.  History was separate, but that's just how we did it.  Our history involved lots of art projects and creative writing, because that's what we liked to do.  It might even involve cooking.

The only things that just seemed to be drudgery no matter what was math and grammar and spelling.  I never really learned how to spice those up!

• Like 2

The ideas that school should be fun and your school is not adequate if your children don't have a love of learning are false ideas instituted by liberal progressives over the early to mid-1900's. Liberal progressive ideas are the main reasons why public schools are in such a dreadful state.

Go back and look at how school was done in the late 1800's and early 1900's when public school was much higher quality. They did not emphasize fun and love of learning at all costs.

School is hard work. Learning is about diligent effort. Being a home school teacher is a job. My kids work very hard on academics and get rewarded for their achievements. This is how we view school, even in elementary.

Middle school is a time to be more rigorous so that your children will be prepared for high school. You have time, so I don't think you should panic. However if you take the approach that 7th and 8tht grades should be fun years before high school, then I think you will be panicking in 9th grade and beyond.

Edited by Mrs Twain
  • Like 3

I don't have a high schooler yet, but I am in your shoes with a sixth grader that I am trying to prepare for high school level work. My goals for her before high school are:

1. To be a capable writer of expository papers, so she can switch focus to persuasive writing in high school. We are using WWS.

2. To be done with English grammar as a stand-alone subject. We use R&S.

3. To be done with the grammar of foreign language so she can focus on higher-level/AP language studies (she studies Chinese and Latin and will start high school level texts next year)

4. To have had an introduction to literary analysis and be comfortable reading high-school level books - this will be a main focus for us in 7th

5. To have a good knowledge base of various science topics that will allow her to continue her studies at the AP/CC level. This is mostly reading for now, with some videos thrown in.

6. To be familiar with significant historical people/events so she is ready for deeper study - we do WTM-style history

7. To be an independent worker who is capable of managing her time well and completing work before deadlines

Also, she's way ahead in math, but we are working on developing problem solving/perseverance skills and will probably take some detours here and there to build those.

Do you have a copy of the Well Trained Mind? I would encourage you to read through the logic stage section to get a feel for the types of skills/knowledge base you will want to focus on building over the next couple years. Reading through it has been a big help to me even though I don't follow it exclusively.

Edited by lovelearnandlive
  • Like 8

I have a high schooler almost and here are some things I wish I knew :

Math is King. Absolutely nothing else matters as much. Conceptual math matters. Saxon does not work in the current competitive math environment that has changed drastically in the past 20 years. If you have time, money or resources invest in math.

Second to math is composition and eventually writing essays and reports typed so typing is important too

After that is study skills and independence - you have to do stuff you don't Ike, when you don't like it in ways you don't like and that's life. Working towards that little by little is important.

You can let history, and Science be light and fun. It should take very little of your time and resources because those should be invested in math and writing :)

• Like 5

I edited out part of your post, but left the key list.  If you want honest feedback in terms of how I teach my kids (I have graduated 4 and currently have an 11th grader, 8th grader, 4th grader, and Ker as well), I would not consider what you have listed as a strong academic approach.  Writing, especially, is on the weak side.  In our home, writing is a foundational subject and it has equal priority with math and reading.  While copywork is appropriate for 4th grade writing, it is not appropriate when copywork is being approach as handwriting instead of writing instruction.  Using copywork to teach writing skills is an approach that can be taken. 4th graders need to be mastering basic writing skills in writing.  I'm not sure what your 6th grader is doing for writing.  My kids have at least 1 major writing assignment per week.  I also think that science 2x/week is not really appropriate for middle school.

If you would like to see a general scope and sequence that I have used with my children, I have an old post that loosely describes how my kids progress.  (It is divided into 2 sequential posts at this link http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/239259-bringing-karens-mention-of-essay-writing-to-a-new-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2363522 )

There is no reason to panic or worry.  However, if you feel like you need to make a change, writing is probably where I would start my focus.  Just making a small steps in skill development day by day is all it takes.

Thank you for the feedback! Writing is definitely something I'm realizing that we need to focus on! She is a good writer and does a lot on her own (not really school related), but I think I need to make it more of a priority in our homeschool. Do you recommend a certain curriculum/program for that? I'm not sure what to require of her at this stage.

You mentioned that this doesn't look academically strong. Is that just because of the writing? Also, you think 2 days of science is too much or not enough?

Thank you!

3. re: Joy for DC:

What is your DC's learning style -- if they are hands-on (science experiments and history projects), then just reading Apologia will kill the joy for them, as your DD is telling you. I agree that previous posters -- let science be informal, with lots of kits and hands-on exploration, library books, documentaries/educational videos and websites. (We did not use a formal science program or textbook until 9th grade, and DSs took no harm. ;) ) You can either do interest-led "units", or make a list of topics all loosely based on a single science subject your DC would enjoy (Life Science, Earth Science, Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics), and then take as much or as little time on each sub topic as works for your family. Trust me, you'll have WAY more exposure to Science than most public school children doing this. ;)

This is where I have a hard time knowing what to do. My oldest definitely doesn't like "just" being read to. She feels it's wasting time and she's bored. But my younger two have really enjoyed Apologia, the reading along with the journals for that. But I would love to do science altogether instead of doing two different things. I talked with them this morning. My boys said they would also love doing field trips, nature walks, science shows, experiements for science, even though they were liking Apologia. So, I guess we'll go that route for now. It's hard when the kids have different learning styles :/

4. Another way of bringing love of learning to school:

Exploring personal interests of the DC. I don't see this in your schedule; do they have regular time to fiddle around with hobbies, kits, or free play (solo, but also with other children)? Is getting outside the home regularly with other homeschoolers or friends part of your weekly schedule?

JMO, but I'd consider slightly reorganizing the weekly schedule or plan on a slightly longer school year in order to schedule getting out once a week. Ideas:

- field trip

- nature walk

- social time / park day / PE / activities with other homeschoolers

- involvement with a community group of interest to all (history recreation group, orienteering, volunteering, etc.)

- free activities with your local library

- involvement with 4-H, scouting, etc.

- after school public/private school club: electronics, robotics, chess, etc.

- after school bowling league, book club, or other community activity

- physical activity with others: skateboard park, YMCA membership, sports team, swim team, martial arts or dance class, etc.

- summer "day camp" activities

Good, good advice! Thank you!

We do get in lots of other things during the week. We school year round because I like that it gives us that flexibility. We have a homeschool co-op we attend, do community outreaches regularly, dance, tae kwon do, and lots of field trips. I didn't even think to include all that on my list :)

Also, you mentioned a minimum of 4 hours for 4th graders and 5 for 6th graders. This is where I'm feeling like we fall short. Some days it does take us that long. But that's usually if they aren't focused. If they are focused and do their work in a timely manner, school usually only takes us about 3-3.5 hours. Is that not enough? I hear of school taking longer for some and wonder if I'm missing something. So here I am, trying to streamline things and make them better, but it almost seems as if I'll be cutting time. We were doing Bible, math, reading, and grammar every day. The rest were only a few days a week, so I could alternate.

History was separate, but that's just how we did it.  Our history involved lots of art projects and creative writing, because that's what we liked to do.  It might even involve cooking.

Did you use a certain history program? This sounds like something my kids would like so much more than what we're doing now.

I have a high schooler almost and here are some things I wish I knew :

Math is King. Absolutely nothing else matters as much. Conceptual math matters. Saxon does not work in the current competitive math environment that has changed drastically in the past 20 years. If you have time, money or resources invest in math.

Second to math is composition and eventually writing essays and reports typed so typing is important too

After that is study skills and independence - you have to do stuff you don't Ike, when you don't like it in ways you don't like and that's life. Working towards that little by little is important.

You can let history, and Science be light and fun. It should take very little of your time and resources because those should be invested in math and writing :)

I love this! We do Math Mammoth now and I feel like it is a strong curriculum. But my oldest is only 6th grade so I honestly don't know if it is preparing her well for high school math. Do you happen to know? Is there a math you recommend?

I do like what you said about having to do stuff you don't like. I was just telling my kids that. While I do want to try to make certain subjects, and school in general, enjoyable, I also realize that they won't like every single thing we do. And I'm ok with that. What I don't want to do is make it so miserable that I kill their love for learning. That's a balance I think, one I'm not sure I'm doing well with.

-----

I'm learning more and more that I really need to focus on writing. Does anyone have a particular program they recommend for that at this age or do I just have her write?

As far as critical thinking and logic that I see get mentioned a lot, what does this look like in your homeschools? Do you have a program? Do you just talk through things? I'm not sure we've really focused on that either at this point.

Yep, I have a lot to pray about and decide. I think I definitely need to do some tweaking for next year. I feel like I'm starting homeschool all over for the first time again. lol

I sure hope I don't mess this up! :/

Thanks for all of the amazing advice!

• Like 1

I can see all the names for your quotes. :-)

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a 6th grader too and am starting to think ahead to high school. I would love high school to rigorous and classical in style. I'm just trying to figure out if that's because that's what I wish my high school experience had been or if it's because that is truly best for my DD. Maybe she doesn't need classical? But maybe she does? Regardless of what our high school ends up looking like, we have two years and some work to do to get ready.

... you mentioned a minimum of 4 hours for 4th graders and 5 for 6th graders. This is where I'm feeling like we fall short. Some days it does take us that long. But that's usually if they aren't focused. If they are focused and do their work in a timely manner, school usually only takes us about 3-3.5 hours. Is that not enough? I hear of school taking longer for some and wonder if I'm missing something...

Not at all -- I was assuming with the extra LA support for one student, and having a total of 3 students, that it would take a bit longer. But if you don't have dawdlers/dreamers, school can be finished pretty quickly! :) I would be a bit concerned about finishing 6th grade in 3-3.5 hours -- mostly because I didn't see much in the way of writing in schedule, and 6th is a grade where you can really be forging ahead strongly in Writing, plus knocking out learning to touch type, and working in some beginning Logic / critical thinking to help develop analysis skills for middle/high school Literature, Writing, Science, and History. :)

1.  Yes, Math Mammoth is EXCELLENT. It covers all the conceptual topics you need.  It is very rigorous and advanced.  Our math coach/tutor recommends MM and Singapore followed by, ideally, AOPS if the kids can handle it but there are other good choices for high school such as the Dolciani books.

2.  For writing, I think the biggest thing is to keep doing it and assign more and more of it.  Assign a little writing in other subjects whenever you can.  In fact, I know this goes against TWTM but we are focusing way less on grammar and way more on writing.  A good foreign language course (whether you choose to pursue it now or later) will cover a lot of grammar, and your kids need to have a foundational basis.  But, they really don't need to have it all memorized, chanted, drilled and diagrammed.  Easy Grammar will suffice.  

My son used Calvert for most of middle school, so I can't recommend that as the packages are too expensive.  Even though they say they will separate the writing out this coming school year I still cannot recommend it for the price.  My daughter used BJU and we have LOVED it.  She will transition from BJU Grammar/Writing to Hewitt Lightening Lit which covers a TON of composition.  With BJU every step is worked out for the kids in a page of the book, so as you assign pages you are perfectly assigning them to walk through the entire writing process.  I absolutely love it.  What we have done this year as the BJU grammar has gotten really heavy is do half of the grammar and all of the writing (Thereby skipping all the grammar chapters in the second half of the book)  My daughter is also assigned a Research Report once a month as part of an oral report group and she is also assigned one 3 paragraph mini report for History once a week.  She has also learned to type and the speed of typing has made all the difference. Now she loves to write.  Also, I give her freedom within reason.  If she really is excited about a topic similar to what's assigned in the BJU but not exactly, I will give her that freedom so that she can be excited about it.

I don't think it really matters what curriculum you use, so long as you keep them writing constantly, and try to make it fun and not overbearing.  :o)

• Like 2

I don't have a high schooler yet, but I am in your shoes with a sixth grader that I am trying to prepare for high school level work. My goals for her before high school are:

1. To be a capable writer of expository papers, so she can switch focus to persuasive writing in high school. We are using WWS.

2. To be done with English grammar as a stand-alone subject. We use R&S.

3. To be done with the grammar of foreign language so she can focus on higher-level/AP language studies (she studies Chinese and Latin and will start high school level texts next year)

4. To have had an introduction to literary analysis and be comfortable reading high-school level books - this will be a main focus for us in 7th

5. To have a good knowledge base of various science topics that will allow her to continue her studies at the AP/CC level. This is mostly reading for now, with some videos thrown in.

6. To be familiar with significant historical people/events so she is ready for deeper study - we do WTM-style history

7. To be an independent worker who is capable of managing her time well and completing work before deadlines

Also, she's way ahead in math, but we are working on developing problem solving/perseverance skills and will probably take some detours here and there to build those.

Do you have a copy of the Well Trained Mind? I would encourage you to read through the logic stage section to get a feel for the types of skills/knowledge base you will want to focus on building over the next couple years. Reading through it has been a big help to me even though I don't follow it exclusively.

This is really helpful.  I have a 6th grader and I'm constantly worried about the looming HS!  It's nice to put middle school in perspective this way, so I can prioritize our time. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have a sixth grader, and no advice. Just wanted to let you know that you definitely aren't alone in your worries. I woke up suddenly a few nights back freaking out about school so I've been on the board a lot more often lately while I'm trying to articulate my worries. Just don't wanna mess this up!

I hear ya. I should be sleeping right now but I've been up for hours freaking out about science for upcoming 7th grader. Tomorrow it will probably be math.

Edited by Sweetpeasmom
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not at all -- I was assuming with the extra LA support for one student, and having a total of 3 students, that it would take a bit longer. But if you don't have dawdlers/dreamers, school can be finished pretty quickly! :) I would be a bit concerned about finishing 6th grade in 3-3.5 hours -- mostly because I didn't see much in the way of writing in schedule, and 6th is a grade where you can really be forging ahead strongly in Writing, plus knocking out learning to touch type, and working in some beginning Logic / critical thinking to help develop analysis skills for middle/high school Literature, Writing, Science, and History. :)

That makes sense! And you're right, we don't have much writing for my 6th grader right now :/ I've just recently realized that I really need to focus on that a lot more!

Is there a good typing program? I've let her try a free one online but not sure if there are better ones?

Logic/critical thinking...what would you recommend for that? A certain curriculum or just getting her talking through things?

Thank you!!

1.  Yes, Math Mammoth is EXCELLENT. It covers all the conceptual topics you need.  It is very rigorous and advanced.  Our math coach/tutor recommends MM and Singapore followed by, ideally, AOPS if the kids can handle it but there are other good choices for high school such as the Dolciani books.

2.  For writing, I think the biggest thing is to keep doing it and assign more and more of it.  Assign a little writing in other subjects whenever you can.  In fact, I know this goes against TWTM but we are focusing way less on grammar and way more on writing.  A good foreign language course (whether you choose to pursue it now or later) will cover a lot of grammar, and your kids need to have a foundational basis.  But, they really don't need to have it all memorized, chanted, drilled and diagrammed.  Easy Grammar will suffice.  

I don't think it really matters what curriculum you use, so long as you keep them writing constantly, and try to make it fun and not overbearing.  :o)

Thank you for this! This helps so much!

... we don't have much writing for my 6th grader right now :/ I've just recently realized that I really need to focus on that a lot more!

Is there a good typing program? I've let her try a free one online but not sure if there are better ones?

Logic/critical thinking...what would you recommend for that? A certain curriculum or just getting her talking through things?

Writing

Lots and lots to choose from, depending on what you think will match up with your DD's learning type and interests. If she already does a lot of creative writing, you might just want to provide more time for that, and a little at a time add in some other types of more traditional "academic" writing. If she needs some Composition (formal instruction in Writing), that's when it gets interesting to try and match her up with something that's a good fit for HER -- just a few ideas to get you started:

Writing With Ease/Writing With Skill series by SWB

Jump In by Sharon Watson

IEW materials by Andrew Pudewa

Write Shop

Essentials in Writing -- video lessons on DVD

Killgallon's Paragraphs for Middle School

Brave Writer: Partnership Writing, or, Faltering Ownership

Wordsmith series: Wordsmith Apprentice (gr. 4-6) and Wordsmith (gr. 6-8)

Galore Park: Writing

Typing

Well, we were "of the stone age" (LOL) and used an old "learn to type" book designed typewriters! But now that there is SO much more out there (designed for actual computer keyboards!!), go with what "clicks" for YOUR student. :) Lots of people mention having good success with Dance Mat… And hopefully others will jump in with ideas if that one doesn't work out for you.

Logic/Critical Thinking

We really like the Blast Off With Logic series (Logic Countdown; Logic Lift Off; Orbiting with Logic). A similar series is the Logic Safari books.

We also liked the Dale Seymour books: Critical Thinking Activities in Patterns, Imagery, and Logic -- there are 3 levels (gr. K-3) (gr. 4-6) (gr. 7-12), and your 6th grader right at the edge between 2 levels, so maybe try the gr. 4-6 level to get her started and you can always use it on the next sibling. ;)

Some of the Critical Thinking Press books are good at that age: Dr. Funster Think-A-Minutes and Creative Thinking Puzzlers; Think-a-Grams; Mind Benders (or the less expensive version: Perplexors); Red Herrings.

Reading "who dunnits" and mini-mystery collections helps to sharpen observation and deduction skills: Encyclopedia Brown (Sobol), 2-minute mysteries series (Sobol), Dr. Quicksolve series (Sukach), You Be The Jury series (Miller), mini-mystery collections by Hy Conrad or Stan Smith, etc.

And games to enjoy on Family Game Nights that use Logic and Strategy are great fun and really help develop those logic and critical thinking skills:

- Mastermind

- Forbidden Island

- Set

- Duo

- Clue

- Sleuth

- 221B Baker Street

- Checkers

- Chess

- Quarto

- Tetrus

- The Secret Door

- Scan (old Parker Brothers game, often available on ebay)

• Like 1