Menu

Charleston, SC

We want to do VRBO.  What area (beach) do you recommend staying at.  Two of my kids love to go shelling.  Also, we plan to do a plantation, Fort Sumter, and the slave market.  Any good biking trails/rides near Charleston?  Any other great things to do/see that you would recommend?  Restaurants that are not too pricey?  Kids ages are 15, 13, 13, and 11.   

Thanks,

Mary

I really like Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms. It has bike trails, beachfront, pools, and tennis courts.

Boone Hall Plantation is in Mount Pleasant, which is between the Isle of Palms and Charleston.

Sullivan's Island is close to the Isle of Palms and has Fort Moutrie. Also there is Poe's, which a fabulous burger place.

You can get package deals for Fort Sumter that let you in the aquarium and some other places. I haven't been to the aquarium in a long time, so I can't advise about the worth of it. The market has really changed. A lot of the building have been enclosed, so you don't get the big open air feel with tons of people haggling that it used to have. There lots lots of churches, and the slave mart museum isn't too far. There are lots of shops around it as well.

Restaurants are tricky. There are so many good ones. Some people like Hyman's, which is close to the market. It's very touristy and I think the seafood there is gross. I would recommend splurging for good seafood for one meal. (Unless you're from an eastcoast beach area.)

If you do get a condo near mount pleasant, there is a fresh seafood place (shack) when you cross from mount pleasant to

Sullivan's. Don't go on the isle of palms connector though. Take the road near Coleman Blvd. You can always cook your seafood.

Edited by Jan in SC
  • Like 2

I'm not sure about shelling, but in general I don't think you'd go wrong choosing either Isle of Palms or Folly Beach.

For biking check out James Island County Park, which is about a 15 minute drive from the historic district (maybe 20 depending on traffic).  There's a very nice trail all around the park.  They also have a splash park and a climbing wall if you're interested in those (and one of the nicest dog parks I've ever seen).  There's a campground there, and since we travel in an RV this is where we stay whenever we go to Charleston.

• Like 1

Isle of Palms is fantastic! We had a great time there one morning last summer.

Make sure you see Rainbow Row. Waterfront Park with the Pineapple Fountain is fun. And White Point Garden and the Battery is amazing! If you have time to walk through the Market, and watch the sweetgrass basket weavers at work (and talk to them if they're not too busy), that's also a lot of fun.

If you like architecture, this is a great intersection to see some significant buildings. And there are so many gorgeous churches, and the churchyards are like a history lesson!

We only went out for one meal, to Fleet Landing, and it was a little pricey, but it was delicious!

After last year, Charleston is one of my favorite cities...I'd love to go back someday!

• Like 1

Hyman's Seafood! YUM! And, for fun, famous people are recognized by a nameplate at the spot on the table where they enjoyed

their meal!

Take a historical tour and find the oldest "colonial" house dated to the mid-1600's if my memory is correct.

The Market. Remember! The baskets are pretty but expensive. I agree with Battery Row.

Jan, I like Hyman's but am open to another suggestion. Where would you recommend for great seafood?

Make sure you walk along the Battery ( beautiful walk along the great houses of Charleston, and the Battery park, along the ocean) downtown, and then wind your way around to the pier to sit on the swings for a few minutes and then head downtown to see The Market, and Rainbow Row.

Folly Beach is more of a local hangout for beaches, and less pretentious, but Mt. Pleasant is nice too.

Stop at the candy stores around the market. There's a couple ones that make fudge, and pralines, they hand out samples and they are oh so good! I liked Provost Dungeon a lot- it's connected to the Market. Make sure to visit the Customs house downtown, climb the steps and go inside for a few minutes. The Notebook was filmed inside of it.

Magnolia plantation is my favorite as its so pretty, Boone Hall is nice.

For Authentic Southern I would go with Jestines Kitchen downtown. It's a small, hole in the wall type place, and not expensive. I would skip Hymans- it's really overrated, the foods lousy most of the time, and too touristy.

Also- not to miss is Cypress Gardens. It's 20 minutes North of Charleston and is a must see! The Notebook was filmed there (scene with the swans and the boat) as well as The Patriot and many more. Absolutely breathtaking.

Edited by NatureMomma
  • Like 1

Oh- we also like to do the walking tours. You can buy a little booklet for a few dollars at the visitors center, (which is in an old train depot, and very cool) and take a walking tour of the old houses. It starts you at the market place and you see all the amazing houses and takes you near the battery. There's some hidden gems like Pirates Courtyard.

There's also a church right near the market, I think it's the oldest in Charleston, or one the the oldest, there's a couple signers of the Constitution buried in the graveyard there, as well as some well known historical figures, and its interesting to walk through.

Edited by NatureMomma

I would skip Hymans and go to Jestines as previously recommended or Hominy Grill. 

Fort Sumter is great for a harbor view but I think Fort Moultrie at Sullivan's Island is quite interesting too.  See the dorky film there--it is informative.  And then have lunch/dinner at Poe's Tavern before you leave Sullivan's Island.

For me Charleston is a fun place for walking.  The cemeteries are fascinating. 

• Like 1

I like Sullivan's a lot.

I would highly recommend Drayton Hall as the plantation of choice. It's totally preserved (not restored).  Hauntingly beautiful.  I have been going since I was a child (my paternal family is from Charleston; Dad lives there now in the ancestral house!).  It's just quiet and special.

I will say that the tour guides aren't what they used to be.  Back in the heyday, there was a guide named Bob Barker (really!).  He was the only guide who never knew as much history as my grandmother.  The last one we had, a couple of years ago, didn't do nearly as good a job. But it's still a wonderful place. 

Eat at Hominy Grill!  Out on hwy 17 there's also Bessinger's BBQ--the onion ring alone is worth the drive.  Last time we were in the city we went to Fleet Landing.  It was good.  If you want to part with some cash, go to Husk. 

Spend at least one solid afternoon poking around downtown, south of Broad St.  You will be charmed!

• Like 1