Menu

What are you doing for 9th grade?

Forester's Algebra 2. I have the book. That is not the exact name.

AoP Counting and Probability

Oak Meadow Biology

Outsourced World History and Lit. They use Notgrass as a textbook, but, they use a lot more than that.

Memoria Press Latin

WTMacademy Prep Rhetoric

I am going to see if he wants to try to prep for the AP World History exam.

Oh yeah, I have Bluedorn's two logic books, but he wants to use the ones from Memoria Press. We will see. Maybe. If we have time. I don't want stress.

He also does painting and piano and karate. I am hoping to get in some art appreciation next year.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

English: WWS2, MCT Magic Lens & WWW1; reading list (still compiling) and essays to read and discuss (various authors)

Math: Calculus 2 (outsourced locally)

Science: AP Chem (PA Homeschoolers online)

Geography: BJU Press - skipping the tests and instead having an oral presentation each month on selected topics. Hope to record these so he can self-evaluate.
German: Logisch 2, plus various readings & movie watching

Is it okay to have just 5 credits?  Or do I need to find something else to add?  I think it will already be pretty intense...

• Like 1

English: WWS2, MCT Magic Lens & WWW1; reading list (still compiling) and essays to read and discuss (various authors)

Math: Calculus 2 (outsourced locally)

Science: AP Chem (PA Homeschoolers online)

Geography: BJU Press - skipping the tests and instead having an oral presentation each month on selected topics. Hope to record these so he can self-evaluate.

German: Logisch 2, plus various readings & movie watching

Is it okay to have just 5 credits?  Or do I need to find something else to add?  I think it will already be pretty intense...

Could you split English into two classes, Literature and Composition, for two credits?

• Like 4

Integrated Literature and History:  Pandia Press Ancients and HOTAW (the readings only), combined with Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature and a few TC lectures. 

Math:  Saxon Algebra II

Science:  Honors biology (either Miller Levine or Campbell Reece)

Latin:  Memoria Press 3rd Form

French:  With tutor (Vallette & Vallette text)

Equine Science: Hands-on at the barn, along with some text/readings I haven't decided on yet. 

Yeah, she's a busy girl.

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

current plan:

1   Alg2 (AoPS Intro Alg)

.5  NumTheory (AoPS NumTheory)

1   Chem

1   English (test undecided)

1   German (text undecided)

1   History (HotMW)

.5  Theatre/Voice

1   PE(Swimming)

so that's 5.5 'academic' units, .5 for performing arts and 1 for PE (CA says you need two years of PE to graduate.)

That said...because none of the above (excepting possibly German, if we decide to go to the CC for that) are accredited classes they won't satisfy a-g.  I expect we'll attempt to use tests to satisfy a-g (with the exception of geometry which you can't test out of, and Vis/PerfArts, where I don't know what we'll do yet).

• Like 1

• SCM Early Modern History--.5 world history, .5 American history
  • SCM Visits to North America--.25 geography credit (I'll count this as a full credit after 4 years)
  • Apologia Physical Science--1 science credit
  • English--SCM Literature selections (Hobbit/LOTR, Innocence of Father Brown, Where the Red Fern Grows), Beyond the Book Report seasons 1 & 2, possibly Our Mother Tongue if I feel she needs more grammar, English From the Roots Up--1 English credit total
  • MUS--I'm hoping to get to Algebra, but she may only get through Pre-Algebra next year.  My goal is for her to make it through Algebra II and possibly add statistics or MUS's Stewardship course for 12th grade.
  • Foreign Language-- Visual Latin 1, Rosetta Stone Spanish
  • Piano lessons for music performance credit (1 or .5 credit, we may log practice time & lesson time for this credit)
  • Artistic Pursuits--1 art studio credit
  • Harmony Fine Arts-- will eventually be a full art appreciation credit (and possible music appreciation credit) at the end of 4 years.
  • Bible--I have no idea how many credits this will work out too
  • PE--I plan on having her keep a physical activity log to track credits here.  I'm thinking swimming, biking, treadmill, trampoline, fishing/canoeing, etc.  Basically anything active she does!

We are CM homeschoolers and I plan on continuing with our "morning time" subjects I may come up with additional credits at the end of 4 years if any of these add up to an additional credit or .5 credit.  Some will probably just count towards her other credits.  Shakespeare for English, Folksong for music appreciation, picture study for art appreciation, nature study for science, etc.

Edited by Holly
  • Like 4

I still have days when I want to register my DD13 in the nearest public school :) Other days are spent trying to figure out how to tackle this whole highschool project.

Current plans:

Math:   continue AOPS. It will probably be Algebra 2. Geometry is halfway done, but I am not sure, I may have her do UC Scouts Geometry or CC HS recovery credit class, which is   individual and has a flexible schedule. This is entirely for UC system,

Science: hopefully Intro to Chemistry in CC. We'll see how it goes and then decide what to do for the spring semester.

History: She is studying US History now. We will probably do a summer semester of US History 1850s - current with an SAT subject in October.

Either Ancients or Ancients/Medieval history, with an SAT subject test at the end of 10-beginning of 11 grade. We may consider an AP, too.

English: Still working on that. Something with studying epics.

French: continue working with the tutor.

Russian: I want her to take the Russian placement test in UC, which will cover the requirement, but I also want to to do something to confirm her French, so either SAT or AP or DE   later. For this year I want to start studying Russian classics in Russian. Probably an analog to a Russian school literature course with less writing.

PE: fencing

Fine Arts: DE art course seems to be the easiest. I will try to enroll her this summer. A 3 credit course can count as a year, right? UC seems to agree :)

Edited by OlgaLA
  • Like 3

I don't try to do a-g (this is a requirement of the University of CA/Cal State system, so if you aren't a CA resident you don't have to worry about it). We will do some SAT subject and AP tests, and we will do DE. If my kids really want to go to a UC as freshmen, they will need to go the testing route. Otherwise they can transfer from the CC to a UC school.  I figure looking at the a-g requirements leads you to things like that list of acceptable textbooks you posted on another thread, OP, and if I was going to jump through all those hoops, why not just send my kids to public school? The whole point of homeschooling for us is to give them a more personalized, interest-led (while still rigorous & college prep) educational experience. Trying to fit the a-g mold at home would completely defeat that purpose.

So here's our 9th grade plan:

Geometry

Spanish 2

English - Ancient Literature/Great Books, Rhetoric & composition

History - Ancient History/Great Books

Environmental Science w/ Lab

Integrated Health & Fitness (OM syllabus)

Elective: Creative Writing (this will be however many credits it ends up being based on time spent)

Extracurriculars: Horseback Riding & Theater

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 7

I'm in Canada so our requirements are much different than those in the US. Right now, my 9th grade plans look like:

TT - finish Alg. 1 (don't think we'll quite finish this year) and move to MUS Geometry (I want lighter on proofs)

Wordsmith Craftsman Writing to the Point, then various essays, written narrations and one research paper

LLATL Gold - some of the World book to line up with history, some American, and a lot of other books for literature to just read I am just handing this kid a book list.

Apologia Biology - unless he tells me that he wants to do something else, in which case we'll do bio in 10th

Notgrass Exploring World History - I'm splitting this up over 3 years and adding to it, so we'll do the Ancient section

World geography - I want to do like Holly and add this up to 1 credit over 4 years.

Bible

I will probably loosely keep track of physical activity and end up giving him credit for PE at some point.

Edited by hollyhock
  • Like 2

Fine Arts: DE art course seems to be the easiest. I will try to enroll her this summer. A 3 credit course can count as a year, right? UC seems to agree :)

Go to the UC Doorways A-G course list site, enter the name of the community college and see if the course she wants to DE fulfills the Fine Arts requirement. Yes, I've heard that many CA high schools count 3+ DE units as one year of high school (10 HS credits is the system ours uses, not 1 HS credit, but both mean similar things). But to be sure, go to your local high school's website. See if they have an online course catalog and graduation requirements reference and see what they say there about counting DE as HS credits. Or call them! :001_smile:

I don't try to do a-g (this is a requirement of the University of CA/Cal State system, so if you aren't a CA resident you don't have to worry about it). We will do some SAT subject and AP tests, and we will do DE. If my kids really want to go to a UC as freshmen, they will need to go the testing route. Otherwise they can transfer from the CC to a UC school.  I figure looking at the a-g requirements leads you to things like that list of acceptable textbooks you posted on another thread, OP, and if I was going to jump through all those hoops, why not just send my kids to public school? The whole point of homeschooling for us is to give them a more personalized, interest-led (while still rigorous & college prep) educational experience. Trying to fit the a-g mold at home would completely defeat that purpose.

Wish I could triple like this Rose!

• Like 3

I have my first high schooler this year.  :scared: I can barely believe it!

I've just started planning for her next school year, so this is a really rough plan. She is behind in writing skills, so we're shoring those up this year. Hopefully, she'll be doing well with writing more than in WWS next year.

English credit: Writing With Skill 2, All About Spelling 7 (possibly will need to finish 6), Literature 

Science credit: she wants to do Geology, which I've seen that Build Your Library 9 may include. If we do BYL, it will include history & lit as well

Social Studies: .5 credit Political Science (No ideas what I'll do here, but with the elections coming up, she wants to study it more indepth), BYL prehistory if we go BYL 9

Foreign Language: Spanish, possibly at the cc if she qualifies

Math: Geometry, probably Teaching Textbooks, since Geometry is not my math strong suit, and I can borrow from a friend.

Elective: .5 PE, likely adding voice lessons as well as chorus participation (likely not enough for a credit this year)

I have to see BYL 9 in order to figure out the credits. If BYL isn't what I'm looking for, she'll need at least .5 credit in social studies, some sort of Geology, and I'll need to finalize my book list for literature. I need to figure something out for Political Science, since that is her biggest area of interest. She'll have to request early entry to the cc, and from what I've heard, they don't like to take kids until they're 16, so we may have to figure something else out. 

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 2

So here's our 9th grade plan:

Geometry

Spanish 2

English - Ancient Literature/Great Books, Rhetoric & composition

History - Ancient History/Great Books

Environmental Science w/ Lab

Integrated Health & Fitness (OM syllabus)

Elective: Creative Writing (this will be however many credits it ends up being based on time spent)

Extracurriculars: Horseback Riding & Theater

Yes, we have looked into this and prayed about it and read every book on the topic and asked all the people IRL and here...and on and on...and come to the same conclusion as Chrysalis.  If my kids want to go to a UC or CalState they will go the Admission by Examination Route which requires a high score on SAT plus 2 good scores on SAT SUbject Exams, preferably in the area of interest for the major.  

Our cc's where I live are too overcrowded.  You can't get your DE courses even if you want.  (Unless, apparently, you take Japanese which isn't usually full and therefore your student will get the class).  My son has enough on his plate without learning Japanese.   :o)  However, you can take the CHSPE and just pay for the courses yourself, and as long as you take less than a certain number of total credits you can still graduate as a Freshman instead of a Transfer student.

So, that's our plan.   :o)

For 9th: at this time:

AOPS Geometry   Either Foerster's or Chalkdust

World History and Literature (with MFW 10th grade course)

Apologia Biology with MFW Guides

Landry Academy German 1 

PA Homeschoolers AP Computer Science

Swimming as PE elective

Clay Sculpting to fulfill FIne Arts Elective 

We have already purchased all of the above including online classes. However, I would like to get him into one more online class either for Biology or Composition but cannot decide which and funds are tight for now, so I will think on whether either one is neccessary and go from there.

**for those interested we chose Landry over TPS because Landry is live, and you can see and hear the teacher.  Landry doesn't have such strict requirements for pre-requisites.  THeir customer service was friendlier and their website more accessible and their online learning system MUCH better and less intrusive to your own laptop/computer.  Landry is more expensive but I really feel having a positive friendly experience is worth a little extra money.

**We had to get special approval for my son to take AP COmp Sci. with PA Homeschoolers.

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 4

First of all, I don't even know what grade my son is in anymore, but it will be 9th by age so here is the current plan, which could change at any moment:

Math: Finish Derek Owens precalculus and start calculus

English: Finish ancient/medieval lit and OYAN and start British lit with comp using the Allyn & Bacon Guide to Writing

History: 500-1914 with Ways of the World

Science: Physics at the public high school

Foreign language: Japanese at the public high school--if I have my way he will also finish the third year of German with his tutor.  But I seem to be having my way less and less these days.

Electives and extracurriculars at the public high school

ETA:  Plans change.  See signature.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 4

Still working on next year (9th grade) but this is what we are considering so far...

- Pre-Calculus~ (not sure which program yet)

- English~ Continue with writing tutor, readings through Well Educated Mind or AP English Lit. (undecided yet if want to wait on AP until next year or not)

- Science~ Chemistry or Psychology (my plan was Chem. then dd said she was interested in Psych. hmmmm)

- Languages~ Irish Gaelic and French

- World History~ Medieval History (finishing up Ancients by June this year) with art history

- AP Music Theory

- PE (working out at gym), continue music lessons

• Like 2

Still working on next year (9th grade) but this is what we are considering so far...

- English~ Continue with writing tutor, readings through Well Educated Mind or AP English Lit. (undecided yet if want to wait on AP until next year or not)

- Science~ Chemistry or Psychology (my plan was Chem. then dd said she was interested in Psych. hmmmm)

- World History~ Medieval History (finishing up Ancients by June this year) with art history

- AP Music Theory

Donna, psych would fall under social science, not physical/natural science.

• Like 3

- AP Music Theory

What are you using for medieval history?

• Like 1

English- Eil, vocab from Classical roots, SWI-B CC

Algebra 1- Math without Borders & Foerester's

Biology w/lab- CK12

Modern History- History Odyssey

German 2-GaVS

Band

That will give her 6 credits. We're considering P.E. and photography as electives which would give her 2 additional 1/2 credits.

It took me until now to decide what I even want to teach and when.  The next two months is when I'll finalize my curriculum choices now that I know what classes we're doing.

A.  I know we'll study these three subjects, but have not yet even begun choosing curriculum:

English

Geometry

World History or World Geography

B.  Over the summer, I'm going to do 1/4 of a credit in these subjects as electives, and I have some dim ideas of what resources I can use, but it's still in the early planning stages.  They're only 1/4 of a credit because we will study 1/2 of the class this summer and the other 1/2 next summer, in a block schedule way. 

Home Ec (sewing, basic car repair, basic cooking skills, basic plumbing/household machinery skills, basic cleaning skills)  No specific books/plan yet

Photography--will start with the Fundamentals of Photography Great Course as a starting point, but I haven't started crafting the class beyond that.

It will take us 2 summers to complete those classes. These are really just for fun, but if I use official sounding resources and teach them deliberately, we can get credit for them.  Woot!

C.  For these last three, I know what we're doing, somewhat:

Spanish--at a co-op with a teacher who taught Spanish in schools.  I like the idea of learning a language in a classroom setting. My hope is that it'll stick a bit more if he has a chance to converse with classmates.  I hope.

Astronomy elective--using the Understanding the Universe Great Course as a spine, but adding other books (don't know which ones yet, but have a list to choose from.)  Just bought the Great Course tonight.

Ancient Egypt elective--using the History of Ancient Egypt Great Course as a starting point, but adding other books (don't know which ones yet, but have a list to choose from.)  Just bought the Great Course tonight.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Yeah I wish I had more options. But my stepdaughters are stuck in a charter school for legal purposes and we are doing a-g to show that we are challenging them plenty and if they want to transfer to reg high school then they can. 

But just found out that CC won't accept students until 10th grade in our area. Sigh.

• Like 3

Yeah I wish I had more options. But my stepdaughters are stuck in a charter school for legal purposes and we are doing a-g to show that we are challenging them plenty and if they want to transfer to reg high school then they can. 

But just found out that CC won't accept students until 10th grade in our area. Sigh.

Oh, I'm sorry, that's a tough situation to be in.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

History of the Ancient World

Ancient Literature--stack of books & a mix of Great Courses lectures + WEM-inspired discussions on Fridays

Geometry--a mix of Math-U-See and Koeberlein

Artistic Pursuits Senior High Book 1 (drawing)

Spanish--Breaking the Barrier + conversations with native speakers

Biology--Campbell Concepts + labs from here: http://www.thehomescientist.com/biology.html

Logic--Art of Deduction for a partial credit

Ds is also taking an outside 1 hr New Testament class M-F at 6:00 am. I'm not sure if I'm going to count it on his transcript or not, but if he wants to attend a church sponsored university, four years of early morning religious instruction is a required pre-requisite for application.

Ds will be eligible for dual credit community college classes at 16. We're working on getting him ready for that. 

• Like 1

A.  I know we'll study these three subjects, but have not yet even begun choosing curriculum:

English

Geometry

World History or World Geography

Spanish--at a co-op with a teacher who taught Spanish in schools.  I like the idea of learning a language in a classroom setting. My hope is that it'll stick a bit more if he has a chance to converse with classmates.  I hope.

We are going to try the AOPS Geometry book for DD next year, and I will be ordering it in a few weeks.  I would be happy to lend it to you if you want to look at it.  

Also, I want to know where that Spanish co-op is.  DD could probably use that.

Our plans for ninth:

Geometry -- AOPS tentatively, maybe Saxon if AOPS is a fail (she's used Saxon for several years).

Biology -- Miller-Levine

Medieval history -- HOMW, maybe HORW, some stuff from History Odyssey

Medieval literature -- coordinated with history, also from my medieval and regular lists of Things She Needs To Read

Writing -- WWS2-3, The Creative Writer, writing for history

Spanish -- DuoLingo, other stuff that I'm not sure about yet -- 1 credit

Latin -- Latin Alive 1-2

Music -- more on the music history stuff we put together this year, more learning guitar and piano and any other instrument she can manage to teach herself (she has a list. . . ), voice lessons if we can figure out how to do that.

I'm figuring on 5-7 credits.  Latin and music, and possibly Spanish, will not probably be full credits, but it depends on time.

The family will be working through Literary Lessons From LOTR, so she will join in that, and we will weave it into writing as applicable.  The family will also be working through world geography, and while I told her she's not required to participate, she has expressed interest in certain parts, so I don't think she will be completely out of the picture.  (That's a tough thing with a bunch of kids -- she only has so much time in the day, but being both the oldest and the only girl is already sort of a tricky dynamic, and I try to find a balance between including her and not including her.  I opted to skip ancient history for her for next year so that we could all do medieval together because it's a prime time to do it with the younger ones, and I want her to have the memories of doing it with everyone.)

I told her typing is up to her.  It only takes her a few minutes a day, but she's completed most of the program and really just needs ongoing practice, which she's getting through doing her regular compositions on the computer.

Extracurricular -- Someone (ie her) has her eye on black belt, so that'll be her main activity.  Hopefully we can find a way to get some volunteer experience too.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

What are you using for medieval history?

We are using History of the Ancient World (along with three different Teaching Company CoursesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦took me awhile to make a syllabus coordinating all the Great Course lessons with the book chapters so they line up) so will continue with History of the Medieval World by SWB and add in the Great Courses I already own for that time period. 

Trying to do readings for Literature to go along with historyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦read Gilgamesh when studying that time period. Now working our way through The Iliad and next The Odyssey (along with the corresponding Great Course) as we study Ancient Greece. Hoping to do the same thing as we study medieval history.

*edited to correct the autocorrect from typing on my iPad

Edited by Donna
  • Like 3

I'm sorry about the difficult situation. A number of CCs do allow special registration. The charter school might be able to advice you regarding that and might even already have the relevant forms needed. Special registration typically enables your DDs to take about 6-7 units a semester (I think that's the cut off) with charter signing off for the under age students. Mentioning it as an option if you were considering CC earlier than 10th. Other than that, I hope the charter is working out for them. That and CC seem to be the smoothest a-g options left to us if not taking the testing route. But I am also starting to hear from more sources that UCs are not going to penalize students if a couple of courses are not a-g. Plus, I believe there is also a way to explain special circumstances in the application. Good luck!

• Like 1

LEGOManiac did this:

Algebra 2 (Phil 4) with 2nd half of Geometry (Jacob's)

Physics (Phil 4)

English 9 (Abeka 9 Grammar/Vocab, World Literature & Killgallon)

Human Geography w/ mapwork

Health & PE 9

Italian Language & Culture 1

PonyGirl will do this:

PreCalculus (probably with Statistics)

Physics (either AP 1 or regular), possibly AP Environmental Science

English 9 (Abeka Grammar and Vocab 10, with World Literature + Killgallon Paragraphs for High School)

AP Human Geography (I have to put this together)

Health & PE 9 (Abeka + workout schedule)

German 3

Marine Biology (Apologia)

Drama (at the school)

And PokeMan is shaping up to look like this:

Algebra 2, maybe some AoPS Counting and Probability/Number Theory

Conceptual Physics

English 9 (WWS3, Killgallon, Abeka Grammar & Vocab with World Literature)

Probably World History or Human Geography not sure if AP or not.

Chinese 3

Robotics 1

Game Design, animation, art or programming

Health & PE 9

• Like 1

Derek Owens Algebra 1 (he is almost finished with the AOPS Alg 1 part A class but wants to try Derek Owens)

Physics (Wilson Hill)

Literature of War - mostly discussion, a few essays and a research paper.

Japanese 1 (he already wanted to do this last year but the class was full so no Chinese 2) his year

German - we will be using German ESL materials, mostly speaking with me

Medieval History - selfmade, based on Great Courses

Game Design, Programming

Ceramics at the high school, Digital Arts

Edited by rdj2027
  • Like 1

This is my 3rd and final 9th grader.  So far, this is what I am planning.

English - WWS 3, Elements of Literature, Warriner's Grammar and Composition, I'm not sure yet what books she'll read

Algebra II - Maybe Blitzer's College Algebra, maybe Forrester's

Spanish -Paso A Paso, Practice Makes Perfect Series, and something for listening

Biology - DE at LAC

American Government

Health

This was my son's 9th grade year:

Apologia Physical Science

Algebra I - CLE

World Geography - local coop

Omnibus - Coop

Progym - Coop

Spanish I - La Clase

Logic

PE

Extracurricular:  Boy Scouts, Cotillion, Volunteering at Food Pantry

This will be my dd's next year:

Saxon Advanced Math

Saxon Physics or Spectrum Chem

Omnibus

Spanish 4 with Ray Leven

Latin 3 with Lukeion or Lone Pine

AP Psychology - Either designed by me at home or through PA Homeschoolers

AP Computer Science - Edhesive

Extracurricular:  Speech and Debate, Piano, Volunteer work helping to plan and organize local Cub Scout camp

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1

I don't know if Dd12 will be doing 8th or 9th grade next year. I probably won't know which it was for a couple of years. I'd like it to be worth high school credit in case.

Math: Finish AoPS Intro to Algebra and do Jacobs Geometry.

Science: Apologia Biology

Latin: continue our slow progress through Wheelock's

Foreign Language: Spanish I, but I'm not sure which curriculum

Logic: Traditional Logic

Geography: I'd like to do AP Human Geography, but I don't know where to start with that. I need to spend some time figuring high school things out.

History/Literature (2 credits): TOG Year 2, R level, with Lively Art of Writing

If I decide to make this 9th grade, should I include anything else? PE? Music?

She does Civil Air Patrol, TKD (typically 5+ hours per week), and piano, but I would like to eventually list those as extracurricular activities and not classes.

She will be doing Mapping the World with Art, Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings with the family, and various other things with the other kids.

• Like 1

still trying to figure it out.  Some days I think anyone other than me would be a better guide to his hormonal emotional stages ;-)  His sister is right behind him and will actually be doing geometry as well.  I am so torn on how much to put them together, or just plan separately.  

English:  LLLOTR, finish IEW SWICC-B, more reading tied to History

Math: Jacobs Geometry

History: Notgrass World

Science: Environmental Science

PE:  at least 1/2 credit, possible 1

Unknown:  Foreign Language(may wait to start next year), Logic class online(?), Fine Arts(he may do a theater class, he usually sings at church twice a year, we may do some art video lessons), other(?)

• Like 1

We are planning:

TabletClass Geometry

Latin 2-3 with Latin Book 2 and Latin via Ovid

Oak Meadow English 9

Honors Biology with Miller Levine Macaw + CLEP (just as a way to document the level of learning)

History of Greece and Rome with History of Rome podcast, Great Courses lectures, interest-led readings, research paper

PE - fulfilled by hockey

Health - KidsHealth website teen topics, interest-led research, final project

She will also continue to participate in a teen writing club, volunteer at a wildlife rehab, participate in a book club, and either join a Youth in Government group or participate in youth theater.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 3

Tiptoeing into high school board with a SN child.

Algebra - probably AoPS

Language arts - likely Memoria Press 9th grade selections for literature, not sure how to approach writing at this time

(Special needs largely affect writing ability, both physically and neurologically, so unsure how this will look.)

World history - Memoria Press 9th grade, plus Great Courses

Biology

French II

Logic - from Classical Academic Press

Ongoing electives:

PE (golf and, hopefully, weight training)

Shakespeare (We have a membership to theater and will read and see two plays a year throughout high school, plus Great Courses DVDs)

Fine arts (French art/artists)

Programming

• Like 2

My 9th grade unschooler is doing:

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2

Life of Fred High School Language Arts series

No Fear Vocabulary

Painless Life Science

Short Lessons in World History

TASC prep workbook

Drawing fundamentals class at the community college

Piano lessons

Muay Thai kickboxing 3x/week

Self study of 2D animation, music editing, tenor ukulele, and reptiles & birds.

• Like 2

Algebra 2 (AoPS, finish intro to algebra and get as far into intermediate as we can)

Chemistry

Ancient history and literature

Composition (outsourced)

Spanish (outsourced)

Traditional Logic 2 (1/2 credit)

Programming (1/2 credit, probably AOPS classes)

We may shoot for 1/2 credit over the summer in music history, or one of AoPS CP or NT classes.

• Like 1

I haven't decided if next year will count as 9th grade or 8th grade.

Math - AoPS Intro to Algebra book for the Algebra 2 section or possibly shifting to the Counting and Probability book 

Social Studies/History - World geography.  I have the Glencoe World Geography book, which is OK.  I plan to supplement it with a lot of articles and books and maps.

Science - Earth Science or Physical Geography.  I'm loving the samples of Exploring Physical Geography and Exploring Earth Science books by Reynolds.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0078095166/ref=nav_timeline_asin?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I ordered a used copy of his Exploring Geology book to see if the format works for us.  There are a lot of pages in common across the samples, so I may go with the one I can get for a reasonable price.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0073524123/ref=nav_timeline_asin?ie=UTF8&psc=1

English - We're building a basket of "crackin' good reads" for him to go through.  Stuff that will stretch him, but might not be something that we analyze to death.  Then either Windows to the World or Writing with Skill for writing practice.

Latin - Toying with the idea of Lukeion Latin 1.  I've been an abject failure at teaching modern foreign languages, even if I know them well.  This is clearly a subject that I need to outsource for consistency.

Boy Scouts - I'd love to see him get through Life rank and be working on Eagle scout stuff.  But slow and steady here.

PE - Outrigger canoe paddling (and maybe adding sailing)

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 3

DS's 9th grade will probably incorporate these resources:

English - Lost Tools of Writing, selected topics in WWS3, Scott Foresman Patterns in Literature, book club

Geometry - needs to be outsourced, self-paced (not following traditional school year) and with video instruction, so currently considering Derek Owens (but some negative opinions about Jacobs 3rd ed. are bothering me) or Teaching Textbooks (seems to thoroughly cover all the same topics as Jacobs and DS approved of the sample lessons he's watched)

Biology - Miller Levine (the iPad version of the text is especially appealing to both of us) + labs from The Home Scientist

World Geography - Geography Alive, videos from The Great Courses' Cultural & Human Geography, Georgia Virtual Learning and Annenberg, and notebooking

Computer Fundamentals - outsourced

Health and Fitness - using Oak Meadow syllabus

extracurrics: baseball & golf

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

Dh and I just finalized our 9th grader's year. Due to various circumstances most of his classes will be outsourced which I think will actually work better for him. Because dh is the primary teacher and ds is 14 <sigh> there have been some chest bumping, alpha male issues cropping up lately; so, having ds be responsible to others for his school work may help smooth that father-son relationship. Anyway:

Math - Algebra 1

Science - either Biology w/lab or Environmental Science w/lab

English - Intro to Rhetoric/Ancient Literature

History - Ancient History

FL - Latin

PE - probably TKD. He has his 2nd degree BB and we're working with his instructor on a program/set of goals for him

Elective - possibly LLoLOTR w/his sister. We'll probably have to beef up his assignments in order for this to count as a credit. I may award him 0.5 credits. We'll see.

Extra curricular - CAP

• Like 1

Geometry - needs to be outsourced, self-paced (not following traditional school year) and with video instruction, so currently considering Derek Owens (but some negative opinions about Jacobs 3rd ed. are bothering me) or Teaching Textbooks (seems to thoroughly cover all the same topics as Jacobs and DS approved of the sample lessons he's watched)

We are using Jacobs Geometry with the Askdrcallahan videos.  here is a blog post they had about the 2nd/3rd editions:  https://www.askdrcallahan.com/category/blog/

For me, I could afford buying videos and using for both kids.  I couldn't afford to pay Mr Owens twice for the same course.  

• Like 2

Do you have a plan for how and when you will decide? I have been struggling with what to do for a couple of years. I've put off making a decision, hoping it would become obvious at some point.

I think my answer is "it depends."

I think we're settling into the idea of "8th Grade, The Sequel."  There are few big red flags that would make me say he has failed to make acceptable progress.  I simply feel that he is still fighting with writing, and I want that to be more solid when he starts high school.

I probably don't have to really decide until Aug, when I need to send in a Letter of Intent to the local school.

And I also know that I can revisit the grade assignment down the road in high school.  Math and foreign language could be either 8th or 9th.  Science and social studies might also be valid for either grade.  So it will depend on what happens down the road.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

World History - Oak Meadow (I think - not sure about this one yet)

English 2 - Lightning Literature American Literature, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Fix It! Grammar

Spanish - dual enrollment at community college

Biology - I think we're using Oak Meadow with a lab intensive from Landry Academy

Algebra 2 - Thinkwell

P.E. - gymnastics

Health - Oak Meadow

She volunteers at the library once a week, too.

Erica

Edited by ebh87
  • Like 2

I am finally at peace with my plans for my dd for next year.

Math - MUS algebra
Language Arts- Essentials in writing and Essentials in literature
World History - using Glencoe World History textbook along with other resources

AP studio Art-drawing - along with outsourced art lessons
Foreign language - Discover Spanish
PE- archery lessons
Music - piano / clarinet lessons and choir

I will not be doing science this year, and focusing more on fine arts and music. I think it will be good for her.

I plan on doing physical science in 10th, Biology in 11th, and Chemistry in 12th.

History I plan on doing Geography in 10th, US History in 11th, and Gov and Ec in 12th.

Math will be Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th, and Consumer Math in 12th.

I also plan on doing two more years of Spanish during high school, another year of art, and High School Health.

We will continue her music lessons and anything else she might want to do.

I'm really happy with this plan and so is she :)

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 7