Menu

Cartoons like Little Bear or Kipper- suggestions

Hilltopmom

I really don't like most typical little kid TV shows, too loud, too fast, too bright.

Nickelodeon & even the PBS stuff (Super Why is "educational" , yes,but still too busy, IMo)

Honestly, I prefer no TV until school age, but this time around, I am letting the almost 3 yr old watch a show for awhile most days while I make dinner. Everyone is spent from schoolwork & playing with the littles earlier in the day by then. I have busy bags & other stuff for her all day, so

I'm not too concerned about a bit at the end of the day.

Anyways, I'm trying to find other " gentle to the senses" cartoons, like Little Bear or Kipper (simple, slow, not a bunch of catchy songs or lots of pop up characters).

Bonus points for anything on Netflix or Amazon prime.

Any suggestions for me?

(Of shows please, not a critique of letting my toddler watch TV, nor other things to keep her busy, I know all about sensory bins, swings, table time, etc. Not trying to sound snarky, but I know TV gets to be a controversial topic on occasion.) Thanks a bunch!

• Like 2

Honestly I can't remember if there is a storyline, seems like the day-to-day life of a little kid. His voice can be quite grating to some adults, but I know that his show isn't fast-paced.

Look for the older versions of kid shows. I know there was a Berenstein Bears cartoon in the early 90s. It might also be over her head, but it might hold her attention and each episode has a moral and the vocabulary isn't so infantile that its demeaning.

• Like 1

I cheated.  I had my son put some family photos to music using some Apple program to make the video. They taught him how at a field trip to the Apple store.  So at my house I use AIRPLAY to put it on for my young nephew and I burned a DVD for my parents' house when they're watching him. His parents don't care if he watches kid shows, but I find them highly annoying so he doesn't watch them here. LOL So far he doesn't care, he asks for "Tita's movie" by name!  

Bonus, I had a big say in the music  :lol: so it's tolerable even if I'm in a different room. But it's been good because he's learning to recognize some of our relatives who live farther away.  He's still confused that there's a kid on Tita's TV who looks just like him ... putting 2+2 together might not be his strong suit, maybe I ought to put on some TED talks instead. LOL

• Like 1

I LOVE the idea of making our own,

I can totally give that to my teen as a job:)

It's so nice when they get to the age we can do that, right?!

"Son! Bake momma some brownies, please?"

"Daughter, run to the store for some toilet paper please?"

:lol: the teen years are where it starts to pay off some!

• Like 1

I like Little Einsteins, which is on Netflix. Blues Clues is also gentle, IMO. A new one sort of like that is Tumble Leaf on amazon prime. Classic Winnie the Pooh is a good one, as is Wall-E if you are up for movies instead. There are some classic Mr. Rogers Neighborhood on either Netflix or Amazon (can't remember which). The new show Puffin Rock on Netflix is pretty quiet as well. I am a fan of quiet shows too. 😊

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 3

Oswald is beautiful. Gentle, slowly paced, lovely music. Fred Savage (of the Wonder Years) does Oswald's voice.

Blue's Room and Blue's Clues

Too Cute (Follows litters of puppies and kittens though their first 8-12 weeks. I admit, I love it, too.) 

On DVD: Puppy Plays the Classics, Puppy Party, Kitten Party

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Harry and his bucket of dinosaurs?

Stella and Sam?

The gruffalo! and the gruffalo's daughter.

But yeah my kids basically were all Thomas, all the time at that age.

Oswald is beautiful. Gentle, slowly paced, lovely music. Fred Savage (of the Wonder Years) does Oswald's voice.

Blue's Room and Blue's Clues

Too Cute (Follows litters of puppies and kittens though their first 8-12 weeks. I admit, I love it, too.) 

On DVD: Puppy Plays the Classics, Puppy Party, Kitten Party

Awe, I forgot about Oswald.  And his dog Weenie.  They didn't make near enough episodes of Oswald. 

• Like 2

I'm right there with you.

'Justin Time' - this is such an awesome, educational show. It is so sweet, the characters are sweet, nothing bad happens, it's about history. It really needs a lot more publicity than it gets.

Really like 'Stella and Sam' because the siblings are so nice to each other.

'Kate and Mim-mim'

'DragonTales'

'Lily's Driftwood Bay' - another show where they are very respectful to each other

Edited by Tohru
  • Like 1

I forgot to add 'Yakari' - I really don't like the shows where they're mean or rude, however in this one, one of the older boys occasionally lightly teases Yakari.

I've found the PARENT reviews at Common Sense Media to be an excellent source for deciding what's good or not. You have to scroll down to see them.

• Like 1

I have no idea if these are available streaming or not, but when I saw Little Bear, these popped into mind that we also enjoyed at the same age. 

Maggie and The Ferocious Beast

Miffy & Friends

Peep And The Big Wide World- this one especially.  It was so sweet!

Maggie The Ferocious Beast is a favorite of mine, and slower. 

Also Franklin maybe?

Jay Jay the Jet Plane if you can find it. 

Oh, and on amazon prime there is a show called Little Travelers...it's home videos basically of two sisters in various countries. My 3 year old adores it. 

• Like 1

Franklin, Bear in the Big Blue House, Oswald, Sagwa: The Chinese Siamese Cat (adorable show of a bunch of cats that use their tails to write messages for the magistrate), Dragon Tales (can be a bit annoying voice-wise though).

I wouldn't recommend Caillou (mostly his attitude problems).

Edited by candicane
  • Like 2

We have a DVD "The World of Peter and Rabbit and Friends." It is the BBC version of the Beatrix Potter tales. I love it so much, it is true to her writings, VERY calm, and the cartoon is true to the original illustrations in the book. My kids have outgrown it, but I am keeping it because it is one of my favorite children's DVDs. We also had The Little Bear movie when the kids were very young.

I also loved Oswald and Maggie and the Ferocious Beast when the kids were young. My daughter just discovered a show called "Franny's Feet" on Netflix. She is 7, but I think it is suitable for much younger as well. The Lala Loopsie (sp?) shows on Netflix are very calm.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 2

The Wiggles! I am recommending them because I think that your child will have a lot of fun watching them even though you only asked for cartoons with storylines (there are some small storylines with a dinosaur, dog etc inside each wiggles episode, I remember).

Edited by mathnerd

I have zero recommendations. I just wanted to say thanks for the flashback! I totally forgot about Kipper and Little Bear.

The baby of our family turned 10 on Tuesday. :) :( :) We're out of the single digits now.

We loved The Wiggles. Saw them in concert!

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

We have a DVD "The World of Peter and Rabbit and Friends." It is the BBC version of the Beatrix Potter tales. I love it so much, it is true to her writings, VERY calm, and the cartoon is true to the original illustrations in the book. My kids have outgrown it, but I am keeping it because it is one of my favorite children's DVDs. We also had The Little Bear movie when the kids were very young.

I also loved Oswald and Maggie and the Ferocious Beast when the kids were young. My daughter just discovered a show called "Franny's Feet" on Netflix. She is 7, but I think it is suitable for much younger as well. The Lala Loopsie (sp?) shows on Netflix are very calm.

Love, love, love these Beatrix Potter DVDs, along with Oswald, Little Bear, Franklin, and Kipper.  We also loved  Kristen's Fairy House, which my Amazon history tells me I bought when my kids were 4 and nearly 3  :001_wub: .

Edited by sparrow
  • Like 1

What a great trip down my children's childhood this thread is (blowing nose into kleenex).  Anywho, my all time favorite is Charlie and Lola.  I thought it gentle but not too syrupy sweet ifywim.  Recently, I found almost the entire set of dvd's at a local bookstore and bought them because hopefully I'll have grandchildren someday.  If not, I can watch them in my rocker when I'm 80.

David the Gnome from ages ago was one of of older boys favorites.  They still talk about it even though they are in their 20's. :-)   

• Like 1

What a great trip down my children's childhood this thread is (blowing nose into kleenex). Anywho, my all time favorite is Charlie and Lola. I thought it gentle but not too syrupy sweet ifywim. Recently, I found almost the entire set of dvd's at a local bookstore and bought them because hopefully I'll have grandchildren someday. If not, I can watch them in my rocker when I'm 80.

David the Gnome from ages ago was one of of older boys favorites. They still talk about it even though they are in their 20's. :-)

*I* loved David the Gnome!

Eta: it looks like it's on Amazon Prime!

Edited by Kathryn