Menu

Sudden/severe restless legs?

muttmomma

A family member is having crazy insomnia and restles legs. Here is what I know:

My cousin had a gallbladder attack in early December. They decided to take it out. It took a week to get into the surgery, during which time he was popping percocet around the clock and not sleeping for more than a few hours at a time.

Got it out, was given pain meds in the hospital and then took them for another week at home.

During this time he was laying around, not eating well/much and basically miserable.

Since then he has had the worse insomnia I've ever heard of. His legs are hurting all day, but worse at night, to the point of not being able to go to sleep or only sleeping a few hours.

His wife told me that he's taking things to sleep with little sucess. I just feel so bad for him, he is barely functioning.

Any ideas of why this might have happened after his surgery?

Muttmomma

• Like 1

They have him an antibiotic, but I don't know which one. I can ask him.

His wife said she was putting magnesium lotion on his legs.

I think he takes an antidepressant.

I know that he went to the doctor, but they weren't helpful beyond suggesting a sleep study. That's why I came to the hive ;-)

Hurting vs. twitchy? When I think RLS, I think twitchy (either a feeling or actual jerking). The pain makes me think maybe blot clots post-surgery.

I think potassium is also something that helps RLS along with magnesium. I remember my aunt eating a banana every night before bed to help with jerky, twitchy legs.

• Like 2

I notice restless leg symptoms if I forget to take a multivitamin.  I think it might be a b vitamin thing for some people.  I'd recommend a good quality well balanced multivitamin if they are not doing that.  His nutrition could be off after a gall bladder surgery?

I have had miserable restless legs; here are a few suggestions: Floridex iron, but just a bit, even a few drops since he is a man and the iron can build up quickly; and folic acid. I have even put icy hot and vicks vapor rub on my legs, and yes, it helped. Some people drink tonic water for restless legs.

I also agree with what Wooly Socks said about B vitamins, so perhaps include the other B's with the folic acid.

I hope he feels better very soon!

Edited by trulycrabby

Sometimes RLS is related to low iron.  Once, when my RLS was at an all-time high, I happened to be diagnosed as anemic.  I was put on a heavy dose of iron tablets for about two months.  My RLS drastically improved, to the point of barely noticing it at all.

• Like 2

Thanks all. I think that hurt and twitch. I just thought it was so strange that it stated right after his traumatic couple of weeks.

I believe physical stress depletes magnesium levels--maybe that combined with dietary changes to cope with the gall bladder problem have exacerbated things. Hope he feels better soon.

• Like 1

I had gallbladder surgery two months ago, and this thread made me remember that my restless legs were pretty awful for a few days after I stopped taking prescription pain medicine. I only took opiods for a about four days, and your family member took it for several weeks, so my guess is his RLS is at least partly due to opiod withdrawal.

• Like 1

Update. I spoke to his wife today. He has an appointment in a week with a neuro/sleep the.

The past few nights he has taken one of the left over pain pills at bedtime and has slept better than he has in nearly six weeks.

I looked up opioid withdrawal, and it looks like restless legs and insomnia are listed. Seems strange that it would go on for almost six weeks after the pills were discontinued.

• Like 1