Menu

LIPs help

Dd failed the Barton screening so I am going to start looking into LIPs but I am a little overwhelmed. How hard is it to implement? How long did it take your DC to progress? Are there any tips you have about using it? I have used Visualizing and Verbalizing from Linda Bell Mood and I really did not like the format. I did not like how it was the combination of explaining about why they use the method followed by an example but it was not really in an open and go format. I really had a hard time knowing if the answers were what they were looking for and I had to flip around and read. I am much better with clear lesson plans that go day by day. I do not really have other options though because she will need this and it is too expensive for the evals and tutoring. I need some advice though. What will the lessons with LIPs be like?

LIPS is scripted for each lesson, and you *can* literally just pick up the book and read it.  I suggest you take the time to pre-read the lesson and wrap your brain around the material.  It is NOT hard, but it seems confusing at first because so many little things will be new.  Once they come together for you, you'll be fine.  

Remember, this material is all new for your dc too.  Really, with each lesson you're just going to introduce a *few* new things.  Like you might do p/b, because they are paired in how they are produced.  Say them each now, /p/, /b/, and feel how your mouth makes them.  Now put your hand on your throat and you feel that when you say /b/ your motor turns on.  It's noisy or voiced.  That's how simple it's going to be.  You're going to have scripts that show you exactly how to explain these things, and you're going to do them together, just a few letters a day or a few letters a week, letting it all click.  You'll learn to connect the faces (how it looks, how it feels) to what we're saying and what we're writing.  You'll practice blending with faces, slowly saying the sounds on the faces and figuring out what happens when you blend them.  For my ds, THIS was the HARDEST THING.  Like way harder than anything we've done in Barton since then.  Seriously.  

So it's rocket science, but it's all spelled out to you.  You'll go through it slowly and you'll learn it.  Did you pass the tutor screening for Barton?  I hate to mention it, but it is something she wants you to do.  If you haven't done that, now would be a good time.

Nope, just the manual and the lips face magnets.  That's IT.  Skip everything else.  Well some people like the DVD.  And, you know, maybe that would be worth it for you to feel more comfortable.  I would just use your judgment on that.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Get the DVD. LiPS Is scripted but it is not as easily followed as Barton, IMHO. I strongly urge you to find another willing adult for you to practice on for the first few lessons until you get the hang of things. You can do this. You can. Absolutely. As with anything worthwhile in remediation, though, you are going to need some prep and some practice. Best wishes.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 3

I've been using LiPS with a student since the middle of September. So far it's been LIFE-CHANGING! Until this year his reading was stuck at around a beginning K level, and he's 11. Fast forward to now  and he's made about 5 months of progress in about 5 months, according to his DRA. That might not sound like a lot, but for a kid who has made almost ZERO progress in FIVE YEARS of schooling, it's pretty exciting.

I have a background in teaching reading so I thought LiPS was pretty easy to implement, but I think it would be pretty easy for a non-reading teacher as well. The manual is HUGE and long, but you don't have to read it all at once. Just read the introduction chapter and the section on teaching consonants, and start doing that. When you get going on the consonants, start reading about the vowels, and so on. It's been five months and we're starting to do "magic e" words (though LiPS approaches them in a different and cool way).

The materials I have are:  the manual, the small mouth magnets, and lower-case letter tiles. You can buy any tiles you want, though, they don't have to be the official ones. 

If you have any questions, please ask!  I'm a total LiPS evangelist now  :laugh:

• Like 2

At the beginning, our 30-minute lessons went something like this:  Introduce a few new consonant "brothers," like P/B and F/V. Practice saying them and noticing if they are quiet or noisy (make your throat vibrate or not). I would set out an array of about five mouth pictures, and ask him to make the sound, /P/, and then find the picture that most closely matched his mouth. That all might take 15 minutes. You can add to it by doing phonemic awareness activities like saying a word and having your child decide where the sound is... in the word "pot" where do you feel the popper?  Beginning or end? Etc.

It gets more exciting when you start doing vowels, because you can start blending things like /i/ /p/..... ip!  You constantly remind your student to "feel your mouth!"  When you say "ip," what did you feel first?  What did you feel at the end? 

For this kid, it was like sounds in words suddenly existed. It was very motivating for both of us.

• Like 4